Newbe
Posted: 05 August 2013 07:20 AM   [ Ignore ]
Puppy Dawg
Rank
Total Posts:  9
Joined  2012-05-22

I have been training for the Peak Races, Death Races, Spartan Races since July of 2012.  I have come a long way, but need to change things up on my workouts.  Does anybody have any suggestions?  I am in the gym 7 days a week plus workout at home, I need a full body routine for 3 days a week plus 4 days of cardio mixed up with WOD, running, and spinning. 

I have been doing a 3 day full body workout 4 sets 12-15 reps but mostly machines, very few free weights because I come from a powerlifting background March of 2012 around 280lbs heavy benching deads etc..  Now a hard 220lbs, lots of cardio very fit around 7% bf.  Want to get under 200lbs and i know most has to do with nutrition and calorie intake, I eat very well.  I have always wanted that look of the crossfit male, you know 200 lbs or so, 6 pack, hard as a rock.  I need to get a workout that has snatches, cleans, muscle ups etc.. 

I dont know if I will ever compete in a crossfit comp, I just turned 44 and I compete in 9 contests a year now with Peak Races.  I train with Andy Weiberg and Joe Desena of the Spartan and Peak Races.  I just want to switch things up with a weekly routine..

Any help brothers let me know…

Mark

Posted: 05 August 2013 10:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Top Dawg
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3675
Joined  2007-12-23
InsaneHurricane - 05 August 2013 07:20 AM

I have been training for the Peak Races, Death Races, Spartan Races since July of 2012.  I have come a long way, but need to change things up on my workouts.  Does anybody have any suggestions?  I am in the gym 7 days a week plus workout at home, I need a full body routine for 3 days a week plus 4 days of cardio mixed up with WOD, running, and spinning. 

I have been doing a 3 day full body workout 4 sets 12-15 reps but mostly machines, very few free weights because I come from a powerlifting background March of 2012 around 280lbs heavy benching deads etc..  Now a hard 220lbs, lots of cardio very fit around 7% bf.  Want to get under 200lbs and i know most has to do with nutrition and calorie intake, I eat very well.  I have always wanted that look of the crossfit male, you know 200 lbs or so, 6 pack, hard as a rock.  I need to get a workout that has snatches, cleans, muscle ups etc.. 

I dont know if I will ever compete in a crossfit comp, I just turned 44 and I compete in 9 contests a year now with Peak Races.  I train with Andy Weiberg and Joe Desena of the Spartan and Peak Races.  I just want to switch things up with a weekly routine..

Any help brothers let me know…

Mark

If you want the CrossFit Bod follow the CrossFit WOD.

Signature 

CrossFit start date September 2007, joined the these boards December 2007

“Real strength never impairs beauty or harmony, but it often bestows it; and in everything imposingly beautiful, strength has much to do with the magic.”
- Hermin Melville

F/52yrs

Posted: 06 August 2013 01:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Top Dawg
Total Posts:  1683
Joined  2008-02-14

What are your perceived weaknesses?  Or, why do you think your current routine isn’t effective?

At 220 and 7% body fat you’ll never get under 200 without loss of lean muscle mass.  You’re only packing 15# of fat as it is.  Are you trying to be lean to increase running efficiency or something like that?

The standard answer you’ll get around here is to follow the CF WODs.  CF Endurance may be another resource for you to look at if you are looking at longer-duration races.

Posted: 07 August 2013 04:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Puppy Dawg
Rank
Joined  2012-05-22

I want to do the open for the masters division 40-44 in March of 2014.  My routine is effective but in order to do those 5 WODs for the open I need to switch up my gym routine to those types of movements…  I am not sure if I will get enough work in just doing the WODs everyday, but I could be wrong.. 

I am preety lean and muscular, Look at Rich Froning that won this year 5’10 195 right?  And he is jacked I want to get in that kind of shape…  I am 5’10 220, I can get down to 199…  So I guess what I am asking, will doing just the WODs everyday get me ready for the open WODs in March for the masters… 

Thanks…

canis_nerdus - 06 August 2013 01:07 PM

What are your perceived weaknesses?  Or, why do you think your current routine isn’t effective?

At 220 and 7% body fat you’ll never get under 200 without loss of lean muscle mass.  You’re only packing 15# of fat as it is.  Are you trying to be lean to increase running efficiency or something like that?

The standard answer you’ll get around here is to follow the CF WODs.  CF Endurance may be another resource for you to look at if you are looking at longer-duration races.

Posted: 07 August 2013 08:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Top Dawg
Joined  2008-02-14
InsaneHurricane - 07 August 2013 04:41 AM

I want to do the open for the masters division 40-44 in March of 2014. 

So I guess what I am asking, will doing just the WODs everyday get me ready for the open WODs in March for the masters… 

Anyone can enter the Open.  I’m assuming that you want to go to Regionals or the Games and not just participate in the Open.

My guess is that most, not all, of the Regional competitors have some sort of personal or affiliate coaching and are doing more than just one WOD per day.  I don’t know if any follow the posted WOD from the main CF site.  Many, if not most, belong to affiliates that have their own programming.

There’s no reason to think that the mainsite WODs aren’t effective and they certainly are an easy way to begin CrossFit.  It might also be worth your time to do some research on what movements have been involved in the past Open and Regional competitions so that you can see what’s been involved in the past.  Also, the number of local CF-esque competitions are increasing and you might be able to find something local.

You can also look at the results of all those who competed in the past and then do the same WOD as them and see how you measure up.

Good luck!

Posted: 07 August 2013 10:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Puppy Dawg
Rank
Joined  2012-05-22

Yea I want to go tothe Games, the masters dont have to go to the Regionals, the top 20 open in each catagory goes straight to the games in July.  I have been doing research on youtube with workout routines etc.. that I will try and make up a weekly routine.  I thought somebody on this site was training for the Games and had some suggestions for a weekly routine..

Thanks

Mark

quote author=“canis_nerdus” date=“1375919314”]

InsaneHurricane - 07 August 2013 04:41 AM

I want to do the open for the masters division 40-44 in March of 2014. 

So I guess what I am asking, will doing just the WODs everyday get me ready for the open WODs in March for the masters… 

Anyone can enter the Open.  I’m assuming that you want to go to Regionals or the Games and not just participate in the Open.

My guess is that most, not all, of the Regional competitors have some sort of personal or affiliate coaching and are doing more than just one WOD per day.  I don’t know if any follow the posted WOD from the main CF site.  Many, if not most, belong to affiliates that have their own programming.

There’s no reason to think that the mainsite WODs aren’t effective and they certainly are an easy way to begin CrossFit.  It might also be worth your time to do some research on what movements have been involved in the past Open and Regional competitions so that you can see what’s been involved in the past.  Also, the number of local CF-esque competitions are increasing and you might be able to find something local.

You can also look at the results of all those who competed in the past and then do the same WOD as them and see how you measure up.

Good luck!

Posted: 07 August 2013 12:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Top Dawg
Joined  2008-02-14
InsaneHurricane - 07 August 2013 10:01 AM

Yea I want to go tothe Games, the masters dont have to go to the Regionals, the top 20 open in each catagory goes straight to the games in July.  I have been doing research on youtube with workout routines etc.. that I will try and make up a weekly routine.  I thought somebody on this site was training for the Games and had some suggestions for a weekly routine..

Ahh, now I’m with ya.

Brand X sent a team to the So Cal Regionals. 

There was another, BathMatt, in Canada West.  He qualified to go as an individual but went with a team to Regionals.  I don’t think their work is posted on the forum.

I’m not recalling any others who competed past the Open.

Posted: 07 August 2013 12:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Total Posts:  13217
Joined  2007-01-30

One reason we suggest you do just the mainsite wods for a while is that quite literally, you don’t know what you’re good at yet and what will tear you up.

There’s also the matter of recovery and amount of volume you can take.  I’m always worried if someone programs for themselves (particularly if they’ve no real experience with crossfit) is they’ll miss important things and kill themselves on others.  I mean, there’s a reason we still have coaches. 

So, take that for what it’s worth.  If you’re a firebreather, that’s awesome, we just don’t want you digging a hole for yourself, or not understanding where your real holes are fitness wise. 

TP

Signature 

The common denominator of success—- the secret of success of every man who has ever been successful—- lies in the fact that he formed the habit of doing things that failures don’t like to do.—Albert Grey

“Really Connor? Really?”—Jeff Martin

http://rantopedia.blogspot.com/ (my blog)
http://www.facebook.com/patrick.hoffman1

M-47/5’11”/180lbs

There’s a reason they don’t call it “Fight Gone Good”.