Raw milk
Posted: 14 September 2013 08:07 AM   [ Ignore ]
Boxer
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  689
Joined  2013-03-15

I was at a farmers market today and bought half a gallon of raw milk. I have never tried it before. The label says that it may contain harmful bacteria. Should I heat it up to kill bacteria before drinking it?

Signature 

Murph

M - 195lbs - 5’10” - 39
CF DOB - Jan 2013

“Sometimes God calms the storm. At other times, he calms the sailor. And sometimes he makes us swim.”

“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.” MLK Jr.

Posted: 14 September 2013 10:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  13217
Joined  2007-01-30

Wouldn’t that defeat the purpose? 

Then again, when I was a kid we used to drink raw milk all the time and no one seemed worse for wear.  But I can’t say what you should do about it.

Now, you could home pasteurize it, and if you’re worried, that’s the track to take. 

Patrick

Signature 

The common denominator of success—- the secret of success of every man who has ever been successful—- lies in the fact that he formed the habit of doing things that failures don’t like to do.—Albert Grey

“Really Connor? Really?”—Jeff Martin

http://rantopedia.blogspot.com/ (my blog)
http://www.facebook.com/patrick.hoffman1

M-47/5’11”/180lbs

There’s a reason they don’t call it “Fight Gone Good”.

Posted: 14 September 2013 03:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  9757
Joined  2007-01-08

Pasteurization is heating up raw milk to kill any bugs that might be in it. That and homogenisation make it the same as milk you buy in the supermarket, the full fat, unsupplemented version any way (forgot that America has a bewildering variety of milk with varying additives).

People like the Weston Price foundation (https://www.facebook.com/westonaprice) argue that pasteurization also diminishes it’s nutritional benefit.

Signature 

Craig Massey

“The point of CF is to get better at life.  Being unable to workout tomorrow because you were pigheaded today is not in line with our goals.”
Garddawg - 22 March 2009

“CrossFit is not dangerous.
Bad coaching is dangerous, poor movement is dangerous. Ego is dangerous.
CrossFit, properly scaled to the individual is the safest and most efficient program available for strength, conditioning and movement.”
BlueBugofJustice - 18 August 2009

Posted: 25 September 2013 07:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Puppy Dawg
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2013-09-25

The disclaimer is on the milk to cover the sellers butt in case you do get sick. Unless it was improperly stored, drink it…you’ll be fine.

Posted: 25 September 2013 07:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
Joined  2007-01-08
Nubster - 25 September 2013 07:10 PM

The disclaimer is on the milk to cover the sellers butt in case you do get sick. Unless it was improperly stored, drink it…you’ll be fine.

Hopefully he already has, or biffed it. After 2 weeks it’s probably a bit green.

Signature 

Craig Massey

“The point of CF is to get better at life.  Being unable to workout tomorrow because you were pigheaded today is not in line with our goals.”
Garddawg - 22 March 2009

CrossFit, properly scaled to the individual is the safest and most efficient program available for strength, conditioning and movement.”

Posted: 25 September 2013 07:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Puppy Dawg
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2013-09-25
Metric - 25 September 2013 07:16 PM

Hopefully he already has, or biffed it. After 2 weeks it’s probably a bit green.

True. So if it’s still in the fridge…disregard what I said…DON’T drink it…lol

Posted: 25 September 2013 07:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
Joined  2007-01-08
Nubster - 25 September 2013 07:18 PM
Metric - 25 September 2013 07:16 PM

True. So if it’s still in the fridge…disregard what I said…DON’T drink it…lol

grin

Signature 

Craig Massey

Garddawg - 22 March 2009

Posted: 26 September 2013 05:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Boxer
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  689
Joined  2013-03-15

Thanks for the replies guys; I drank the entire half gallon as is. No health issues to report. it was actually very tasty and good to drink post workouts.

Best,
Murph

Signature 

Murph

M - 195lbs - 5’10” - 39
CF DOB - Jan 2013

“Sometimes God calms the storm. At other times, he calms the sailor. And sometimes he makes us swim.”

“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.” MLK Jr.