Shoulder pain from/during pull ups
Posted: 07 September 2013 11:45 AM   [ Ignore ]
Puppy Dawg
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2013-09-07

I have been experiencing pain when doing pull ups (to the point where I can really not do a pull up) in my left shoulder for about 3 months.  I think that I hurt it while doing the Angie WOD but was able to complete the workout and I really did not notice the pain and discomfort until the next day when I tried to do a pull up. 

I have been to the doctor who thought it was more of a rotator cuff strain and I just needed to rest and suggested Physical Therapy.  He did a series of test and told my small shoulder muscle were actually very week and to strengthen them.  I rested for approximately 2 weeks with no pull ups but did other exercise that did not hurt and a ton of cardio.  After about 3 weeks of PT I still am experiencing pain in my shoulder and can only do about 25 lbs on the pull downs.  I have strengthened my shoulder and PT person is not sure what more to do. 

It should be noted that my shoulder really does not hurt during any other exercise except pull ups.  I can row, push up, shoulder press, etc. and it does not hurt.  But the movement of pulling anything including opening doors sometimes it hurts. 

This has been very frustrating because I don’t feel that I am getting better and somewhat pride myself on being fit, warming up, stretching, and doing pulls (which I have done for years).  If anyone can help please let me know.

Posted: 07 September 2013 04:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Top Dawg
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  913
Joined  2011-01-04
tyspoon - 07 September 2013 11:45 AM

I have been experiencing pain when doing pull ups (to the point where I can really not do a pull up) in my left shoulder for about 3 months.  I think that I hurt it while doing the Angie WOD but was able to complete the workout and I really did not notice the pain and discomfort until the next day when I tried to do a pull up. 

I have been to the doctor who thought it was more of a rotator cuff strain and I just needed to rest and suggested Physical Therapy.  He did a series of test and told my small shoulder muscle were actually very week and to strengthen them.  I rested for approximately 2 weeks with no pull ups but did other exercise that did not hurt and a ton of cardio.  After about 3 weeks of PT I still am experiencing pain in my shoulder and can only do about 25 lbs on the pull downs.  I have strengthened my shoulder and PT person is not sure what more to do. 

It should be noted that my shoulder really does not hurt during any other exercise except pull ups.  I can row, push up, shoulder press, etc. and it does not hurt.  But the movement of pulling anything including opening doors sometimes it hurts. 

This has been very frustrating because I don’t feel that I am getting better and somewhat pride myself on being fit, warming up, stretching, and doing pulls (which I have done for years).  If anyone can help please let me know.

Did your doc do an MRI.

Signature 

“All brave men love; for he only is brave who has affections to fight for, whether in the daily battle of life, or in physical contests.”
                                                                                                        Nathaniel Hawthorne

M 37
5’ 11”
CF DOB 2010

Posted: 07 September 2013 11:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  9838
Joined  2007-01-08

This has been very frustrating because I don’t feel that I am getting better and somewhat pride myself on being fit, warming up, stretching, and doing pulls (which I have done for years).  If 1. anyone can help please let me know.

It’s very hard for us to answer this on two fronts:
1. Diagnosis over the internet is extraordinarily difficult.
2. You’re not a regular member of this forum and don’t have a history of workouts for us to look at. There’s nothing you can do to correct this now, but if you start posting your WOD results we will be better able to help you in future.

And it’s just polite. If you want this forum to be here to help you, support it by being a part of it and contributing your WOD posts.

Signature 

Craig Massey

“The point of CF is to get better at life.  Being unable to workout tomorrow because you were pigheaded today is not in line with our goals.”
Garddawg - 22 March 2009

“CrossFit is not dangerous.
Bad coaching is dangerous, poor movement is dangerous. Ego is dangerous.
CrossFit, properly scaled to the individual is the safest and most efficient program available for strength, conditioning and movement.”
BlueBugofJustice - 18 August 2009

Posted: 08 September 2013 10:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Puppy Dawg
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2013-09-07

Doctor did not do MRI.

I just found this Forum and have not posted anything.  I have all my WOD posted on Beyond the Whiteboard. Under Ty Kelley.

Thanks

Posted: 22 January 2014 09:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Puppy Dawg
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2014-01-22

Hi, First time poster but thought i’d find out as I have exactly the same symptoms, I can do everything except pull-ups. Seems to be a strain in the shoulder after what i presume is overuse injury. After 2 weeks of not performing pullups i gradually started performing them on rings the larger range of motion from rings made it less painful to perform and i slowly built up to performing a few strict sets of 5x3. I then went to a pull up bar and after performing one strict pullup it felt like the strain came straight back and i was back to squat one again. I could previously perform 5x5 Strict Chin-ups/Pull-ups with 20kg hanging off me without pain now i struggle to do one bodyweight pullup due to pain in right shoulder. Mobility and everything else seems fine.

Did you end up finding any problems or fixes for your shoulder? I’m back to waiting the 2 weeks before i attempt to slowly start again.

Posted: 24 January 2014 04:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Top Dawg
Total Posts:  3872
Joined  2009-03-01

I had a similar problem a few months ago. Turned out to be calcific tendonitis of the bicep.  Had to take several weeks off from any overhead work and do some physical therapy exercises, but it seems good as new now.

Signature 

M/42/210#
Crossfit Birthday: 2/12/2009
FB: http://www.facebook.com/frosty996
Inertia plays a mighty role in recovery, and an object at rest on a couch can stay there for a long time.

Posted: 27 January 2014 02:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Puppy Dawg
Rank
Joined  2014-01-22

Thanks Frosty996 i’ll have to get the X-Ray done to find out if I have a similar issue does sound like that could be it. Unfortunate about the time off training especially coming up to the open but have to take care of the body.

Posted: 27 January 2014 02:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Top Dawg
Total Posts:  3872
Joined  2009-03-01

I tried to keep working around mine and let it get so bad that I couldn’t raise that arm above parallel.  So, it goes something like this:

you get tendonitis in your tendon
you ignore it for a while
your body blocks the range of motion with a nice hunk of calcium since you wouldn’t do it on your own
you finally go to the doctor.

Hopefully you’re not at the calcium deposit step yet!

Signature 

M/42/210#
Crossfit Birthday: 2/12/2009
FB: http://www.facebook.com/frosty996
Inertia plays a mighty role in recovery, and an object at rest on a couch can stay there for a long time.

Posted: 27 January 2014 03:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Puppy Dawg
Rank
Joined  2014-01-22

I’ve still got full range of motion it’s more weakness in the pulling phase pushing overhead is ok but i’m probably not doing my shoulder any favours continuing to use it. Definitely a trip to physio in order though make sure im not doing more damage hopefully they can tell me what my scapula and shoulder health is like and point me in the direction of what kind of movements to avoid and how to slowly build back up.
I get a bit too keen with the training sometimes and need to remember to pull back for recovery more often. Thanks for advice.

Posted: 05 June 2014 08:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Puppy Dawg
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2014-06-05

Honestly the best thing I’ve recommended to my Crossfitters is to find out if they have any risk doing certain motions and the only way you can find that out is to Grade any tear… if there is any… and know what structure has the tear.  Program design can be modified obviously until the athlete is healed up but most people don’t realize that every sport has the DL… sometimes a 14 DL is needed depending on the injury.  Some you can play through.

MSK Ultrasound or Diagnostic Ultrasound (Not the therapy kind) on the Shoulder is considered the “Gold Standard” for evaluation of the soft tissues of the shoulder.  Soft tissues include the rotator cuff and bursa.  MSK Ultrasound on the Shoulder can be used to take a glimpse at the cartilage, also known as the labrum but still the “Gold Standard” for that will be the arthrogram… here a good article and video on how MSK Ultrasound help manage lifting injuries… http://www.p2sportscare.com/2014/06/01/msk-ultrasound-shoulder/

Posted: 09 June 2014 04:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Puppy Dawg
Rank
Joined  2014-01-22

Thanks for replying my shoulder is pretty much back to normal now did some rehab work by changing the position of my pullups making sure i stayed in an arch position changed where the tension was whilst pulling allowing for better movement without hitting the strained area. Giving it enough time and slow progression has brought me back to close to where i was previously. Now there is no pain performing when performing pullups with weight. I can’t recall what it was that was actually torn or damaged but physio found the problem and suggested the correct course of action to begin building the movement back up definitely needed to see a professional if i hadn’t seen any improvements i would have been getting the scans done.

Posted: 10 June 2014 11:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Total Posts:  8568
Joined  2004-07-08

I have a few questions for you,
When doing Angie, what kind of pull ups were you doing, Strict, kipping, butterfly or banded?
Do you have strict Pull ups?
Can you do ring rows with out pain?

Signature 

In God we Trust all others we monitor

Posted: 18 June 2014 10:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Puppy Dawg
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2014-06-18

Possible impingement?? If not, maybe tendonitis in the shoulder (try taking something like Cissus or Elbow Revive Cissus—which is technically for elbow tendonitis but will work for just about any joint issue).  RICE it and if not better in 10 days, see a doc.  Also, when sleeping at night make sure you sleep on your back.  It may sound unrelated, but sleeping on the stomach almost always causes arms to raise over/under head which can worsen an impingement if that’s what it is.  Get better soon, bud!