Observations plus yet another CFSB question
Posted: 10 October 2013 04:06 AM   [ Ignore ]
Top Dawg
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  834
Joined  2010-08-25

On Monday I bombed out on my deadlift 1 RM test with a max of 143kg (failed as low as 150) when my previous 1RM was 153. This was the day after a successful 5kg PR on squat. My lower back was sore, my body obviously a bit tired and my head (ego) big. Really frustrating that I couldnt even get 150 to break contact with the floor.

Today, 3 days later I re-tested and got a PR at 158. 

So my two observations are:

1. although I didnt realise it at the time I guess my body had not recovered from the squat the day before
2. today in the set up as well as tensing my back I squeezed glutes and hammys - this really helped me get the bar off the ground and I think cos I was tired on Monday I was failing to do this

So maybe that info will be useful to others (ok it may be obvious to trainers but its taking me time to work these things out for myself).

Also my question - why does the DL day follow the squat day in CFSB - would there be any harm in swapping DL day with press day to give more recovery or is it a fundamental part of the program ?

Signature 

M/47/80kg

Posted: 10 October 2013 05:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Boxer
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  678
Joined  2013-03-15
robnobby - 10 October 2013 04:06 AM

On Monday I bombed out on my deadlift 1 RM test with a max of 143kg (failed as low as 150) when my previous 1RM was 153. This was the day after a successful 5kg PR on squat. My lower back was sore, my body obviously a bit tired and my head (ego) big. Really frustrating that I couldnt even get 150 to break contact with the floor.

Today, 3 days later I re-tested and got a PR at 158. 

So my two observations are:

1. although I didnt realise it at the time I guess my body had not recovered from the squat the day before
2. today in the set up as well as tensing my back I squeezed glutes and hammys - this really helped me get the bar off the ground and I think cos I was tired on Monday I was failing to do this

So maybe that info will be useful to others (ok it may be obvious to trainers but its taking me time to work these things out for myself).

Also my question - why does the DL day follow the squat day in CFSB - would there be any harm in swapping DL day with press day to give more recovery or is it a fundamental part of the program ?

great work! i don’t see why you couldn’t swap days. almost makes more sense to me to swap press for deads after squat.

Signature 

Murph

M - 195lbs - 5’10” - 39
CF DOB - Jan 2013

“Sometimes God calms the storm. At other times, he calms the sailor. And sometimes he makes us swim.”

“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.” MLK Jr.

Posted: 10 October 2013 09:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Top Dawg
Total Posts:  3268
Joined  2006-02-17

Firstly, congrats on the squat!! You will adapt to the dead after squat before too long.  Trying to get your deads at the end of a week may be surprising if you ever did decide to give it the good old experiment of one.  I know by the time I get to day six I’m super glad I only have to press.

Another thing I think about is the cumulative stimulus offered by deads and back squats in a short time.  If you believe in the neuro endocrine response then I can’t think of a better combo to stimulate it.

Of course, you will need to pay particular attention to your recovery before, during and after this part of the week.

Cheers, kempie

Signature 

Take a deep breath ... Now do it again!
http://www.crossfitnortheastengland.com

BX Coaching Gold - “your doing all the right stuff its just coming out all wrong. “
CFSB Dummie’s Playground

Posted: 10 October 2013 12:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Top Dawg
Total Posts:  834
Joined  2010-08-25
kempie - 10 October 2013 09:15 AM

Another thing I think about is the cumulative stimulus offered by deads and back squats in a short time.  If you believe in the neuro endocrine response then I can’t think of a better combo to stimulate it.

I wondered about that. I’m ok doing the DL the day after so will stick to that. I normally do these Sat/Sun so I have more time for the workout and can also split from the metcon if I want.  But maybe put a rest day inbetween 1RM attempts to avoind this weeks scenario.

Signature 

M/47/80kg