4 of 4
Saturday, January 11th, 2014 - Cindy XXX
Posted: 12 January 2014 01:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 46 ]
Top Dawg
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  856
Joined  2011-07-07

3 mile round trip walk to the farmer’s market with wife and kiddos!

1 hour raking leaves

Signature 

M / 30 / 185# (84K) / 6’1 (185cm)
Crossfit DOB: 2/1/2011
2014 Goals

“Fear not, for I am with you;
    Be not dismayed, for I am your God.
    I will strengthen you. Yes, I will help you,
    I will uphold you with My righteous right hand.”
              -Isaiah 41:10

Posted: 12 January 2014 01:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 47 ]
Top Dawg
Total Posts:  3107
Joined  2013-07-26
dannyrod - 12 January 2014 01:29 PM

3 mile round trip walk to the farmer’s market with wife and kiddos!

1 hour raking leaves

The Best kind of WOD. Enjoy the day Danny.

Signature 

M/ 57/ 6’/ 268   down from 272.5 lbs
F/51/ 4’11’’  Olypowergal

A comfort zone is a beautiful place but nothing ever grows there

Posted: 12 January 2014 03:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 48 ]
Big Dawg
RankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  351
Joined  2008-03-03

Puppies
Complete as much as possible in 12 (10)minutes of:
10 Pull-ups 30 pound assist
20 Push-ups
30 Squats
15 Pull-ups 30 pound assist
30 Push-ups
45 Squats
Spaced out somehow and set timer for 12 minutes.  It beeped on the last squat.

Signature 

Looks like I picked a bad day to re-start CrossFit!
M/54/6’2”, 188cm/240#, 109kg

Posted: 12 January 2014 05:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 49 ]
Pack Member
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  294
Joined  2013-03-11

Rest day

Not by choice.  Lower back felt like it was going to lock up.

Signature 

M/40/5’7”/165

“Burpees don’t like you either”

Posted: 12 January 2014 06:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 50 ]
Pack Member
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  179
Joined  2013-01-04
OPG57 - 12 January 2014 12:48 PM
AntDawg - 12 January 2014 08:08 AM
OPG57 - 12 January 2014 06:22 AM
Mike R. - 11 January 2014 10:51 PM

B/I:
50 single-unders
cfwu
stretch
Good Morning:
1x10 @ 15 lbs
Stiff-legged Deadlift:
1x10 @ 45 lbs

SWOD
Deadlift:
1x10 @ 65 lbs
1x5 @ 85 lbs
5x3 @ 105-125-145-165-185(PR) lbs
12-9-6 @ 115 lbs
Felt like form was starting to slip a little at 185. Switched to hook grip and it seemed to help some.
Pressed for time today. No metcon. Will try to get in a run tomorrow.

C/O:
50 single-unders
stretch
hip mobility

Good job on the 185 Mike , closing in on 200. Not sure why everyone is so focused on hook grip or double overhand on Deadlifts ,As a Powerlifter we use an alternating grip to keep bar from rolling in our hands thus allowing the bar to be locked in. Hooked grip is great for Olympic lifts if you are staying at 110% of 1 rm weight or below on your Snatch or clean Deadlifts or high pulls . Most Olympic lifters Opt for using straps on Snatch width grip or clean grip Deadlifts which are not like performing regular Powerlifting Deadlifts.I for one dealt with chronic thumb pain after 5 years of Olympic lifting due to overuse of hook grip.Maybe it was just me, If you review some Olympic training tapes of more advanced Olympiic lifters you will see them using straps on the lifts I’m referring to.Don’t get me wrong, Hook grip is a must on performing the Olympic lifts. it is very effective for maintaining ones grip when you are exploding on the second pull. I only question its use when one gets into Heavy Powerlifting style Deadlifts using weights 2-3x bodyweight the lifter could never realisticly lift overhead .I only give advice because I did this for years and know how painful it could be with max weights that I could never have actually Cleaned but could Deadlift. Since you are new to lifting, I would do some research and learn all your options.There is a reason why 99% of Powerlifters use an alternating grip performing max Deadlifts.Good luck to you.

I’m focused on hook grip for two reasons. One, starting my deadlift phase, I told myself I’m only using hook grip. Continuing to use it now is keeping the consistency. Two, I want to improve my hook grip to crossover that skill to other lifts. Now being able to use the hook grip at 300 + pounds, keeping that hold in the 100’s for higher reps isn’t a big deal. Overall, I’m looking to increase my WOD performance when oly lifting comes into play. Hook grip has the most crossover to different lifts, why not work on it?

I’ve used over/under a lot in the past. It’s comfortable one way for me, but not the other (right under isn’t comfortable for me). I didn’t like the hook grip at first, but after sticking to it and building it up, it’s natural now. I even KB swing with it. Ultimately, it’ll depend on what people’s goals are.

Don’t forget to tell him about your 20 grit thumbs. In Olympic lifting we tape them.

You guys are obviously both a lot more experienced, and a lot stronger, than I am. Thank you both for you feedback. I was experimenting with using the hook grip on power snatches the other day and found that it helped, so I thought I would apply that here. I will definitely give the over/under grip a try next time I do heavy (for me) deadlifts. Ultimately I’m sure I’ll just have to practice both ways and see what works better for me.

Signature 

M/35/6’0”/170 lbs

“Courage is not having the strength to go on; it is going on when you don’t have the strength.”
― Theodore Roosevelt

Posted: 12 January 2014 09:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 51 ]
Top Dawg
Total Posts:  3107
Joined  2013-07-26
Mike R. - 12 January 2014 06:34 PM
OPG57 - 12 January 2014 12:48 PM
AntDawg - 12 January 2014 08:08 AM
OPG57 - 12 January 2014 06:22 AM
Mike R. - 11 January 2014 10:51 PM

B/I:
50 single-unders
cfwu
stretch
Good Morning:
1x10 @ 15 lbs
Stiff-legged Deadlift:
1x10 @ 45 lbs

SWOD
Deadlift:
1x10 @ 65 lbs
1x5 @ 85 lbs
5x3 @ 105-125-145-165-185(PR) lbs
12-9-6 @ 115 lbs
Felt like form was starting to slip a little at 185. Switched to hook grip and it seemed to help some.
Pressed for time today. No metcon. Will try to get in a run tomorrow.

C/O:
50 single-unders
stretch
hip mobility

Good job on the 185 Mike , closing in on 200. Not sure why everyone is so focused on hook grip or double overhand on Deadlifts ,As a Powerlifter we use an alternating grip to keep bar from rolling in our hands thus allowing the bar to be locked in. Hooked grip is great for Olympic lifts if you are staying at 110% of 1 rm weight or below on your Snatch or clean Deadlifts or high pulls . Most Olympic lifters Opt for using straps on Snatch width grip or clean grip Deadlifts which are not like performing regular Powerlifting Deadlifts.I for one dealt with chronic thumb pain after 5 years of Olympic lifting due to overuse of hook grip.Maybe it was just me, If you review some Olympic training tapes of more advanced Olympiic lifters you will see them using straps on the lifts I’m referring to.Don’t get me wrong, Hook grip is a must on performing the Olympic lifts. it is very effective for maintaining ones grip when you are exploding on the second pull. I only question its use when one gets into Heavy Powerlifting style Deadlifts using weights 2-3x bodyweight the lifter could never realisticly lift overhead .I only give advice because I did this for years and know how painful it could be with max weights that I could never have actually Cleaned but could Deadlift. Since you are new to lifting, I would do some research and learn all your options.There is a reason why 99% of Powerlifters use an alternating grip performing max Deadlifts.Good luck to you.

I’m focused on hook grip for two reasons. One, starting my deadlift phase, I told myself I’m only using hook grip. Continuing to use it now is keeping the consistency. Two, I want to improve my hook grip to crossover that skill to other lifts. Now being able to use the hook grip at 300 + pounds, keeping that hold in the 100’s for higher reps isn’t a big deal. Overall, I’m looking to increase my WOD performance when oly lifting comes into play. Hook grip has the most crossover to different lifts, why not work on it?

I’ve used over/under a lot in the past. It’s comfortable one way for me, but not the other (right under isn’t comfortable for me). I didn’t like the hook grip at first, but after sticking to it and building it up, it’s natural now. I even KB swing with it. Ultimately, it’ll depend on what people’s goals are.

Don’t forget to tell him about your 20 grit thumbs. In Olympic lifting we tape them.

You guys are obviously both a lot more experienced, and a lot stronger, than I am. Thank you both for you feedback. I was experimenting with using the hook grip on power snatches the other day and found that it helped, so I thought I would apply that here. I will definitely give the over/under grip a try next time I do heavy (for me) deadlifts. Ultimately I’m sure I’ll just have to practice both ways and see what works better for me.

Good luck to you on your workouts. I hope you get everything out of this experience you desire. As you train remember you are a Father and protector of your little girl and Wife. As men we have a responsiblity to prepare ourselves as best as possible to protect our women and children. This is best done by being as strong and fit as possible to accomplish the task. I applaud you for taking the steps to do that by strengthening your body.Keep that in mind as a priority as you advance into Crossfit. Its not just about the fun but about preparing yourself to deal with the ugly side of life in the event that you are ever faced with it . Best wishes.Guy

Signature 

M/ 57/ 6’/ 268   down from 272.5 lbs
F/51/ 4’11’’  Olypowergal

A comfort zone is a beautiful place but nothing ever grows there

Posted: 13 January 2014 09:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 52 ]
Pack Member
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  186
Joined  2014-01-13

First post.  Been using this for scaling since Jan-5; appreciate the help.

I used puppy scaling; flamed out on the last set of squats—only got 35/45 complete.  Using the points system, this is 140 points.  The results on the mainsite for this one were pretty humbling, but I got a good burn doing what I did, so I’ll call it a good WOD.

Signature 

35/m/6’2”/170

Posted: 13 January 2014 11:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 53 ]
Pack Member
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  187
Joined  2009-09-11

rest day

Posted: 13 January 2014 04:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 54 ]
Big Dawg
RankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  400
Joined  2010-10-13

“Cindy XXX”
Pack
Complete as much as possible in 15 minutes of:
10 Pullups
20 Pushups
30 Squats
15 Pullups
30 Pushups
45 Squats
20 Pullups
40 Pushups
60 Squats
25 Pullups
50 Pushups
75 Squats

B/I: HB 3/1x3

Reps: 286 (60 squats + 16 Pullups)

C/O: HB 3/1, 10 mins. of L-Sit practice

Signature 

You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake.

4 of 4