Zone fat blocks multipliers
Posted: 11 September 2013 01:17 AM   [ Ignore ]
Puppy Dawg
Rank
Total Posts:  11
Joined  2013-05-27

Hello everyone,I have a problem calculating 5x fat for my zone blocks intake.In zone tables fat ate calculated as they contain 1,5 grams assuming each gram of protein has 0,5 grams of fat.But when you make the 5x multiplication no protein fat counts, as you are eating only fat, so you should double the fat intake for blocks in zone table and then multiply by 5x,right?  So assuming I’m talking about a 4 blocks meal I should eat 2 fat blocks from protein and 2fat blocks from only fat then it remains 4x4blocks/meal=16 block/meal to reach the 5x fat goal but this blocks are only fat, so 32block, making the total fat intake from only fat source 36 blocks?Am I right??
Thank you!

Posted: 11 September 2013 11:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Puppy Dawg
Rank
Joined  2013-05-27

Whenever someone kindly replys my previous question I would like to make another one. How much should I eat on rest days, my daily 16 blocks with 5x fat??As for me eating such an amount of fat is quite expensive… I’m crossfiting 3 to 5 days a week, with strength and metcon programming?Any suggestion?

Posted: 12 September 2013 12:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  9608
Joined  2007-01-08
Sisbuadxfit - 11 September 2013 01:17 AM

Hello everyone,I have a problem calculating 5x fat for my zone blocks intake.In zone tables fat ate calculated as they contain 1,5 grams assuming each gram of protein has 0,5 grams of fat.But when you make the 5x multiplication no protein fat counts, as you are eating only fat, so you should double the fat intake for blocks in zone table and then multiply by 5x,right?  So assuming I’m talking about a 4 blocks meal I should eat 2 fat blocks from protein and 2fat blocks from only fat then it remains 4x4blocks/meal=16 block/meal to reach the 5x fat goal but this blocks are only fat, so 32block, making the total fat intake from only fat source 36 blocks?Am I right??
Thank you!

Calculating blocks from first principles is too hard for me, I just look up the food in one of the block lists, eg the one linked here http://www.crossfitbrandx.com/index.php/forums/viewthread/5319/

If I understand what you’re asking correctly, I think you have the basic principles wrong.

5x fat on a 16 block prescription would mean that each day you eat 16 blocks of protein, 16 blocks of carbs and 80 blocks of fat.
How you break that down is up to you, but unless you really want to do all the math yourself, I would look up the block lists I linked earlier and work out your portions from there.

Anyone on 5x fat is probably going to be resorting to something like drinking olive oil or eating nuts to achieve that.

I do have to ask though, why 5x fat?
That’s something I’d expect someone like Chris Spealler or someone similarly lean or small built and performing at a very high level to need.

I asked you to start posting your WOD results here so that we could better answer these questions the last time that you posted.
I’d really like to see that to help understand why you need the 5x fat.

Signature 

Craig Massey

“The point of CF is to get better at life.  Being unable to workout tomorrow because you were pigheaded today is not in line with our goals.”
Garddawg - 22 March 2009

“CrossFit is not dangerous.
Bad coaching is dangerous, poor movement is dangerous. Ego is dangerous.
CrossFit, properly scaled to the individual is the safest and most efficient program available for strength, conditioning and movement.”
BlueBugofJustice - 18 August 2009

Posted: 12 September 2013 12:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
Joined  2007-01-08
Sisbuadxfit - 11 September 2013 11:21 PM

Whenever someone kindly replys my previous question I would like to make another one. How much should I eat on rest days, my daily 16 blocks with 5x fat??As for me eating such an amount of fat is quite expensive… I’m crossfiting 3 to 5 days a week, with strength and metcon programming?Any suggestion?

The same on rest days as training days, except you wouldn’t have any pre-or post WOD food intake, if you’re doing that.

Signature 

Craig Massey

“The point of CF is to get better at life.  Being unable to workout tomorrow because you were pigheaded today is not in line with our goals.”
Garddawg - 22 March 2009

CrossFit, properly scaled to the individual is the safest and most efficient program available for strength, conditioning and movement.”

Posted: 12 September 2013 02:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Puppy Dawg
Rank
Joined  2013-05-27

You want me to post every wod that ive done till now ( i’ve been crossfiting for 4 months now)? If so, all in one post? An excel spreadsheet?

The main reason I decided to start eating more fat is that I’ve reached an 8% fat with 1’8 m and 68 kg and struggle in Wod’s involving more weight, no improved in my PR’s with the major lifts at all and improved a lot in metcon and so…I’ve read posts and saw videos that tell that to gain strength it would be better to gain some weight by eating more fat. Am I aproachin it wrong??

Posted: 12 September 2013 02:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
Joined  2007-01-08
Sisbuadxfit - 12 September 2013 02:00 AM

You want me to post every wod that ive done till now ( i’ve been crossfiting for 4 months now)? If so, all in one post? An excel spreadsheet?

The main reason I decided to start eating more fat is that I’ve reached an 8% fat with 1’8 m and 68 kg and struggle in Wod’s involving more weight, no improved in my PR’s with the major lifts at all and improved a lot in metcon and so…I’ve read posts and saw videos that tell that to gain strength it would be better to gain some weight by eating more fat. Am I aproachin it wrong??

If you could post the as you do them from here on would do, but if you can make your spreadsheet available I’ll take a look at it over the next day or two.

Until I can see some WOD results a suggestion might be to eat your standard Zone and add milk to your diet. Don’t count the blocks, just drink as much as you can without being ill.
Don’t do that if you have trouble digesting milk!

One school of thought has you getting up to a gallon a day over 2 or 3 months.

If the point is to gain weight, you basically need to get more food in and milk is one way to do it.

What you originally asked about is more clean, so nuts and/or olive oil to get the fat blocks could work.
But if you can cope with milk, drinking a fair bit each day could well work too and it’s simpler.

Signature 

Craig Massey

Garddawg - 22 March 2009

Posted: 12 September 2013 02:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Puppy Dawg
Rank
Joined  2013-05-27

Ok I will build the spreadsheet and as long as its ready i’ll post it. I must say I’ve started to lift some heavy weights, once a week DL once a week FS and once a week press. Maybe the reason is that I’m not lifting heavy very often. If drinking milk, what kind of? skimmed or fullfat? And should I drink A gallon A day plus zone eating? I really can eat a lot if I’m on it, so any suggestion of quantity will be appreciated…calories, blocks…anything!

Thankyou!

Posted: 12 September 2013 08:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
Joined  2007-01-08
Sisbuadxfit - 12 September 2013 02:25 AM

Ok I will build the spreadsheet and as long as its ready i’ll post it. I must say I’ve started to lift some heavy weights, once a week DL once a week FS and once a week press. Maybe the reason is that I’m not lifting heavy very often. If drinking milk, what kind of? skimmed or fullfat? And should I drink A gallon A day plus zone eating? I really can eat a lot if I’m on it, so any suggestion of quantity will be appreciated…calories, blocks…anything!

Thankyou!

Fullfat as I recall.
The system is called GOMAD (Gallon Of Milk A Day) and this is the closest oia home page for it that I can find http://stronglifts.com/gomad-milk-squats-gallon-gain-weight/
And this covers how to ease into it; http://stronglifts.com/gomad-first-week-experiences-side-effects/

Be warned, the people on that site don’t like CrossFit.

The simple fact is, if you want to bulk up, CrossFit is the wrong training program for you. We move too much basically.
If you want to be as fit as possible and put on some muscle, it’s perfect. If you want to get lean, CrossFit and a clean, portion controlled diet is still perfect.

If you’re a skinny guy just wanting to put on muscle, not so much. Something like Starting Strength or a Westside style powerlifting based program accompanied by large amounts of food is what will do that for you. You’ll have the aerobic capacity of a sandwich, trouble tying your shoelaces and your abs will be a memory, but you’ll get bigger on it if that’s what your body is capable of.

Don’t worry about your whole life story in your training log, the last few weeks to a month at the most will do.

Signature 

Craig Massey

Garddawg - 22 March 2009

Posted: 12 September 2013 09:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Puppy Dawg
Rank
Joined  2013-05-27

What I want from crossfit is get fit overall,but my heavylifts are worse than my aerobic capacity,so i want to improve on that part…maybe i am not approaching it right…should i continue eating my prescription blocks and doing the strenght program?or should i eat more? I only want to perform better overall,no matter how skinny or big I become,thats not the goal,the main goal is fitness.

Posted: 13 September 2013 12:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Puppy Dawg
Rank
Joined  2013-05-27

Here is the spreadsheet with my last trainings. Hope it helps. Thankyou very much for the help, you really make people achieve their goals, it’s amazing!

As I’ve said, I only care about performance, if I can still be as lean as I am right now and lift heavy, i prefer to do so,  but if eating more will help, i’ll do. IMHO my heavy lifts aren’t very good so that’s why I think i should improve them , maybe I’m wrong…Thanks for the help.

Image Attachments
trainings.png

Posted: 21 September 2013 03:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Puppy Dawg
Rank
Joined  2013-05-27

Any guesses for my concerns? THANKS!!

Posted: 30 September 2013 03:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Puppy Dawg
Rank