4 of 4
Wednesday, September 18th, 2013 - Holleyman
Posted: 19 September 2013 05:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 46 ]
Top Dawg
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2253
Joined  2013-07-26

My Body is starting to remind me that its time for a week lay off.  When I was powerlifting in the past. I did 8 -12 week training cycles. With a mandatory 1 week off after peaking doing heaviest lifts. I would then start the cycle over using 70 % of 1rep max on lifts using high reps. this just gives the body a chance to recover from extreme loads of previous cycle. I don’t believe in holding the body at max poundages full time. I’ve seen people seriously Injure themselves on the Squat and Deadlift trying to max out every time   Granted some of them were Idiot juicers   who suffered double Quadriceps detachments on Squat, And Bicep detachments on Deadlifts.There Muscles got stronger than tendons and Ligaments could handle because of foolish Steroid usage. As a rule I think 1 week off is good mentally and physically for all athletes, Especially an old Geezer such as myself LOL . Happy training all. wink

Signature 

M/ 56/ 6’/ 264
The soul of the lazy man desires and has nothing;But the soul of the diligent shall be made rich. Proverbs 13;4

Posted: 19 September 2013 05:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 47 ]
Boxer
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  678
Joined  2013-03-15
OPG57 - 19 September 2013 05:39 AM

My Body is starting to remind me that its time for a week lay off.  When I was powerlifting in the past. I did 8 -12 week training cycles. With a mandatory 1 week off after peaking doing heaviest lifts. I would then start the cycle over using 70 % of 1rep max on lifts using high reps. this just gives the body a chance to recover from extreme loads of previous cycle. I don’t believe in holding the body at max poundages full time. I’ve seen people seriously Injure themselves on the Squat and Deadlift trying to max out every time   Granted some of them were Idiot juicers   who suffered double Quadriceps detachments on Squat, And Bicep detachments on Deadlifts.There Muscles got stronger than tendons and Ligaments could handle because of foolish Steroid usage. As a rule I think 1 week off is good mentally and physically for all athletes, Especially an old Geezer such as myself LOL . Happy training all. wink

OPG57 - good advice, thanks. I just finished week 5 of a strength cycle. When you completed the 8-12 week cycle did you continue with any metcon work during the week off (i.e. just avoid strength work outs) or did you totally rest (i.e. no work at all)? I have not planned that far ahead to determine what I am going to do in week 8-12 or when i see my gains fall off. I suppose a week off would be beneficial, but I always figured I could do metcons.

Signature 

Murph

M - 195lbs - 5’10” - 39
CF DOB - Jan 2013

ā€œSometimes God calms the storm. At other times, he calms the sailor. And sometimes he makes us swim.ā€

“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.” MLK Jr.

Posted: 19 September 2013 07:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 48 ]
Top Dawg
Joined  2013-07-26
Murph99 - 19 September 2013 05:57 AM
OPG57 - 19 September 2013 05:39 AM

OPG57 - good advice, thanks. I just finished week 5 of a strength cycle. When you completed the 8-12 week cycle did you continue with any metcon work during the week off (i.e. just avoid strength work outs) or did you totally rest (i.e. no work at all)? I have not planned that far ahead to determine what I am going to do in week 8-12 or when i see my gains fall off. I suppose a week off would be beneficial, but I always figured I could do metcons.

Rest means walk away and do a total heal up period. Enjoy food and drink you normally deprive yourself of because of dietary constraints. The time off also has the added benefit of making you want to lift again ,Because you get stir crazy, grin  Don’t give in to the temptation though. Gains come from adequate rest to allow the body to repair itself and make those muscles stronger. I made exceptions for my wife and gave her 2 weeks off because I kept her on 12 week cycles. The Dieting and Record poundages she handled in training took there toll. The extra week was necessary to keep her injury free and allow her some time to feel normal again without the aches and pains and hunger.Hope this helps. Good luck Murph. OPG57

Signature 

M/ 56/ 6’/ 264
The soul of the lazy man desires and has nothing;But the soul of the diligent shall be made rich. Proverbs 13;4

Posted: 19 September 2013 08:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 49 ]
Top Dawg
Total Posts:  1659
Joined  2008-02-14

5-5-5-5-5 Back Squat

95-115-135-155-185

Posted: 19 September 2013 08:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 50 ]
Top Dawg
Total Posts:  1415
Joined  2009-06-24

Deadlifts; Deadlifts, Hang Power Cleans, Push Press

Before: s/m

DL
135x5, 185x3, 205x2
60%x5 (225), 70%x4 (255), 80%x3 (295), 85%x2 (310), 90%x1 (325), 95%x1 (345) F, 95%x1

So light headed trying to get the first 95% off the floor I bailed on it. Pretty light headed on the successful one too.

12-9-6
Deadlifts
Hang cleans
Push press
@135
Totally can’t remember my time. 5:00 something I think…

Signature 

The obstacle is the path. - Zen proverb
m/48/6’1”/200
Yup, that Jeesh

Posted: 19 September 2013 11:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 51 ]
Big Dawg
RankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  363
Joined  2013-07-07

I skipped the wod yesterday because was on the road all day for work and couldn’t get to gym.
Glad to honor Holleyman today.

Ran 3 miles, then wod
26:16
12# ball
piked HSPU
85# PCs

@magdawg, hope you’re okay in CO with all the flood damage.

@OPG and Murphinator, I think after cross country season is over at the end of November, I’m taking a week off completely to let my body fully recover. I’ll walk the dog!

Signature 

F/44/5’5/135
Level 1 Cert, June 2008
Went away in 2010, came back to CF in April 2013

Posted: 19 September 2013 12:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 52 ]
Top Dawg
Joined  2013-07-26
Glorybelle - 19 September 2013 11:38 AM

I skipped the wod yesterday because was on the road all day for work and couldn’t get to gym.

Ran 3 miles, then wod
12# ball
piked HSPU
85# PCs

@OPG and Murphinator, I think after cross country season is over at the end of November, I’m taking a week off completely to let my body fully recover. I’ll walk the dog!

Good job Glorybelle. Sounds like a great plan. One should take time to enjoy the fruits of their Labor.  tongue wink

Signature 

M/ 56/ 6’/ 264

Posted: 19 September 2013 04:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 53 ]
Puppy Dawg
Rank
Total Posts:  9
Joined  2010-07-13

Crazy Day, 90* in the garage.
30 rounds:
Wallball w/40# slammer 1st 15 sets, then 20# for the remaining 15.
HSPU done as best that I could. Completed BUT there was an angle towards the end!!!  BIG ANGLE!  (Cheater!!)
Straight leg deads 135 for 1st 15 sets, then 185 for the remaining 15.
Disgusting time of 47:00!!!!!  Had to break for a little bit in the middle.

Signature 

M 45/6’3”/240

Posted: 19 September 2013 08:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 54 ]
Top Dawg
Total Posts:  3673
Joined  2007-12-23
Glorybelle - 19 September 2013 11:38 AM

Ran 3 miles, then wod
12# ball
piked HSPU
85# PCs

thank you it’s been an exhausting week

Signature 

CrossFit start date September 2007, joined the these boards December 2007

“Real strength never impairs beauty or harmony, but it often bestows it; and in everything imposingly beautiful, strength has much to do with the magic.”
- Hermin Melville

F/52yrs

4 of 4