2 of 3
Wednesday, January 1st 2014 - Heavy thrusters and Muscle ups
Posted: 01 January 2014 05:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Big Dawg
RankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  302
Joined  2013-02-23

HAPPY NEW YEAR everyone!

Wednesday 140101 4:15 pm -  70 degrees in the garage - kids wanted to “work out” with me but they lost interest after 5 minutes or so and just played out in the yard.

WU:
First - 300 Single-unders broken into several parts.  I am just not getting Double unders yet - still tried a few attempts.
Then-  3 rounds of: Samson stretch, 5 shoulder dislocates, 15 OHS w/ pvc pipe, 15 sit-ups, 15 good-mornings w/ 45 pounds, 12 pull-ups (no dips - see WOD).

WOD:
Pack - lite
5 rounds for time of:
12 strict dips on dip stand
9 thrusters 75 pounds

Time = 13:45  

Dips broken into 3s on second round, 2s after that.  Thrusters broken 5-4 after second round. 
I chose to go lighter on the thrusters after trying 2 reps at 95 pounds and feeling like it wouldn’t work for the whole WOD. 
I saw some of the big dogs times and tried to scale to finish in under 15 minutes.  Might have been able to do 85 pounds.

Wishing all of you a healthy and happy 2014!

Signature 

M/45/6’2”/200#
Started CrossFit 07/03/12
Part timer - 3 days / week
My home - garage, or back yard - Mesa Arizona

Phillipians 4:13 “I can do all things in Christ who strengthens me.”
Proverbs 27:17 “As iron sharpens iron, so one person sharpens another.”

Posted: 01 January 2014 05:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Big Dawg
Total Posts:  452
Joined  2012-09-24

Rest day for me

Signature 

M/34/5’ 10”/182#

Posted: 01 January 2014 06:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Boxer
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  545
Joined  2012-06-10
Glorybelle - 01 January 2014 11:06 AM
Ktm124 - 01 January 2014 10:59 AM

Pack
Five rounds for time of:
15 Strict ring dips
105 pound Thruster, 9 reps

18:30
I am not good at ring dips. Was down to 3’s by the end of round 2 and then 2’s by the last round. Thrusters weren’t bad since I had plenty of time to catch my breathe taking forever on the rings.

Happy New Year all

Nice work on the rings! I have some at home, but I don’t have any plates and wanted to go heavier on the Thrusters than my 45 lb. barbell. But in hindsight, I should have done this WOD at home, used the rings and done the Thrusters at only 45#. My upper body is TOAST!

Thx GB. I didn’t feel so bad about having to break them down after I watched Dan Baileys vid today where he did the same. Those ring dips are definitely brutal. You know it’s bad when thrusters are the easy part.

Signature 

M/41/6’4”/190
“The wind blows where it chooses,” Jesus said, “and you hear the sound of it, but you do not know where it comes from or where it goes. So it is with everyone who is born of the Spirit.”
John 3:8

Posted: 01 January 2014 07:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Top Dawg
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  913
Joined  2011-01-04

Active Rest Day

30 min steep walk on treadmill.
Air squats an push ups to finish it off.

Dips and thrusters tomorrow

Happy New Year!!!

Signature 

“All brave men love; for he only is brave who has affections to fight for, whether in the daily battle of life, or in physical contests.”
                                                                                                        Nathaniel Hawthorne

M 37
5’ 11”
CF DOB 2010

Posted: 01 January 2014 07:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Boxer
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  778
Joined  2012-02-26

Rest day.

Signature 

M/29/6’/165
Crossfit Birthday 3/6/12
Starting weight 145

Posted: 01 January 2014 08:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Big Dawg
Joined  2012-12-23

Wednesday WOD: 3RFT
15 strict pushups
9 thrusters, 40#

No bend of leg or hip in pushup reps.

Time: 15:43.3

Sadly, in set 3 I had to switch to knee push-ups because I could not complete one rep in set three, despite about 10-12 attempts. My arms were completely spent, and right after I could barely get my hands over my head. Took about 10 tries to get the 15th push-up of the second set in & I had at least 3 no reps for bending my hips. In set 3, I couldn’t even do push-ups singly and even had to do a broken set of knee push-ups.

I was so pissed at this subpar effort that I cashed out with a ferocious 20min elliptical workout, except that I apparently couldn’t be bothered to go hard all the way to the wire. I was badly, badly disappointed with this lack of effort and willingness to give maximum effort in the cash-out.

I am saddened by my pathetic effort and hope that I don’t make a habit out of letting up, giving up, or accepting less than giving it my all. Grateful for a rest day tomorrow - might just do a light jog, if anything. The eating schedule is going to allow me to take the day off entirely, should I so choose.

Signature 

M/41/5’10”/190 180
Mostly using CrossFit to tone softer parts of my body, not develop muscle mass…
Start date: 12/16/2012. Started at 210#. Still a pup for now, but hoping to move up soon!

Posted: 02 January 2014 01:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Pack Member
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  107
Joined  2009-07-26

3 rounds for time
9 thrusters 30kg
15 pushups
(only first rounds unbroken)

Signature 

SWEDEN
Crossfitting on and off since June 2009
———————————————————
“Today I will do what others won’t, so tomorrow I can accomplish what others can’t.”

“At the end, when your legs are tired and your arms are giving out, get angry! Get angry that you are tired. Then hit it harder.”

Posted: 02 January 2014 06:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Top Dawg
Total Posts:  3584
Joined  2013-07-26
MNtiger73 - 01 January 2014 08:48 PM

15 strict pushups
9 thrusters, 40#

Sadly, in set 3 I had to switch to knee push-ups because I could not complete one rep in set three, despite about 10-12 attempts. My arms were completely spent, and right after I could barely get my hands over my head. Took about 10 tries to get the 15th push-up of the second set in & I had at least 3 no reps for bending my hips. In set 3, I couldn’t even do push-ups singly and even had to do a broken set of knee push-ups.

I was so pissed at this subpar effort that I cashed out with a ferocious 20min elliptical workout, except that I apparently couldn’t be bothered to go hard all the way to the wire. I was badly, badly disappointed with this lack of effort and willingness to give maximum effort in the cash-out.

I am saddened by my pathetic effort and hope that I don’t make a habit out of letting up, giving up, or accepting less than giving it my all. Grateful for a rest day tomorrow - might just do a light jog, if anything. The eating schedule is going to allow me to take the day off entirely, should I so choose.

If you want to be successful at anything you stop the negative self talk.When you think you you have fallen short in your performance, whos standards are you using ? Who are you measuring yourself against. If its not you then you are looking in the wrong place.If its against past performances , One has to consider what has changed to make themselves fall short. approaching training with a negative outlook eventually makes one quit. The first rule for success is to honestly access your abilities, Do the form properly and don’t exceed your limitations.Strength building is a slow process,requiring years depending on how lofty ones goals are.  Never measure your success based on what someone else is doing.Your circumstances are entirely different then theres, i.e. Genetics, work schedule,home life,Attitude. there’s always some subtle difference that makes one better or worse. Turn your thinking around, Be happy with the 1 extra rep. or taking 1 second off a previous time. No increase is to small. Measure your success with the guy in the mirror, Don’t let a scale determine your success.That should be based on your performance. Good luck to you. in this New year.OPG

Signature 

M/ 57/ 72.5”/ 265
F /52/ 59’’ /173 Olypowergal

The eyes of the arrogant will be humbled and human pride brought low; The Lord alone will be exalted in that day. Isaiah 2:11

Posted: 02 January 2014 09:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Big Dawg
Total Posts:  332
Joined  2012-10-15

Row 5K for Time

Time - 19:11 which was a 39 second PR!

Bear Complex for 1 Rep Max

135#x1, 145#x1, 155#x1, 165#x1, 175#x1 (10# PR!) 185#-Fail on jerk.

Nice to start off the New Year with 2 PR’s.

Signature 

M 42/5’9”/180#/ CFBD 10-11-2012

Posted: 02 January 2014 09:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Big Dawg
Total Posts:  452
Joined  2012-09-24

15 strict pushups
9 thrusters, 40#

It sounds to me like you gave it everything you had. Don’t be so hard on yourself. Aim to improve for the next time.

Signature 

M/34/5’ 10”/182#

Posted: 02 January 2014 11:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Pack Member
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  151
Joined  2013-06-13

Wednesday 140101

Cooper Run 1.5 mi. 10:37 min.

XFit - Rest Day (late for work)

Signature 

June 2014 M / 34 / 5’10” / 154 lbs
June 2013 M / 33 / 178cm (5’10”) / 68kg (150 lbs)

Posted: 02 January 2014 12:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Big Dawg
Joined  2012-12-23

I’m just comparing to me and my past, man. I guess I have to remember that 8-10 weeks of nothing but cardio for an office challenge caused my upper body to get soft. I’m thankful I know when to scale it back. I always have to remember that I gave it what I had on that particular day. If that’s all I can do, it’s all I can do. I need to give it my all while making sure I’m not being pigheaded and costing myself the next day’s workout.

I’ll get there. Yesterday just wasn’t my day, that’s all…and sometimes I have to remember that this is OK as I return to CF after all that time on the all-cardio route.

OPG57 - 02 January 2014 06:07 AM

15 strict pushups
9 thrusters, 40#

If you want to be successful at anything you stop the negative self talk.When you think you you have fallen short in your performance, whos standards are you using ? Who are you measuring yourself against. If its not you then you are looking in the wrong place.If its against past performances , One has to consider what has changed to make themselves fall short. approaching training with a negative outlook eventually makes one quit. The first rule for success is to honestly access your abilities, Do the form properly and don’t exceed your limitations.Strength building is a slow process,requiring years depending on how lofty ones goals are.  Never measure your success based on what someone else is doing.Your circumstances are entirely different then theres, i.e. Genetics, work schedule,home life,Attitude. there’s always some subtle difference that makes one better or worse. Turn your thinking around, Be happy with the 1 extra rep. or taking 1 second off a previous time. No increase is to small. Measure your success with the guy in the mirror, Don’t let a scale determine your success.That should be based on your performance. Good luck to you. in this New year.OPG

Signature 

M/41/5’10”/190 180
Mostly using CrossFit to tone softer parts of my body, not develop muscle mass…
Start date: 12/16/2012. Started at 210#. Still a pup for now, but hoping to move up soon!

Posted: 02 January 2014 01:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Top Dawg
Total Posts:  944
Joined  2009-10-30

Five Three rounds for time of:
15 10 Strict dips
105 pound Thruster, 9 reps

Signature 

M/56/5’10”/212

Lay on, Macduff, And damn’d be him that first cries, “Hold, enough!”

Posted: 02 January 2014 02:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Top Dawg
Total Posts:  944
Joined  2009-10-30
MNtiger73 - 02 January 2014 12:19 PM

I’m just comparing to me and my past, man. I guess I have to remember that 8-10 weeks of nothing but cardio for an office challenge caused my upper body to get soft. I’m thankful I know when to scale it back. I always have to remember that I gave it what I had on that particular day. If that’s all I can do, it’s all I can do. I need to give it my all while making sure I’m not being pigheaded and costing myself the next day’s workout.

I’ll get there. Yesterday just wasn’t my day, that’s all…and sometimes I have to remember that this is OK as I return to CF after all that time on the all-cardio route.

15 strict pushups
9 thrusters, 40#

Much better attitude. Like OPG says (or words to that effect), it’s the effort on that day and your perserverance over time that matters, not the one-day result.

Signature 

M/56/5’10”/212

Lay on, Macduff, And damn’d be him that first cries, “Hold, enough!”

Posted: 02 January 2014 03:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
Top Dawg
Total Posts:  3584
Joined  2013-07-26
MNtiger73 - 02 January 2014 12:19 PM

15 strict pushups
9 thrusters, 40#

I understand what your saying.We as a group were concerned about how disheartened you were.Yes a straight dose of cardio for 2 months will knock your strength big time. Glad to hear your OK with how things are. Your last 2 posts came across as you being very disappointed with yourself.Encouragement is a large aspect of this site.Alot of people have each others back here.Were here for you should you ever need advice or a encouragement. Take care and God Bless MNTiger73.OPG

Signature 

M/ 57/ 72.5”/ 265
F /52/ 59’’ /173 Olypowergal

The eyes of the arrogant will be humbled and human pride brought low; The Lord alone will be exalted in that day. Isaiah 2:11

2 of 3