Crossfit for Baseball
Posted: 20 October 2013 11:41 PM   [ Ignore ]
Puppy Dawg
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2013-10-20

So basically I have been doing strength programs my entire life with success but I get bored after awhile. Then I found cross fit. I love the randomness of every day and workout. I am a college baseball player and have had back surgery for my lower back to fix a ruptured disc a few years ago. Do you think crossfit is good for a baseball player?? I have heard many different answers. The thing is that I’m not very flexible anymore. I was before my back surgery but it has really declined since then. Need some help figuring out a stretching routine for crossfit.  I’m 5’10” 170 lbs. and I’m around 7% body fat so I’m very lean. So my main question is about crossfit and baseball.

Posted: 21 October 2013 05:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Boxer
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  689
Joined  2013-03-15

IMO, Crossfit will make you better at any and all sports as it is a broad and inclusive strength and conditioning program. If you are training specifically for baseball, the olympic lifts would be great because baseball requires quick short bursts of power (vs. long endurance type exercises). I have read where Brady Anderson took over the strength and conditioning program with the Orioles and introduced the Olympic lifts for their team and it has made a pretty significant impact. The other important thing would be flexibility; you’ll need to do mobility work. Baseball players usually develop tight shoulders from throwing so this is something to keep in mind. Good luck with your training.

Signature 

Murph

M - 195lbs - 5’10” - 39
CF DOB - Jan 2013

“Sometimes God calms the storm. At other times, he calms the sailor. And sometimes he makes us swim.”

“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.” MLK Jr.

Posted: 21 October 2013 08:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Top Dawg
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3675
Joined  2007-12-23

check out mobilityWOD.com
its easy to pick and choose for specific areas where you lack flexibily but probably best to start at the begining and work your way through to address lack of mobility in a systematic way

Signature 

CrossFit start date September 2007, joined the these boards December 2007

“Real strength never impairs beauty or harmony, but it often bestows it; and in everything imposingly beautiful, strength has much to do with the magic.”
- Hermin Melville

F/52yrs

Posted: 21 October 2013 11:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  8617
Joined  2004-07-08

Do you think crossfit is good for a baseball player??  Yes!
Need some help figuring out a stretching routine for crossfit. mobilityWOD.com

Signature 

In God we Trust all others we monitor

Posted: 21 October 2013 01:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Top Dawg
Total Posts:  2766
Joined  2007-10-02

Was the back injury related to baseball? What position do you play?

Signature 

“I may be old, but I’m spry.”
Kramer, Seinfeld (1993)

“And in jazz, every moment is a crisis and you bring all your skill to bear on that crisis.” Wynton Marsalis

“This is punk rock, b@#%h - I’m a spectacle.”
(hed) pe, Represent (2004)

M/49/5’6”/161#

Posted: 21 October 2013 03:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  9930
Joined  2007-01-08

Sorry, meant to tag Unforgibbon in.

Malcook13, when he’s not being one of the awesome trainers at CrossFit Brand X, Unforgibbon spends a lot of time at little league baseball games in the SoCal area. His son is a very good player and baseball is a big part of both of their lives.
He knows baseball and CrossFit very well. As a (former?) professional proofreader he’s pretty good with grammar and punctuation too, but he has a good tolerance for those of us who aren’t.

Signature 

Craig Massey

“The point of CF is to get better at life.  Being unable to workout tomorrow because you were pigheaded today is not in line with our goals.”
Garddawg - 22 March 2009

“CrossFit is not dangerous.
Bad coaching is dangerous, poor movement is dangerous. Ego is dangerous.
CrossFit, properly scaled to the individual is the safest and most efficient program available for strength, conditioning and movement.”
BlueBugofJustice - 18 August 2009

‹‹ coming back      GHD question ››