Kelly Starrett Supple Leopard: pelvic tilt vs. squeezing your glutes
Posted: 20 July 2013 06:20 PM   [ Ignore ]
Pack Member
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  124
Joined  2012-07-11

Hey all,

as the topic suggests I finally bit the bullet and purchased Kelly Starrett’s book: Supple Leopard.  In it, he discusses maintaining proper spinal position.  For the set up he discusses squeezing your glutes vs. Tilting your pelvis.  My question is, what is the distinction?  Because, it seems that to really generate muscular tension in your butt, you have to aggressively tilt your pelvis forward (or at least that’s the case with me)  Maybe it’s a motor cue, but I cannot seem to “Squeeze my glutes”.

Posted: 20 July 2013 06:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  9929
Joined  2007-01-08
Aspire - 20 July 2013 06:20 PM

Hey all,

as the topic suggests I finally bit the bullet and purchased Kelly Starrett’s book: Supple Leopard.  In it, he discusses maintaining proper spinal position.  For the set up he discusses squeezing your glutes vs. Tilting your pelvis.  My question is, what is the distinction?  Because, it seems that to really generate muscular tension in your butt, you have to aggressively tilt your pelvis forward (or at least that’s the case with me)  Maybe it’s a motor cue, but I cannot seem to “Squeeze my glutes”.

Motor control issue.

Go someplace people can’t see you. Or not, your call.
Reach behind you and grab your butt right at the top of your thighs. Almost under your glutes. Where, if you had a huge overhanging butt, you would grab it to lift that overhang up.
Contract that bit. I’ll bet you find it hard to turn that bit on and not squeeze your lower back into an arch instead.

That bit you’re grabbing is what Kelly seems to mean when he talks about squeezing your butt. That’s what is supposed to power your squat and it’s what you see almost ridiculously well developed in power lifters who box squat a lot.

Signature 

Craig Massey

“The point of CF is to get better at life.  Being unable to workout tomorrow because you were pigheaded today is not in line with our goals.”
Garddawg - 22 March 2009

“CrossFit is not dangerous.
Bad coaching is dangerous, poor movement is dangerous. Ego is dangerous.
CrossFit, properly scaled to the individual is the safest and most efficient program available for strength, conditioning and movement.”
BlueBugofJustice - 18 August 2009

Posted: 21 July 2013 09:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Pack Member
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  124
Joined  2012-07-11

Yeah.  I end up arching my lower back instead and tightening the lower back region.  Anything I can do to resolve this motor control issue?

thanks!