Total Posts:  9609
Joined  2007-01-08

SATURDAY 131207

Four rounds for time of:
Row 500 meters
Rest 3 minutes

Post times to comments.

Compare to 110808.

The mainpage of CrossFit directs new people here for help getting started.
CF can be confusing enough for a newbie, we want to make it as easy as possible for them.  We ask you to be courteous and thoughtful of the newbies.

Answers to frequently asked questions can be found in the Beginners forum.

Signature 

Craig Massey

“The point of CF is to get better at life.  Being unable to workout tomorrow because you were pigheaded today is not in line with our goals.”
Garddawg - 22 March 2009

“CrossFit is not dangerous.
Bad coaching is dangerous, poor movement is dangerous. Ego is dangerous.
CrossFit, properly scaled to the individual is the safest and most efficient program available for strength, conditioning and movement.”
BlueBugofJustice - 18 August 2009

Posted: 06 December 2013 06:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  9609
Joined  2007-01-08

Last time out, GD scaled this as:

Garddawg - 07 August 2011 06:27 PM

Good news, today everyone is a Big Dawg!

Signature 

Craig Massey

“The point of CF is to get better at life.  Being unable to workout tomorrow because you were pigheaded today is not in line with our goals.”
Garddawg - 22 March 2009

“CrossFit is not dangerous.
Bad coaching is dangerous, poor movement is dangerous. Ego is dangerous.
CrossFit, properly scaled to the individual is the safest and most efficient program available for strength, conditioning and movement.”
BlueBugofJustice - 18 August 2009

Posted: 07 December 2013 04:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Top Dawg
Total Posts:  2227
Joined  2013-07-26

smile Morning all, Here’s to the Memory of the Pearl Harbor Fallen and Survivors,It’s sad that so very few remain with us. 72 years ago today We were Attacked and our Pacific Fleet decimated . It’s good to forgive past aggressions, But one should never forget lest History repeat itself as it unfortunately and inevitably does.Here’s to there Memories.Thank you for your Service and Sacrifice.

Squat day week 11
I decided to ditch the box and test myself on depth today.

132 x 5
176 x 3
220 x 2
264 x 1
286 x 1
308 x 1
330 x 1
352 x 1
363 x 1
374 x 1   http://vimeo.com/81273222
330 x 3
All in all not bad since I haven’t Squatted in last 2 weeks, That and not using the box. I also got to use my spiffy new expensive knee sleeves. They felt pretty good.

Wife did a great 200 x 5 no box squats set. Great depth on each rep.  http://vimeo.com/81274710

Just took Connie down ( C2 Rower)  The wife wanted to see how it felt on her injured shoulder. She pulled nice and easy 5:30 500 Meter pace. She said there was no pain.Good news. I took a crack at it myself. I set it at level 5 and pulled a warm up of 1:48.3 . The Deadlift and Squats have improved the force on my pull. Felt pretty good.I will have to rekindle the relationship. 
Have a great day all.

Signature 

M/ 56/ 6’/ 264
The soul of the lazy man desires and has nothing;But the soul of the diligent shall be made rich. Proverbs 13;4

Posted: 07 December 2013 05:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Big Dawg
RankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  338
Joined  2013-10-05

Cross-posted from beginners forum (reference SDHP subs):

I’m pushing this WOD back a bit (this evening or tomorrow) because I want to find the best way to do them for proper form.  I have a disc in my lower neck that bulged 5 +\- years ago, and I’ve read a lot about impingement doing this one wrong.  Any suggestions for THE best video example?

Signature 

M/39/76”/245# Camo Belt ATA Taekwondo
CFBD: 10/01/2013

In the moment when I truly understand my enemy, understand him well enough to defeat him, then in that very moment I also love him. I think it’s impossible to really understand somebody, what they want, what they believe, and not love them the way they love themselves. And then, in that very moment when I love them…. I destroy them. -Ender Wiggins, Ender’s Game, Orson Scott Card

Posted: 07 December 2013 05:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Top Dawg
Joined  2013-07-26
SheepDawg - 07 December 2013 05:03 AM

Cross-posted from beginners forum (reference SDHP subs):

I’m pushing this WOD back a bit (this evening or tomorrow) because I want to find the best way to do them for proper form.  I have a disc in my lower neck that bulged 5 +\- years ago, and I’ve read a lot about impingement doing this one wrong.  Any suggestions for THE best video example?

Don’t do it if it has the potential to reaggravate an old injury. I for one will only do box step ups since box jumps kill my ankles and knees.You pick and choose based on your own personal circumstances.Good luck SheepDawg

Signature 

M/ 56/ 6’/ 264
The soul of the lazy man desires and has nothing;But the soul of the diligent shall be made rich. Proverbs 13;4

Posted: 07 December 2013 05:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Big Dawg
Joined  2013-10-05

Thanks, OPG.  The potential is only there IF I do it WRONG.  I’ve been medically cleared (from that injury) and told I can do whatever exercises I choose so long as I keep upwith the PT neck extensions and retractions.  Running (for a “hobby”) is a different matter from a lack of cartilage in the right knee. (I used to help the insurance companies support surgeons’ hobbies.  LOL )

Signature 

In the moment when I truly understand my enemy, understand him well enough to defeat him, then in that very moment I also love him. I think it’s impossible to really understand somebody, what they want, what they believe, and not love them the way they love themselves. And then, in that very moment when I love them…. I destroy them. -Ender Wiggins, Ender’s Game, Orson Scott Card

Posted: 07 December 2013 06:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Top Dawg
Joined  2013-07-26
SheepDawg - 07 December 2013 05:56 AM

Thanks, OPG.  The potential is only there IF I do it WRONG.  I’ve been medically cleared (from that injury) and told I can do whatever exercises I choose so long as I keep upwith the PT neck extensions and retractions.  Running (for a “hobby”) is a different matter from a lack of cartilage in the right knee. (I used to help the insurance companies support surgeons’ hobbies.  LOL )

That being the case, Then look for videos and keep it light. And thanks for keeping our health care workers gainfully employed. wink  Take care SheepDawg

Signature 

M/ 56/ 6’/ 264

Posted: 07 December 2013 07:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Boxer
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  676
Joined  2013-03-15

Sheepdawg, excerpt from Crossfit trainers guide on SDHP:

SETUP:
• Stance = wider than shoulder width, but not so wide
that the knees roll inside the feet
• Weight in heels
• Back arched/lumbar curve locked in
• Shoulders slightly in front of the bar
• Bar in contact with the shins
• Arms locked straight
• Symmetrical grip inside the knees
EXECUTION:
• Accelerate through the heels from the ground to full
extension of the hips and legs
• Shrug, with straight arms
• Arms follow through by pulling bar to the chin with
elbows high and outside
• Return the bar down fluidly in the reverse sequence:
arms, then traps, then hips, then knees, back to the setup position

PRIMARY POINTS OF PERFORMANCE:
• Hips open before shrug and arm bend
• Bar is pulled up to just below the chin
• Fast and aggressive
• Elbows travel and finish high and outside; elbows are
higher than the hands at all times during the movement

Signature 

Murph

M - 195lbs - 5’10” - 39
CF DOB - Jan 2013

“Sometimes God calms the storm. At other times, he calms the sailor. And sometimes he makes us swim.”

“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.” MLK Jr.

Posted: 07 December 2013 07:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Top Dawg
Joined  2013-07-26
Murph99 - 07 December 2013 07:18 AM

SETUP:
• Weight in heels
• Arms locked straight
EXECUTION:
elbows high and outside

• Fast and aggressive

Thanks Murph, I agree with all but the fast and aggressive part on someone with previous injury of the neck due to all the tension this movement places in that region at the top of the Pull. at least that’s how it feels when I do it. Of Course I am pretty old and everything I do hurts. LOL!

Signature 

M/ 56/ 6’/ 264

Posted: 07 December 2013 08:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Big Dawg
Joined  2013-10-05
OPG57 - 07 December 2013 07:44 AM

SETUP:
• Weight in heels
• Arms locked straight
EXECUTION:
elbows high and outside

• Fast and aggressive

Thanks Murph, I agree with all but the fast and aggressive part on someone with previous injury of the neck due to all the tension this movement places in that region at the top of the Pull. at least that’s how it feels when I do it. Of Course I am pretty old and everything I do hurts. LOL!

Thanks for the replies, guys!  I think I’m going to split the sets (to be safe) 1st and 3rd SDHPs and 2nd and 4th Nordic Trac skiing 500 meters.

Signature 

Posted: 07 December 2013 08:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Top Dawg
Joined  2013-07-26
SheepDawg - 07 December 2013 08:11 AM
OPG57 - 07 December 2013 07:44 AM

SETUP:
• Weight in heels
• Arms locked straight
EXECUTION:
elbows high and outside

• Fast and aggressive

Thanks for the replies, guys!  I think I’m going to split the sets (to be safe) 1st and 3rd SDHPs and 2nd and 4th Nordic Trac skiing 500 meters.

Good deal Sheep Dawg, Hope it goes well.Have a great weekend

Signature 

M/ 56/ 6’/ 264

Posted: 07 December 2013 09:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Top Dawg
Total Posts:  828
Joined  2011-07-07

Wife and toddler sick at home today, laying off work to be Doctor Dad! Deadlifts and bench will have to wait

Signature 

M / 29 / 185# (84K) / 6’1 (185cm)
Crossfit DOB: 2/1/2011
2013 Goals

“Fear not, for I am with you;
    Be not dismayed, for I am your God.
    I will strengthen you. Yes, I will help you,
    I will uphold you with My righteous right hand.”
              -Isaiah 41:10

Posted: 07 December 2013 09:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Top Dawg
Joined  2013-07-26
dannyrod - 07 December 2013 09:49 AM

Wife and toddler sick at home today, laying off work to be Doctor Dad! Deadlifts and bench will have to wait

Thats far more important, I hope they get well soon Danny. Good Job Dad!

Signature 

M/ 56/ 6’/ 264

Posted: 07 December 2013 09:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Top Dawg
Total Posts:  828
Joined  2011-07-07
OPG57 - 07 December 2013 04:04 AM

smile Morning all, Here’s to the Memory of the Pearl Harbor Fallen and Survivors,It’s sad that so very few remain with us. 72 years ago today We were Attacked and our Pacific Fleet decimated . It’s good to forgive past aggressions, But one should never forget lest History repeat itself as it unfortunately and inevitably does.Here’s to there Memories.Thank you for your Service and Sacrifice.

Squat day week 11

132 x 5
176 x 3
220 x 2
264 x 1
286 x 1
308 x 1
330 x 1
352 x 1
363 x 1
330 x 3
All in all not bad since I haven’t Squatted in last 2 weeks, That and not using the box. I also got to use my spiffy new expensive knee sleeves. They felt pretty good.

Wife did a great 200 x 5 no box squats set. Great depth on each rep.

Just took Connie down ( C2 Rower)  The wife wanted to see how it felt on her injured shoulder. She pulled nice and easy 5:30 500 Meter pace. She said there was no pain.Good news. I took a crack at it myself. I set it at level 5 and pulled a warm up of 1:48.3 . The Deadlift and Squats have improved the force on my pull. Felt pretty good.I will have to rekindle the relationship. 
Have a great day all.

Amen to the Thanks for all that our veterans have done for us. That’s some awesome squat and rower work! I wish I had one at home too! Glad to hear the wife is healing up!

Signature 

M / 29 / 185# (84K) / 6’1 (185cm)
Crossfit DOB: 2/1/2011
2013 Goals

“Fear not, for I am with you;
    Be not dismayed, for I am your God.
    I will strengthen you. Yes, I will help you,
    I will uphold you with My righteous right hand.”
              -Isaiah 41:10

Posted: 07 December 2013 09:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Top Dawg
Joined  2013-07-26
dannyrod - 07 December 2013 09:52 AM
OPG57 - 07 December 2013 04:04 AM

Squat day week 11

132 x 5
176 x 3
220 x 2
264 x 1
286 x 1
308 x 1
330 x 1
352 x 1
363 x 1
330 x 3

Wife did a great 200 x 5 no box squats set. Great depth on each rep.

Have a great day all.

Amen to the Thanks for all that our veterans have done for us. That’s some awesome squat and rower work! I wish I had one at home too! Glad to hear the wife is healing up!

THanks my friend. Go Make some Chicken soup for the family Dr. Dad.

Signature 

M/ 56/ 6’/ 264

Posted: 07 December 2013 10:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Boxer
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  541
Joined  2010-03-16

CI: Row 1000m

SATURDAY 131207

Four rounds for time of:
Row 500 meters
Rest 3 minutes

1:42.7, 1:51.4, 1:49.9, 1:49.9

CO: Row 1000 m