Not experiencing desired results
Posted: 26 December 2013 09:45 AM   [ Ignore ]
Mutt
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  31
Joined  2013-05-29

Hi Everyone,
I started crossfit not too long ago and noticed drastic strength improvements within a months time. However, the main reason I wanted to start crossfit was to lose weight, however, I wasn’t experiencing any weight loss. I decided to change my diet into a paleo diet with a few exceptions like milk and protein shakes. After a few weeks instead of losing, I actually started gaining weight which was the last thing I wanted. So I went to strict paleo, eating mainly chicken breast and fish with lots of veggies and about 2 servings of fruit a day. After two weeks of strict paleo, 1 hour of cardio a day on top of my crossfit lifting in the evening I’ve gained another 5 lbs… I’m not sure what is happening to have the constant increase in weight, but please help! The following is a sample of the average of my diet for the past two weeks.

Daily Consumption
Calories: 1440
Protein: 150g
Carbs: 75g
Fat: 60g

I don’t know how accurate this is, it’s based upon using the “Lose It!” App

Please give me some advise on what I can do to actually lose weight… Thank you.

Signature 

M/24/230#
On my way to getting Crossfit, start 5/29/2013
The only difference between a goal and a pipe dream is the work you put in, start the work today!

Posted: 27 December 2013 02:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Pack Member
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  260
Joined  2010-05-20

Hi! You might want to cut back on the fruit a bit. While healthy it still has a lot of sugar. HTH!

Signature 

- Mike

Posted: 27 December 2013 02:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Top Dawg
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1683
Joined  2008-02-14

Hey Poduh,
First off, congrats on going strict paleo during the holidays.  There’s a lot of temptation out there with all the carb-laden goodies that seem to appear on every horizontal surface.

From what you write you seem to be on a sensible path and I can understand your frustration with weight gain.  I don’t have any magic incantation for you, but I would say to stay-the-course with your diet and exercise for another couple weeks and see what happens. 

Are you tracking everything you eat?  And drink?

Also. sneaky calories can show up in wine/beer, fru-fru coffee drinks, the “occasional” treat from the office candy dish, cheat night (gone wild), and almost-paleo foods.

Posted: 27 December 2013 08:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Mutt
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  31
Joined  2013-05-29
canis_nerdus - 27 December 2013 02:32 PM

Hey Poduh,
First off, congrats on going strict paleo during the holidays.  There’s a lot of temptation out there with all the carb-laden goodies that seem to appear on every horizontal surface.

From what you write you seem to be on a sensible path and I can understand your frustration with weight gain.  I don’t have any magic incantation for you, but I would say to stay-the-course with your diet and exercise for another couple weeks and see what happens. 

Are you tracking everything you eat?  And drink?

Also. sneaky calories can show up in wine/beer, fru-fru coffee drinks, the “occasional” treat from the office candy dish, cheat night (gone wild), and almost-paleo foods.

Avoiding the carb dishes was easy since I’m fairly sensitive to gluten.

And thank you for the advice, I guess I just needed affirmation that my course was the right path to be on.

Signature 

M/24/230#
On my way to getting Crossfit, start 5/29/2013
The only difference between a goal and a pipe dream is the work you put in, start the work today!

Posted: 03 January 2014 10:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Top Dawg
Total Posts:  3675
Joined  2007-12-23

I find the lose it app to be fairly accurate.
Your calorie total seems to me to be too low, you probably want to get up to at least 2000Kcal a day for your age and activity level, its a weird thing sometimes that you can actually eat to little to lose weight.
Try to eat more protein and fats and keep the carbs the same by adding veggies and taking out the fruit.
You might also be somewhat suspicious of the protein shakes, I know they are an easy way to get protein so they’re tempting - I do use them myself sometimes for the pure convenience but I try to limit them to only a couple a week and

eat real food not processed food products.

Signature 

CrossFit start date September 2007, joined the these boards December 2007

“Real strength never impairs beauty or harmony, but it often bestows it; and in everything imposingly beautiful, strength has much to do with the magic.”
- Hermin Melville

F/52yrs

Posted: 03 January 2014 01:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  9841
Joined  2007-01-08

And how are your measurements going?

I can’t find an intro post that would tell me what your history with exercise was, so I’m basing this on the assumption that you were fairly deconditioned before starting CF?
A while back (http://forum.crossfitbrandx.com/index.php/forums/viewthread/17971/#309819) you reported having lost body fat but not weight. For somebody overweight and not having exercised that’s about what I’d expect.

By using exercise to lose weight and not just diet, and the combination is the right way to do it of course, you’re going to put on muscle so you may not get lighter. But you should see the size redistributing itself. Shirts getting tighter in the shoulders, pants getting looser in the waist and tighter in the thighs etc. Depending on how you’re built of course.

I’d monitor that, % BF and WOD performance much more than weight.

Signature 

Craig Massey

“The point of CF is to get better at life.  Being unable to workout tomorrow because you were pigheaded today is not in line with our goals.”
Garddawg - 22 March 2009

“CrossFit is not dangerous.
Bad coaching is dangerous, poor movement is dangerous. Ego is dangerous.
CrossFit, properly scaled to the individual is the safest and most efficient program available for strength, conditioning and movement.”
BlueBugofJustice - 18 August 2009