FLU SHOT
Posted: 04 October 2013 06:43 AM   [ Ignore ]
Boxer
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  689
Joined  2013-03-15

Anybody have feedback on whether it is a good idea to get flu shots? Its that time of the year again in the mid Atlantic where places are promoting free flu shots. I normally don’t get them, and have gotten the flu once in the past 5 years.

Signature 

Murph

M - 195lbs - 5’10” - 39
CF DOB - Jan 2013

“Sometimes God calms the storm. At other times, he calms the sailor. And sometimes he makes us swim.”

“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.” MLK Jr.

Posted: 04 October 2013 07:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Boxer
Total Posts:  563
Joined  2009-07-07

Personal choice in my opinion. I don’t get them. I just don’t trust the pharma companies and don’t feel like pumping God knows what into my body. I can understand why old people etc. Do.

Signature 

“If you’re not afraid of your workout you’re not working out hard enough”
NEVER walk away from your bar! NEVER, NEVER, NEVER! - Jeff Martin

Posted: 04 October 2013 07:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Boxer
Total Posts:  689
Joined  2013-03-15
coda vex - 04 October 2013 07:50 AM

Personal choice in my opinion. I don’t get them. I just don’t trust the pharma companies and don’t feel like pumping God knows what into my body. I can understand why old people etc. Do.

Thanks Coda, exactly why I don’t get them either. I don’t trust what is in them. I try really hard to keep my hands clean all season.

Signature 

Murph

M - 195lbs - 5’10” - 39
CF DOB - Jan 2013

“Sometimes God calms the storm. At other times, he calms the sailor. And sometimes he makes us swim.”

“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.” MLK Jr.

Posted: 04 October 2013 09:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Mutt
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  38
Joined  2013-09-04

I get one every year…started when I went into the Army in ‘96. I’ve never experienced side effects…and I have yet to get the flu. I trust the flu shots more than I trust the water from my tap.

Signature 

M/36/72”/248#
First WOD: 6/24/13

Posted: 04 October 2013 08:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Pack Member
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  259
Joined  2010-05-20

From what I understand, each year, they take a guess at which strain it will be and only give the vaccine for that particular one. If it’s the wrong one, then it offers no protection. While working at JHU, we got free shots. I did it for 3 years, but haven’t done it for the last 3. I haven’t had the flu since long before I started working there. Personally, I don’t really think you need them, but as Coda mentioned, I understand why some people get them. Avoiding sick people and eating healthy will go a long way to providing the same precautions as the shot, IMO.

Signature 

- Mike

Posted: 05 October 2013 05:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Pack Member
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  259
Joined  2010-05-20

Ran across this today: http://healthimpactnews.com/2013/flu-vaccines-sold-by-marketing-fear-not-because-they-work-bmj-report/ (WFS)

Signature 

- Mike

Posted: 06 November 2013 07:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Top Dawg
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  824
Joined  2010-08-12

I’m really on the fence about this too. I’ve been against it for years, no love for pharma in this house BUT, last year both of my children came down with the flu and it was awful. At that point I sucked it up and got one. I think if you have kids, it may be a somewhat safer choice??? I don’t know really. Haven’t gotten one yet, but I’m leaning towards yes for all of us this year. There is only so much clean eating, vitamins, Lysol and rubber gloves can do.

Signature 

F/42/137/5’4
CF 8/12/10

http://iheartbaconandcrossfit.blogspot.com/

Posted: 06 November 2013 10:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Top Dawg
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3675
Joined  2007-12-23

My basic feel is that if you have contact with many people throughout your day or have kids in public schools its a good idea to get the flu shot.
Also of course the elderly or those with already compromised immune systems should really consider it.
If you don’t have kids and aren’t around a lot of people during your day, it might not be worth it for you.
Immunization is all about the herd. As a group; citizens of any city, county, state, etc we are all safer when most if not all are immunized, this doesn’t say anything about the individual.

Signature 

CrossFit start date September 2007, joined the these boards December 2007

“Real strength never impairs beauty or harmony, but it often bestows it; and in everything imposingly beautiful, strength has much to do with the magic.”
- Hermin Melville

F/52yrs

Posted: 03 May 2014 07:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Puppy Dawg
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2014-05-03
Murph99 - 04 October 2013 07:59 AM
coda vex - 04 October 2013 07:50 AM

Thanks Coda, exactly why I don’t get them either. I don’t trust what is in them. I try really hard to keep my hands clean all season.

+1 to “I just don’t trust the pharma companies and don’t feel like pumping God knows what into my body.”

Posted: 03 June 2014 03:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Puppy Dawg
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2014-05-28

I’ve never had a flu shot and don’t really see the point in getting them. However, I’m not around many people to even think about getting it.