Overdid it - on the bench again - suggestions?
Posted: 05 November 2013 08:13 PM   [ Ignore ]
Pack Member
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  217
Joined  2011-06-28

Hi

I’ve been crossfitting on and off for a few years now and enjoy the workouts more than traditional machines and circuit training. I’ve been using scaling here, making up my own WOD’s and using CustomWOD online for workouts. Recently I was exhausted on a WOD and pushed through to complete it.
3RFT
50 sumo deadlift hi pulls, 45#
25 pushups
100m run with 45# plate overhead
25 pull ups

I was wrecked after the WOD, and 4 days later I still have swelling and pain in my elbows when I bend my arms. I can’t straighten them or bend them all the way. Tomorrow I think it will be back to normal.

I had thought I knew my limits, and scaled the third round with a small assistance band to help me finish the WOD. I tried to avoid muscular failure and broke up ALL the sets in all rounds of pushups and pullups to help avoid this.

My goal is to feel good about working out and maintain or improve my strength and stamina. When I suffer injuries (even short term swelling and pain) it’s moving me in the wrong direction. How do I figure out when to call it quits on a WOD to avoid this but not sell myself short? 

Truth be told this happens more than I care to admit, and more frequently when I join a group class and feel the pressure to compete with fellow crossfitters. I’ve never quit on a WOD in a group, and I’m not sure any trainer I’ve been with would even allow it.

Experienced coaches out there - do you have any suggestions for me?

Tony

Posted: 06 November 2013 07:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Boxer
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  679
Joined  2013-03-15

I am not a coach yet, but I do know that sleep and eating the right foods are just as important to training as using proper form and scaling. Are you getting enough or the right amounts of each? Furthermore, are you doing any mobility (foam rolling, stretching, massage) before and after your workouts? this could also help reduce soreness. Finally, are you sure you are proficient with the movements? The elbow soreness you mention could be from form break downs on the pullups. google up “pull up elbow” and check out some of the information and videos on this.

Signature 

Murph

M - 195lbs - 5’10” - 39
CF DOB - Jan 2013

“Sometimes God calms the storm. At other times, he calms the sailor. And sometimes he makes us swim.”

“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.” MLK Jr.

Posted: 06 November 2013 10:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Top Dawg
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3674
Joined  2007-12-23

Hey Toni
I looked at that WOD and thought ouch for your elbows, they didn’t get a break on any movement, I think you just over did it.
Crafting WOD’s is difficult, in many ways it looks like throwing random movements together, WOD’s that are all hips and core, think 400m lunges, or that one thats runs, hip ex, GHD situps work. However the elbow joint isn’t going to respond positively to that kind of volume.
When did you start back up after taking the summer off? - just a couple months ago? - did you start up with the same kind of volume that you left off with?

Signature 

CrossFit start date September 2007, joined the these boards December 2007

“Real strength never impairs beauty or harmony, but it often bestows it; and in everything imposingly beautiful, strength has much to do with the magic.”
- Hermin Melville

F/52yrs

Posted: 12 November 2013 05:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Pack Member
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  217
Joined  2011-06-28

Thanks All

I could definitely add some cooling down stretches, I tend to skip that (usually my family is waiting for me to finish to come join them for dinner after the workout). I get the sleep and nutrition ...

As for volume on the elbow, that probably was it. I’ve historically had some trouble with the elbow joints from my mid twenties onwards. I hadn’t thought of those movements affecting the elbow so much but in retrospect it clearly does.

More scaling, and perhaps even stopping after two rounds next time would save my body for continued workdouts.

Posted: 05 December 2013 04:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Mutt
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  44
Joined  2013-07-01

I havent been in the crossfit game that long but have been a strongman \ powerlifter for about seven years. The biggest thing i learned is the harder you work your body the more food you need to rebuild it. When i was deep into strongman , our group would train for 2hrs + on events . I was taking in 6000 to 8000 cals on those days and I was still losing weight but my body felt great and I wasn’t sore very much. Also check out Donnie Thompson on you tube. His got some great stuff on elbow pain and how to fix it. I use his advice all the time .

Signature 

m\37\5’11\253lbs
Don Vagi….
Crossfit=Alot harder than I ever thought it would be
Squat-475gear 425raw after 21 reps 135
bench-425gear 305raw
deadlift-500gear 425raw after 21 reps 115
cp-225 after 21 reps 115:( if Im lucky
Never quit, even if it takes all night