Terrible lift on bench press
Posted: 06 November 2013 04:41 AM   [ Ignore ]
Top Dawg
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1230
Joined  2010-01-30

Occasionally I benchmark bench press - literally two to three times a year when it comes up in WODs on the main site.  I haven’t had this happen in crossfit lifts and programming before but I regressed significantly.  I’ve been able to see very steady improvement in snatch, deadlift, clean, squat, and variations of overhead.  Usually bench press is carried right along.  I know that I never do the actual lift in any training in my logs but I was shocked that I dropped 30 lbs off my 3 rm from about 6 months ago.  It could be a fluke from other training this week in my strength bias programming for snatch but I was struggling to push the weight up.

Just curious what others have seen on occasional bench press with crossfit training as their programming.  I won’t file this in my brain as a concern because I hit a sweet squat clean pr yesterday with good form and my thrusters with good form are getting better and better for good sets so bench press isn’t a priority; just wondering.

Thanks for any input.

J

Signature 

“It is unwise to seek prominence in a field whose routine chores you do not enjoy”

Wolfgang Pauli

Translation:  Don’t try to be good at it if you’re not willing to poke at the details day after day and be excited about repeats.

Posted: 06 November 2013 12:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Top Dawg
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3872
Joined  2009-03-01

Mine usually tracked fairly well plus or minus 10 pounds.

Let me ask you this: how often are you doing push-ups in your conditioning?

Signature 

M/42/210#
Crossfit Birthday: 2/12/2009
FB: http://www.facebook.com/frosty996
Inertia plays a mighty role in recovery, and an object at rest on a couch can stay there for a long time.