losing overall strenght
Posted: 07 October 2013 04:19 PM   [ Ignore ]
Mutt
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  44
Joined  2013-07-01

Ive been doing crossfit for about three months now and I seem to be getting weaker in the big three lifts. My endurance is way up and my snatch and clean and press is going up. Im just wondering if this is normal or am I not doing something I need to?

Signature 

m\37\5’11\253lbs
Don Vagi….
Crossfit=Alot harder than I ever thought it would be
Squat-475gear 425raw after 21 reps 135
bench-425gear 305raw
deadlift-500gear 425raw after 21 reps 115
cp-225 after 21 reps 115:( if Im lucky
Never quit, even if it takes all night

Posted: 07 October 2013 04:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Boxer
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  689
Joined  2013-03-15

Are you supplementing WODs with any kind of strength program? Or are you just doing the WOD posted at main site and scaled BrandX.

Signature 

Murph

M - 195lbs - 5’10” - 39
CF DOB - Jan 2013

“Sometimes God calms the storm. At other times, he calms the sailor. And sometimes he makes us swim.”

“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.” MLK Jr.

Posted: 07 October 2013 05:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Mutt
RankRankRank
Joined  2013-07-01

Im doing the wods posted . scaling down at times depending on the workout.

Signature 

m\37\5’11\253lbs
Don Vagi….
bench-425gear 305raw

Posted: 09 October 2013 05:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Boxer
Joined  2013-03-15

you could consider supplementing the WODs with a strength program. There are a ton to choose from, but the main one promoted here is Crossfit Strength Bias (CFSB). If you put strength bias or CFSB in the search field at the top of this screen, you will find a good bit of information on how it works. If you have a subscription to the crossfit journal, you can search for the original article entitled “CFJ_MartinWhite_StrengthBias.”

Signature 

Murph

M - 195lbs - 5’10” - 39
CF DOB - Jan 2013

“Sometimes God calms the storm. At other times, he calms the sailor. And sometimes he makes us swim.”

“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.” MLK Jr.

Posted: 10 October 2013 08:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Top Dawg
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  824
Joined  2010-08-12

My 2 cents would be to stick it out with the wods. Increases will come once you start upping weight/reps thru the daily wods. You’re only 3 months in, it’s not really recommended to start strength yet.

Signature 

F/42/137/5’4
CF 8/12/10

http://iheartbaconandcrossfit.blogspot.com/

Posted: 10 October 2013 08:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Boxer
Joined  2013-03-15
karenchase - 10 October 2013 08:31 AM

My 2 cents would be to stick it out with the wods. Increases will come once you start upping weight/reps thru the daily wods. You’re only 3 months in, it’s not really recommended to start strength yet.

good point regarding moving up the weights on the prescribed WODs if he is comfortable with it. The only reason I suggested the strength supplement was because he seems like an experienced lifter judging from his stats of 425lb squat, 305lb bench, 425lb deadlift. its got to be tough to improve these numbers. another factor to consider is your fitness goals.

Signature 

Murph

M - 195lbs - 5’10” - 39
CF DOB - Jan 2013

Posted: 10 October 2013 01:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  9879
Joined  2007-01-08

Hi Don,
It’s a little hard to make an absolute determination, but it’s quite likely that someone at your level will see your raw strength drop while doing mainsite WODs.
CrossFit is about being really good at the middle ground and until you started it, you’ve been way at one end of the whole strength/fitness spectrum.

If you carry on as you are, given time you’ll find yourself weaker than you were, but not as weak as you would be if you stopped training, so still pretty strong, but much better at everything outside of powerlifting. Which is what you’re seeing.

At this stage I’d be reluctant to suggest any additional strength work as the key to adapting to CrossFit is recovery and if you’re as heavy as you are, you probably need all your recovery ability to let your body adapt to what you’re making it do now.

Hard to give a time when you could safely add in more strength work.
Possibly, when you’re completing Pack level scaled WODs near the target time? Or maybe it’s when you’re feeling recovered between workouts.

When you’re sure that adding in extra work isn’t going to hurt you, add in some powerlifting training each week. A bench day, squat day, deadlift day. That’s the simplest version and there are many, many more.

You’ll probably need to get into custom WODs at some point and that will let you bias your training to the strength end.
I doubt that you’ll retain as much strength as if you remained a full timer powerlifter, but you should be able to stay in touch with where you were.

Mainsite WODs are necessarily about general fitness. They’ll get you strong if you’re weak, but if you’re a dedicated strength athlete, they will diminish that as you balance everything out.

Signature 

Craig Massey

“The point of CF is to get better at life.  Being unable to workout tomorrow because you were pigheaded today is not in line with our goals.”
Garddawg - 22 March 2009

“CrossFit is not dangerous.
Bad coaching is dangerous, poor movement is dangerous. Ego is dangerous.
CrossFit, properly scaled to the individual is the safest and most efficient program available for strength, conditioning and movement.”
BlueBugofJustice - 18 August 2009

Posted: 18 October 2013 07:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Mutt
RankRankRank
Joined  2013-07-01

I do love powerlifting but I cant stay on that path. My cardio sucks but I have notice a big difference in the since I started crossfit in aug. The amount of shoulder work has increased my overall shoulder press alot . Instead of doing 3x3 Im doing 21-15-9-3 and have added 50 + pounds to that high rep range.I was pressing 225 overhead and behind the neck with a 3x3 ,now Im pressing 115 overhead but the reps feel great. Im going to stick it out because Im 37 now and by the time I turn 40 Im want to try to get to regionals level. Also to be down to 200lbs or so. I was just wondering if I wasnt pushing hard enough or it was something that just happens with this style of training. Also the lighter weight on the deadlifts and high sumo pulls has help my lower back alot. when my cardio lets me hit the big dog numbers Ill start adding some powerlifting movements back in to my training to bring my numbers back up. thanks everbody for the comments….don

Signature 

m\37\5’11\253lbs
Don Vagi….
bench-425gear 305raw

Posted: 18 October 2013 11:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Total Posts:  8591
Joined  2004-07-08

Don this is normal at first. Allow the main page to work for awhile, then you can start adding strength days in. Listen to what Karen and Metric said.

Signature 

In God we Trust all others we monitor

Posted: 20 October 2013 07:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Top Dawg
Total Posts:  824
Joined  2010-08-12
donhoejr - 18 October 2013 07:02 AM

I do love powerlifting but I cant stay on that path. My cardio sucks but I have notice a big difference in the since I started crossfit in aug. The amount of shoulder work has increased my overall shoulder press alot . Instead of doing 3x3 Im doing 21-15-9-3 and have added 50 + pounds to that high rep range.I was pressing 225 overhead and behind the neck with a 3x3 ,now Im pressing 115 overhead but the reps feel great. Im going to stick it out because Im 37 now and by the time I turn 40 Im want to try to get to regionals level. Also to be down to 200lbs or so. I was just wondering if I wasnt pushing hard enough or it was something that just happens with this style of training. Also the lighter weight on the deadlifts and high sumo pulls has help my lower back alot. when my cardio lets me hit the big dog numbers Ill start adding some powerlifting movements back in to my training to bring my numbers back up. thanks everbody for the comments….don

You’ll be fine once you get your cardio in order. (hardest part!) You’re already strong, now learn what CF teaches, be strong and fast. Once you drop some weight, learn to move more efficiently your weights will increase steadily. And then if they stall, say in 9-12 months (which is normal) then you’ll be ready for bias or wendler. Stick it out it’s totally worth it!

Signature 

F/42/137/5’4
CF 8/12/10

http://iheartbaconandcrossfit.blogspot.com/