How do I do?
Posted: 12 August 2013 05:56 AM   [ Ignore ]
Stray Dawg
RankRank
Total Posts:  23
Joined  2013-08-11

Good Day guys!
So, as probably you can see I am new around here and I would be very pleased if you could help me understand the actual philosophy of CrossFit!
I have been working out about 6/7 years and I was quite a good lifting, I had 85Kg with a BF of 10%, but some health issues made me lose lot of my work! Now I am around 73Kg with a BF of 5%, in other words, I am not happy with my body!
At the start of the year I did some Spartacus workout, something that really let me going, made me feel pretty well and after I came back to normal lifting workout (with less weight) I was disapointed. So, some couple of days ago I start searching about training and was when I found about CF, I loved the workout and I am reading everything to understand better! The main point is I may have understand wrong or not, that is why I came to ask you! This happens because I am brazilian and I am not a good english reader!
I am very excited to start the CF, but before I do, I would like to get straight with the idea of CF. I am sorry if this was already answered, but I tryed to find the answer and I wasn’t able to!

What I want to know is:
-I work everyday, at 9am to 5 pm and go to University at night, so I have a short schedule, my workout days is Monday, Wednesday and Friday, my rest days are tuesday and thursday, at saturday and sunday I play soccer and rugby(sometimes). The thing is, Will I be able to do CF at this 3 days, resting between then? I mean, can I do the WOD of this days and still follow the main goal of CF?

-The other question I would like to ask is if I have to do the WOD the quickest I can? or I have to only do the reps, an example:
the monday WOD:
Monday 130812

For time:
50 Double unders
50 Burpees
50 Wall ball shots, 20 pound ball
50 Back extensions
50 Push press, 45 pounds
50 Knees to elbows
Walking Lunge, 50 steps
50 Kettlebell swings, 1 pood
50 Jumping pull-ups
50 Box jump, 24 inch box

For sure I will try complete everything, but do I have to workout the quickest I can without rest between the excercises? Or I should put more weights and only do the 50’s and rest about a minute or 2? I am not sure if you guys understand?

I reckon I could start right now if you guys could help me!
I am really sorry about my english, but as I said I am brazilian, so I am trying to do my best at english if anyone didn’t understand something, please ask me and I will try explain in other ways!
And again, I would like to ask sorry for the measures, but I don’t know how to convert Kg to Lbs and I am sorry for the long post too!
I am looking foward to an answer!
Thanks a lot to all!

Signature 

M / 21 / 161lb (73kg) / 5’9” (180cm)

“Quis attero mihi tantum planto mihi validus!”

Posted: 12 August 2013 09:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Top Dawg
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1683
Joined  2008-02-14

Welcome Toretta!

There are no problems with a Monday, Wednesday, Friday schedule.  The main CF site uses a 3-on, 1-off schedule, but we’ve all got to figure in our availability and apply it to our real lives.

As far as “do the WOD the quickest I can?”—don’t add breaks, rests, or additional time to the workouts.  The WOD is a single event that is to be done in a continuous effort.  You will find that you’ll likely need short breaks to catch your breath, address muscle fatigue, and regain mental clarity, but don’t stop for the sake of stopping.

Posted: 12 August 2013 09:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Pack Member
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  132
Joined  2011-01-13

But don’t forget this from GD:

CrossFit’s charter is Mechanics, Consistency, then (and only then) Intensity.  Most people skip the first two parts.  Mastering effective, efficient and safe movement should be our goal.  The idea of mastery incorporates an idea of “proven over time”.  If my movement is effective and efficient I will move faster, I will move more load, and I will be able to move longer.  People have it backwards, effective, efficient movement allows us to drive up our intensity in a safe manner. 

http://www.crossfitbrandx.com/index.php/forums/viewthread/15448/#276265:

Posted: 12 August 2013 11:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Stray Dawg
RankRank
Joined  2013-08-11

Thanks mate!
I will start today the CF, then I will try give a feedback here!
Many thanks!

Signature 

Posted: 14 August 2013 10:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Stray Dawg
RankRank
Joined  2013-08-11

So, monday was my first time doing CF, I tried do the rx’d and I almost did it!

Warm-up:

3 rounds of 10-15 reps of
Samson Stretch (do the Samson Stretch once each round for 15-30 seconds)
Overhead Squat with broomstick
Sit-up
Back-extension
Pull-up
Dip

Workout:

MONDAY 130812

50 Double unders
50 Burpees
50 Wall ball shots, 20 pound ball
50 Back extensions
35 Push press, 45 pounds
35 Knees to elbows (actually, I did 10-10-10-5)
Walking Lunge, 50 steps
35 Kettlebell swings, 1/2 pood (18lb)
50 Jumping pull-ups
50 Box jump, 24 inch box

Time: 48min and 05sec.

Should I keep doing as rx’d or should I start doing the pack?
By the way, as I am new around here I should say: I LOVED THE CF

Signature 

Posted: 14 August 2013 11:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Top Dawg
Joined  2008-02-14
Toretta - 14 August 2013 10:10 AM

So, monday was my first time doing CF, I tried do the rx’d and I almost did it!

Should I keep doing as rx’d or should I start doing the pack?

Good job!

Your efforts are commendable.  With all the clarity that hindsight provides, you probably bit off more than you should have.  The fast times for this workout were under 20 minutes.  Ideally you’d pick a scaling that would get you in the 20-ish minutes area.

That said, you had no basis to work off of so doing all the work that you did was admirable.

It may take you a while to determine which scale is the best fit for you.  Compare your results with others and do the best you can to pick a scale that will get you in the same realm.  Its not an exact science and you’ll get better at it as you go.  Keep going!

Also keep in mind that you may be Pack scale for one day and a Buttercup another.  And there may be days when you’re a Big Dawg, too.  Go day-by-day.

Posted: 14 August 2013 05:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Stray Dawg
RankRank
Joined  2013-08-11
canis_nerdus - 14 August 2013 11:11 AM

Good job!

Your efforts are commendable.  With all the clarity that hindsight provides, you probably bit off more than you should have.  The fast times for this workout were under 20 minutes.  Ideally you’d pick a scaling that would get you in the 20-ish minutes area.

Thanks very much for answering me, mate!

I will look for a WOD that suits me better the next time!
If you don’t mind, could you help me with this other thing?

Today I did the official warm-up and the WOD clean and jerk (Tuesday 130813) and I haven’t workout clean and jerk before, so I was afraid with the weights and to get hurt some how, but I felt I could put more weight and by the way I didn’t fail the last ones!

I did 66lb-77lb-88lb-92lb-97lb-97lb-97lb

Should I put the max weights to do only one rep? Right? But as I didn’t do this before, Should I keep going easy? My coach said I could get pretty hurt doing lots of weights, especially the knee!

One more thing, I went home okay today, I wasn’t feeling tired, Should I do something more when this happens?
I ask this because I want gain muscle and recover the size that I had before get sick!

I am sorry for asking all this questions, I just want to make sure I am doing it right! Sorry for bothering and again, Thanks very much for you effort to help me! I really appreciate!

Regards!

Signature 

Posted: 15 August 2013 09:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Top Dawg
Joined  2008-02-14
Toretta - 14 August 2013 05:37 PM

Today I did the official warm-up and the WOD clean and jerk (Tuesday 130813) and I haven’t workout clean and jerk before, so I was afraid with the weights and to get hurt some how, but I felt I could put more weight and by the way I didn’t fail the last ones!

I did 66lb-77lb-88lb-92lb-97lb-97lb-97lb

Should I put the max weights to do only one rep? Right? But as I didn’t do this before, Should I keep going easy? My coach said I could get pretty hurt doing lots of weights, especially the knee!

I think you did great.  The advice from Garddawg was:

“If you are unfamiliar with the lift please study the videos, start light and work on your technique.”

This is what you did.  You are a better man for it.  After you become proficient you will increase the weights.  Also, if you have a coach, then get them to help you correct your form.

Toretta - 14 August 2013 05:37 PM

One more thing, I went home okay today, I wasn’t feeling tired, Should I do something more when this happens?
I ask this because I want gain muscle and recover the size that I had before get sick!

Lots of people ask this question.  It is answered in one of the stickies (look here).

If you feel good and have time you can always work on other skills like double-unders, handstands, muscle-ups, or whatever it is that you need extra time for.  You do not need to feel completely crushed after every workout.  The affects of CrossFit are cummulative, so the work you do over the long term is more important that a single WOD.

Keep going, you’re heading the right direction!

Posted: 15 August 2013 12:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Stray Dawg
RankRank
Joined  2013-08-11
canis_nerdus - 15 August 2013 09:53 AM

Also, if you have a coach, then get them to help you correct your form.

Yes, he is helping me with the correct form of the excercise, although he heard about CF from me and actually said he will start do CF too, because he like it! ^^

canis_nerdus - 15 August 2013 09:53 AM

Lots of people ask this question.  It is answered in one of the stickies (look here). If you feel good and have time you can always work on other skills like double-unders, handstands, muscle-ups, or whatever it is that you need extra time for.  You do not need to feel completely crushed after every workout.  The affects of CrossFit are cummulative, so the work you do over the long term is more important that a single WOD.

I saw this stkicky indeed, but it confused me! What I mean is: I have an hour to do the workout of the day and I realize the WOD of the day can be done less then half an hour! I saw this post http://www.crossfitbrandx.com/index.php/forums/viewthread/13108/ and I would like to try the CFSB!

What I would like to know is if I can warm-up (official + double unders/handstands), do the CFSB and after do my WOD? And I would like to know too if the CFSB are compound only by back squat, deadlift, and press?

Again thanks for the quickly answer and for helping me!

p.s: MetCon (Metabolic Conditioning workout) means by the WOD? What is this actually? I am a bit lost!

Cheers mate!!

Signature 

Posted: 15 August 2013 01:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Pack Member
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  260
Joined  2010-05-20
Toretta - 15 August 2013 12:03 PM

Yes, he is helping me with the correct form of the excercise, although he heard about CF from me and actually said he will start do CF too, because he like it! ^^

It’s like a highly contagious disease… of awesomeness!

I saw this stkicky indeed, but it confused me! What I mean is: I have an hour to do the workout of the day and I realize the WOD of the day can be done less then half an hour! I saw this post http://www.crossfitbrandx.com/index.php/forums/viewthread/13108/ and I would like to try the CFSB!

IMO, I would counsel you to just stick to the WODs for a while. You’re only on your second day. Give them some time. You’ll start to notice that they’re kicking your butt. wink

Signature 

- Mike

Posted: 17 August 2013 11:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Stray Dawg
RankRank
Joined  2013-08-11
smithma7 - 15 August 2013 01:29 PM

IMO, I would counsel you to just stick to the WODs for a while. You’re only on your second day. Give them some time. You’ll start to notice that they’re kicking your butt. wink

Yes and I will follow your advice, I think I underestimate the CF, we always want something that change from night to day, but it isn’t like that! I will confess, after yesterday I felt good, really tired, I did the WOD 130814 “helen” in 17’54”, but I felt the blood pulsing!

And let me tell you, it has been quite a while that I felt like this good, this fit, do you know what I mean?
I reckon I will not leave the CF to soon!

Mate, what about the MetCon?

p.s: MetCon (Metabolic Conditioning workout) means by the WOD? What is this actually? I am a bit lost!

Could you help me? I am sorry asking you this, but I am not that good at english!

By the way, Thanks very much for your quickly answer and your promptitude!

Cheers mate!

Signature 

Posted: 17 August 2013 02:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  9851
Joined  2007-01-08
Toretta - 17 August 2013 11:01 AM

Mate, what about the MetCon?

Could you help me? I am sorry asking you this, but I am not that good at english!

By the way, Thanks very much for your quickly answer and your promptitude!

Cheers mate!

I’m not quite sure what you’re asking.

Metcons are usually circuits of movements that make you puff. Helen is a metcon.
ME (Maximum Effort) are strength work. The Clean and Jerk workout you did is an ME workout.
Monostructural are longer single exercise workouts, eg run 5km.

Signature 

Craig Massey

“The point of CF is to get better at life.  Being unable to workout tomorrow because you were pigheaded today is not in line with our goals.”
Garddawg - 22 March 2009

“CrossFit is not dangerous.
Bad coaching is dangerous, poor movement is dangerous. Ego is dangerous.
CrossFit, properly scaled to the individual is the safest and most efficient program available for strength, conditioning and movement.”
BlueBugofJustice - 18 August 2009

Posted: 19 August 2013 06:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Stray Dawg
RankRank
Joined  2013-08-11
Metric - 17 August 2013 02:14 PM

Metcons are usually circuits of movements that make you puff. Helen is a metcon.
ME (Maximum Effort) are strength work. The Clean and Jerk workout you did is an ME workout.
Monostructural are longer single exercise workouts, eg run 5km.

That is exactly what I would like to know!
Thanks a lot Metric!

Regards!

Signature