Running!!!
Posted: 06 January 2014 07:20 AM   [ Ignore ]
Pack Member
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  231
Joined  2009-11-09

As I am currently serving in the Army I have just been handed a copy of our training programme which, with its usual amount of imagination consists of mostly running and tabbing, is this going to hamper my CF training? I was planning on doing a 2-1 schedule and was keeping my running down to a minimum purely because I come from a running background and I am trying to gain some mass for a change, and with 15 years of running under my belt isnt something I really want/need to work on. It may workout that I do a day on day off routine to prevent me from over training and taking the weekends as a skill and flexability time, but i am unsure if I will get the maximum benefit from CF training this way, is anyone else in a similar boat?, if so how are you getting around this if at all?

Signature 

M34/5’6”/148

Xfit DOB 01/01/12

I hate crossfit, I love crossfit!

Posted: 06 January 2014 11:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Top Dawg
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  836
Joined  2012-07-04

The answer is probably: “It depends.” Don’t think anyone else can tell you how much is enough.

As a soldier (though not full-time) my personal experience is that plain crossfit in itself has done a lot of good for me - e.g. better markmanship, work capacity in different domains and better running endurance. Probably your unit would be better off with a crossfit inspired program than the classic run, run and then run some more. This post from Kempie about team sports looks applicable in this case. http://forum.crossfitbrandx.com/index.php/forums/viewreply/72624/

One of my mates at the box is on full-time service and he shows up several times a week, though I don’t know what their physical training program is.

Signature 

M 31/1.79 m/72 kg

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It’s perfect when it arrives and puts itself in our hands. It hopes we’ve learned something from yesterday. - John Wayne

Posted: 07 January 2014 06:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Pack Member
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  231
Joined  2009-11-09

Yeah the old running programme and that’ll do philosiphy still applies to alot of people with no room to add much else which is narrow minded at best, one of our PTI’s has just got the gym affiliated and there is a definate increase in people trying it thats for sure, cheers for the feedback anyway, I think I will just stick to my 2-1 and see how it goes for now and will just have to be flexable if it cant be fitted in.

Signature 

M34/5’6”/148

Xfit DOB 01/01/12

I hate crossfit, I love crossfit!

‹‹ Alpha Showdown      Happy Birthday Metric! ››