Third day on the Zone - need some guidance
Posted: 12 March 2014 06:18 AM   [ Ignore ]
Puppy Dawg
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2014-03-12

Hi.  I have a few questions on the zone diet.
I’m 35, 5’11” 172lbs.  I practice CF 5 days a week, with 2 of those days focused on strength.
For the past 5 weeks I’ve been eating paleo.  The first week or so was rough, cutting down on carbs and removing sugar.  Then I went to Vegas for work last week and fell off the wagon on a few meals.  When I came back, I started paleo zone.  I’m on my third day.  I’m eating a 16-17 block plan.

For breakfast, I’ve been eating 2 jumbo eggs + 2 strips of bacon (Protein), 1 cup of butternut squash + 1/2 banana (Carbs), and 1/2 a paleo biscuite (Fat).  About 15 minutes after eating, I feel super lethargic.  Big time brain fog and concentration is difficult.  Very tired, like I could fall asleep standing up.  I’m wondering what I’m doing wrong here.

Also, so far this seems like a LOT of carbs.  Seems like it steers you towards starches and fruit, or else you’re eating buckets of vegetables.  I still eat vegetables, but they don’t dent the require carbs by much.

Another question concerning the Zone, I used to make green juice every morning (apple, cucumber, kale, spinach, celery, carrot).  I’ve since stopped because I didn’t see where that fit in with the Zone.  Haven’t found much information about green juice and the Zone.  Any thoughts?

Posted: 13 March 2014 08:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  13288
Joined  2007-01-30

Hey friend:

Couple of suggestions and observations:

Carbs:  I found that what worked best for me was a mid point between the low carb veggies (6 cups broccoli! yay!) and a tangerine (one block yay!):

So, as many of the low value carbs as you can stand topped off with the sweet carbs (fruit, etc.)

This typically made my dinner look like a HAS (huge ass salad)...

Lethargy:  When you give up starchy carbs like bread and sugar, you feel like crap for a few days even up to a week or more.  This always goes away in my experience. 

Also from the zone book, Dr. Sears suggests that the lethargy can be because the carb blocks are too high for that meal or the protein blocks are too low (one or the other…)

Also, Your blocks may be a little low unless you think your body fat requires it. 

Green Juice:  If you can measure it, you can put it in as carb blocks.  I don’t know how you make it, but it’ll work if you play around with it.  I’ll top off my zone smoothie with spinach or kale sometimes making a green smoothie (looks gross!! tastes fine!!). 

There are other things tickling at the back of my mind and if I manage to recall them, I’ll let you know.  Otherwise I hope someone else will chime in.

TP

Signature 

The common denominator of success—- the secret of success of every man who has ever been successful—- lies in the fact that he formed the habit of doing things that failures don’t like to do.—Albert Grey

“Really Connor? Really?”—Jeff Martin

http://rantopedia.blogspot.com/ (my blog)
http://www.facebook.com/patrick.hoffman1

M-47/5’11”/180lbs

There’s a reason they don’t call it “Fight Gone Good”.

Posted: 13 March 2014 04:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Puppy Dawg
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2014-03-12

TP, thanks for the reply.
That’s probably a good approach with the carbs.  I just had a HAS for dinner, and finished things off with a small portion of apple sauce.  I have trouble getting the amount of carbs required for breakfast though.  Something unnatural about eating salad for breakfast.  So I’ve been making butternut squash hash to go with my eggs.  I think this is what is making me feel lethargic.  I went through the no-carb flu when I switched over to Paleo 5 weeks ago, but have moved passed it.  This lethargy is directly after the breakfast meal and then clears after an hour or two.

Good to know I have a little flexibility with Protein to Carb.  I was concerned that would throw off the magical combination of P/C/F.  I’ve been measuring everything and trying to really stick to it.  I probably need to get the Zone book.  I haven’t read it yet.

I’m definitely not worried about the fat.  I’m really lean.  A bit of a hard gainer.  The zone seems to be very restrictive on fat.  1 tsp of EVOO barely wets my HAS.  That being said, I’m not sure I could get another 4 blocks of carbs down (could do the P and F, easy).  I had a spaghetti squash dinner last night that could have fed a small village.

On the vegetable juice, I use a slow masticating juicer, meaning none of the fiber is left.  I had read somewhere that might cause a spike in BSL.  I would love to add it back in if it’s permisable.  I just don’t know how much would make up a block.  Also, the paleo biscuits I make are made with almond flour, so I’ve been counting them as a fat.  That allows me about 1/2 a biscuit in the mornings, which isn’t much.  Does that sound right?  Also, what is bacon ... protein or fat?  Or sausage?

Posted: 17 March 2014 07:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  13288
Joined  2007-01-30

Well, with regard to the juicer, I’d just assume you’re going to ingest the entire bit of green.  Look up the blocks for that amount and add that together.

Don’t get too hung up on the spiking this or that if you get your blocks right.  You’ll be able to tell by feel if it’s not quite right. 

Bacon is considered protein, but given the amount of fat in it, you’ll only get a small bit for a block.  Generally the zone will classify things as to their primary component, i.e., it ignores the fat in meat and chicken, assumes almonds are primarily fat, versus protein.  It’s not exact, but it’s good enough.

TP

Signature 

The common denominator of success—- the secret of success of every man who has ever been successful—- lies in the fact that he formed the habit of doing things that failures don’t like to do.—Albert Grey

“Really Connor? Really?”—Jeff Martin

http://rantopedia.blogspot.com/ (my blog)
http://www.facebook.com/patrick.hoffman1

M-47/5’11”/180lbs

There’s a reason they don’t call it “Fight Gone Good”.