beginner
Posted: 01 September 2013 08:11 PM   [ Ignore ]
Puppy Dawg
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2013-09-01

Me and my wife have been looking for a workout that we both can do together and that wouldn’t get boring, so we decided that we want to start crossfit. so that being said how or where do we start? do we just start the WOD or is there somewhere else we start

Posted: 02 September 2013 03:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Top Dawg
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  847
Joined  2010-05-25

Option 1: Smart
Find a CrossFit gym in your area. Most will usually have a free introductory class and workout. Attend that class.

After the introductory class, attend the gym’s foundations class. The one’s I’ve had experience with require that everyone take this class. Here you will learn the proper range of motion for the core exercises and give the coaches an opportunity to see your quality of movement. The class I attended was 3 days but I’ve seen some that last as long as a week. Regardless, you will learn how to move safely, efficiently and if you have any deficiencies the coaches will work with you to develop the proper range of motion. 

After the class you can either join as a member or workout on your own using the online resources of CrossFit.com and the interwebz. Most questions can be answered here in the BrandX Beginners thread and exercise demos are on CrossFit.com or YouTube. 

Option 2: Sketchy
Just do the daily WOD.

Signature 

M/42/6’3.5/207
Current#: 206

CF DOB 05/25/10

Posted: 03 September 2013 07:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Top Dawg
Total Posts:  1683
Joined  2008-02-14

You can start anywhere.  There is no “first workout” or “Week 1”.  For many beginners its a little easier to start with a WOD that was posted several days ago.  You’ll be able to read about the workout, how its scaled, what people used for substitutions, and also see some representative times or scores.

Pick a starting point and choose a scaling and then just do it.  Keep some notes of how you did and post your results on the Brand X forum.  If you have questions, ask.  The next day move forward to the next posted workout, pick a scaling and go for it.  Lather, rinse, repeat.  Rest appropriately.

If you go to a CrossFit affiliate, they will script your workouts for you.

You should be able to do most workouts at any well-appointed gym.  There will be times when you need a substitution or two.  That is normal.  Lots of people don’t have ropes to climb, for instance, so when that movement comes up you’ll substitute it with something else.

Many people do the WODs at home, too.  Nothing wrong with this.  Hopefully you’ll have most of the items necessary to do the workout.

Posted: 04 September 2013 10:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Puppy Dawg
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2013-09-01

ok thank you guys.. me and my wife were wanting to do it on our own at home cause I have my own little gym in my garage and we were going to start our son on the crossfit for kids also.. I have tried different workouts like p90x, insanity, asylum, and tapout xt, and wanted to try something new that wont get boring

Posted: 04 September 2013 11:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Top Dawg
Total Posts:  847
Joined  2010-05-25
jgomez - 04 September 2013 10:16 AM

...wanted to try something new that wont get boring

That was me 3 years ago and I’m still here. The last thing you need to worry about is getting bored.

Start lighter than you think and always strive to improve. Good luck!

Signature 

M/42/6’3.5/207
Current#: 206

CF DOB 05/25/10

Posted: 04 September 2013 07:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Boxer
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  515
Joined  2012-07-02

Welcome!

Signature 

Dawn T

F/53/5’6”/125#/6028 ft elevation
1st WOD 07042012
https://www.facebook.com/Dawndelion

One can never know for sure what a deserted area looks like.
-George Carlin

Posted: 26 September 2013 11:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Puppy Dawg
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2013-09-26

Hi,
I have been looking for a workout that wouldn’t get boring, so we decided that we want to start crossfit.

Signature 

motorhomes for hire

motorhome hire birmingham airport

Posted: 27 September 2013 07:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Top Dawg
Total Posts:  1683
Joined  2008-02-14
somiron roy - 26 September 2013 11:16 PM

Hi,
I have been looking for a workout that wouldn’t get boring, so we decided that we want to start crossfit.

Welcome!  Jump on in and have some fun.  Let us know how we can help.