GHD question
Posted: 29 October 2013 08:03 AM   [ Ignore ]
Hound
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  99
Joined  2012-12-07

Recently we heve purchased a GHD machine at work and for about 4 week i have regurly been doing GHD sit-up’s (3 times a week 3 sets of 10)

When can i implement the GHD sit-up’s in my wod’s?

Thanx

Signature 

If jou dont stop trying you can never fail!

Posted: 30 October 2013 05:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  9879
Joined  2007-01-08

The smart aleck answer is “when you’re ready”.

And that’s the root of the problem answering this question, I don’t know if what you’ve been doing has made you ready.
If you’re confident that your technique is correct and that you won’t degrade to an unsafe degree in whatever workout you’re about to attempt, you can give it a go.
Be prepared to be very critical of yourself and if you feel that you’re struggling at all, swap to another movement.

Something OPT says is that TTB are his preferred sub for GHD sit-ups. If you can’t do the workout using TTB, you’re probably not ready to use a GHD.

Aside from mechanics, whether you’ve prepared sufficiently to avoid rhabdo is very difficult to tell.

Hoping one of the Brand X trainers will spot this and explain how people would be introduced to them at the gym,

Signature 

Craig Massey

“The point of CF is to get better at life.  Being unable to workout tomorrow because you were pigheaded today is not in line with our goals.”
Garddawg - 22 March 2009

“CrossFit is not dangerous.
Bad coaching is dangerous, poor movement is dangerous. Ego is dangerous.
CrossFit, properly scaled to the individual is the safest and most efficient program available for strength, conditioning and movement.”
BlueBugofJustice - 18 August 2009

Posted: 05 November 2013 12:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Top Dawg
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  973
Joined  2010-08-25

I’m not a trainer so wont advise on whats best for you but this is what I did:

For 2 or 3 months I did 3x5 building up to 3x10, two or three days a week in warm ups (just as you have). Then started including in WODs but with some rules:

- no more than 20 in a single set and no more than 50 in a workout (increased this limit over time if I was doing them regularly)
- keep a steady pace - not hell for leather
- never to failure

These dont come up too often in workouts so I stick with my rules and I wont include them if Ive gone 2 or 3 weeks without doing them in warm ups

Signature 

M/47/80kg