Snatch form check and suggestions
Posted: 16 September 2013 03:34 AM   [ Ignore ]
Top Dawg
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1260
Joined  2010-01-30

This is me absolute goat.  The heavier it gets the less I go underneath it.  So many moving parts to the lift I don’t know where to start.  I fall apart and stop dropping to my heels at about 95.

http://youtu.be/vAIzXW8n-8Q

What do I need to work on first in technique.  My usual snatch work is multiple buergner warm up steps. 

J

Signature 

“It is unwise to seek prominence in a field whose routine chores you do not enjoy”

Wolfgang Pauli

Translation:  Don’t try to be good at it if you’re not willing to poke at the details day after day and be excited about repeats.

Posted: 16 September 2013 05:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Boxer
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  689
Joined  2013-03-15

Overall, pretty smooth; bar goes in pretty vertical path, which is great!

FWIW: Can you get your rear end lower, chest high, and wide grip in the set up so your back isn’t as rounded. try an keep the bar close to your body (think burg. warm up; jump shrug, elbows high and outside). also work on extension when bar gets to pockets. check out this guy…..(WFS)

http://youtu.be/hVTYRjSDyC4

Signature 

Murph

M - 195lbs - 5’10” - 39
CF DOB - Jan 2013

“Sometimes God calms the storm. At other times, he calms the sailor. And sometimes he makes us swim.”

“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.” MLK Jr.

Posted: 16 September 2013 09:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Top Dawg
Total Posts:  3872
Joined  2009-03-01

Couple technique points:

* You never get your back set.  It’s still quite rounded.  See how arched Chad’s back is at the start in the video Murph posted?
* You’re jumping when you get the bar just above the knees, but you shouldn’t be until you’re in the pockets position.
* You need to sweep the bar back into you throughout the lift so that you make contact with the hips at extension - see Chad’s video from about 0:27 to 0:33

So what to do to work on these?

First, just make sure you get your back (both upper and lower) set before you pull anything from the floor.  Show your workout buddies The Chad Vaughn video and get them to cue you if your back isn’t set.  For me, I often think I’m tight, then I see the video and realize I’m not.

I think doing some work from the high hang or blocks would help you find the power position better and also help with the sweep in.
Snatch deadlifts can help with this as well.

Probably stop doing power snatches until you are comfortable with a full snatch.

I also like snatch drops and snatch balances to help with confidence under the bar. Just remember to check your ego at the door and only snatch balance up to where the bar is barely being elevated.  It’s not a snatch grip push press followed by an overhead squat, it should be a little bump to unweight the bar, then an aggressive push under the bar.

I’m sure the other guys will have even better suggestions.

Signature 

M/42/210#
Crossfit Birthday: 2/12/2009
FB: http://www.facebook.com/frosty996
Inertia plays a mighty role in recovery, and an object at rest on a couch can stay there for a long time.

Posted: 16 September 2013 07:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Top Dawg
Total Posts:  3418
Joined  2013-07-26

John Try some three position hang snatches.when training these you start with a pull from above the knee, This forces you to move very fast making you keep the bar in close to the body causing contact with Hip flexor area which activates the explosive second pull and delivers the momentum to get under the lift to catch it. In the video The bar appears to far from your body when you transition from the 1st to 2nd pull. There is a video on youtube called 3 position hang snatch 60 kg.  The lifter demonstrates , Above knee, below knee and pull from floor. I also agree with what Frosty pointed out,  Your back is too rounded on the initial pull. Here’s a video of me doing a snatch to show you starting position of lift and maintaining a flat back, I always started with my butt lowered . mind you, Not everyone does it that way .[vimeo]http://vimeo.com/74492512[/vimeo] Good luck to you wink

Signature 

M/ 57/ 72.5”/ 268  
F /52/ 59’’ /173 Olypowergal

Rest and Recovery are every bit as Vital to a successful training program as the Exercise itself. The two have a symbiotic relationship, relying heavily on each other to affect positive change in the Athlete.

Posted: 17 September 2013 02:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Stray Dawg
RankRank
Total Posts:  16
Joined  2013-09-07
Murph99 - 16 September 2013 05:11 AM

FWIW: Can you get your rear end lower, chest high, and wide grip in the set up so your back isn’t as rounded. try an keep the bar close to your body (think burg. warm up; jump shrug, elbows high and outside). also work on extension when bar gets to pockets. check out this guy…..(WFS)

That’s crazy looking in slo-mo. Thats comitment to get under a heavy bar like that.

Posted: 18 September 2013 03:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Boxer
Total Posts:  510
Joined  2010-12-07

Get more vertical in your starting position, lift your chest. FINISH! make sure your hips open all the way. you’re keeping the bar too far out in front of you. i would practice hang snatches and snatch balances.

Signature 

M/25/5’9”/170

Posted: 18 September 2013 04:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Boxer
Joined  2013-03-15
Archer - 17 September 2013 02:47 PM
Murph99 - 16 September 2013 05:11 AM

That’s crazy looking in slo-mo. Thats comitment to get under a heavy bar like that.

It really is; I just did the squat clean workout this AM and I failed my heaviest lifts because of the fear of getting under the heavy bar. I am sure my issue was mental as I did a few clean pulls from the floor at my max fail weight and noted that I can get it high enough to get under, but you have to be brave and very, very quick to get under. I have a ton of respect for the OLY lifters having trained these lifts.

Signature 

Murph

M - 195lbs - 5’10” - 39
CF DOB - Jan 2013

“Sometimes God calms the storm. At other times, he calms the sailor. And sometimes he makes us swim.”

“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.” MLK Jr.

Posted: 18 September 2013 04:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Boxer
Joined  2013-03-15

more great pointers on the snatch from Dan Bailey in today’s crossfit video on youtube…..WFS. keeping the bar close; check it out.

http://youtu.be/yNjOdKKD5fQ

Signature 

Murph

M - 195lbs - 5’10” - 39
CF DOB - Jan 2013

Posted: 18 September 2013 07:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Pack Member
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  260
Joined  2010-05-20

Here a great video that crossed my path this morning. http://fitr.tv/pages/top-8-snatch-mistakes-w-rich-froning (WFS)
Looooots of good info.

Signature 

- Mike

Posted: 18 September 2013 11:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Top Dawg
Total Posts:  3418
Joined  2013-07-26

The posts are all great as far as how to perform the movement. Good videos. The problem for most in CF is not enough time dedicated to practice of lift in a structured format. This lift takes time to develop. Power snatching is nothing like doing a max snatch that you are pulling just high enough to pull under. Murph mentioned Confidence. Yes is does takes confidence , That comes with becoming familiar with the lift thru lots of practice. The Olympic Lifts should be worked 3-4 days a week to become proficient in my opinion .It took me years to develop the Speed , timing and flexibility using Mike Burgeners routine. In the beginning I drove down to   Coach Bs Gym for advice and have him check mine and my wifes form to make sure we were doing Them right,( 200 mile drive was worth it!). I did nothing but Olympic lifts from 2000- 2005.  I was age 43-48 when I learned. So I was probably slower learning it then most of you younger guys would be. The Snatch is a fun lift . Nothing feels better in my opinion than a well executed Snatch grin  The real trick is setting time aside to practice it on a busy CF schedule. I wish you Luck John.    p.s. I remember when you had problems 2 years ago on your Deadlift. You seem to have fixed that. I know you will get the Snatch eventually. Good luck wink        final thought.  Take lots of Video, Review and fix the flaws after each set so they don’t become bad habits.[vimeo]http://vimeo.com/74498660[/vimeo]  Video of wife doing Snatch work while Coach B Critiques.

Signature 

M/ 57/ 72.5”/ 268  
F /52/ 59’’ /173 Olypowergal

Rest and Recovery are every bit as Vital to a successful training program as the Exercise itself. The two have a symbiotic relationship, relying heavily on each other to affect positive change in the Athlete.

‹‹ Back Squat      Split jerk ››