RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  9880
Joined  2007-01-08

SUNDAY 140316

Ryan

5 rounds for time of:
7 muscle-ups
21 burpees

Each burpee terminates with a jump one foot above max standing reach.

Post time to comments.

Compare to 100930.

The mainpage of CrossFit directs new people here for help getting started. CF can be confusing enough for a newbie, we want to make it as easy as possible for them.  We ask you to be courteous and thoughtful of the newbies.

Answers to frequently asked questions can be found in the Beginners forum.

Signature 

Craig Massey

“The point of CF is to get better at life.  Being unable to workout tomorrow because you were pigheaded today is not in line with our goals.”
Garddawg - 22 March 2009

“CrossFit is not dangerous.
Bad coaching is dangerous, poor movement is dangerous. Ego is dangerous.
CrossFit, properly scaled to the individual is the safest and most efficient program available for strength, conditioning and movement.”
BlueBugofJustice - 18 August 2009

Posted: 15 March 2014 04:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  9880
Joined  2007-01-08

Last time out, GD scaled this as:

Garddawg - 29 September 2010 05:04 PM

Big Dawgs:
as Rx’d

The Porch:
Three rounds for time of:
7 Muscle-ups
21 Burpees

Post time to comments.

Each burpee terminates with a jump one foot above max standing reach.

Pack:
Five rounds for time of:
5 Seated Muscle-ups (or progression of your choosing)
15 Burpees

Puppies:
Three rounds for time of:
5 Seated or Squat Muscle-ups (or progression of your choosing)
12 Burpees

Signature 

Craig Massey

“The point of CF is to get better at life.  Being unable to workout tomorrow because you were pigheaded today is not in line with our goals.”
Garddawg - 22 March 2009

“CrossFit is not dangerous.
Bad coaching is dangerous, poor movement is dangerous. Ego is dangerous.
CrossFit, properly scaled to the individual is the safest and most efficient program available for strength, conditioning and movement.”
BlueBugofJustice - 18 August 2009

Posted: 15 March 2014 05:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Boxer
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  523
Joined  2010-12-07

Squat x5-135, 185, 225x5x3
Shoulder Press x5-65, 85, 95x5x3
Deadlift x5- 135, 225, 315x5x3

Signature 

M/26/5’9”/185

Posted: 15 March 2014 08:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Top Dawg
Total Posts:  3613
Joined  2013-07-26
karatejones - 15 March 2014 05:30 PM

Squat x5-135, 185, 225x5x3
Shoulder Press x5-65, 85, 95x5x3
Deadlift x5- 135, 225, 315x5x3

Hope the training is going as planned.looking forward to the outcome.Take care Karate

Signature 

M/ 57/ 72.5”/ 265
F /52/ 59’’ /173 Olypowergal

The eyes of the arrogant will be humbled and human pride brought low; The Lord alone will be exalted in that day. Isaiah 2:11

Posted: 16 March 2014 06:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Big Dawg
RankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  338
Joined  2012-10-15

Rest day today. Holy hell is my posterior sore from 14.3 yesterday, and yet I feel guilty about taking a day off. Why is it that on days I know I need to take off I really want to work out?

Signature 

M 42/5’9”/180#/ CFBD 10-11-2012

Posted: 16 March 2014 06:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Top Dawg
Joined  2013-07-26
TriggerT - 16 March 2014 06:02 AM

Rest day today. Holy hell is my posterior sore from 14.3 yesterday, and yet I feel guilty about taking a day off. Why is it that on days I know I need to take off I really want to work out?

Not surprised everything is worked, Good job on 108 reps not a bad showing, I liked the video. If you watch yourself on your lighter weight deadlifts you weren’t pushing the hips thru on the deadlift, that and a lot of lower back instead of leg drive. But on the 275 reps you were pushing the hips thru and leaning back which looked good . Sorry If I sound critical, It comes from years of being a Powerlifting Referee. Overall that was one heck of an effort Trigger, I thought you made a wise choice on step ups since Deadlifts tax the legs so much, easy to miss box jumps and hurt oneself. Good job. Enjoy the rest day you earned it. wink
http://vimeo.com/78162690 this what I mean by hips forward pushing thru and leaning back

Signature 

M/ 57/ 72.5”/ 265

The eyes of the arrogant will be humbled and human pride brought low; The Lord alone will be exalted in that day. Isaiah 2:11

Posted: 16 March 2014 06:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Big Dawg
Total Posts:  365
Joined  2010-11-20

Pack:
Five rounds for time of:
5 Bar Muscle-ups
15 Burpees

01:51/02:44/2:34/2:40/2:53

Total 12:43

I end up getting my left arm over the bar first, imediately followed by my right. Not sure how to Get rid of it or how it would translate to rings.

$-out: 30 min light jog

Signature 

M/34/1.84m/81kg
CF DOB - August 2010/Rebirth May 2012

“I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, then questions the manner in which I provide it.”

Posted: 16 March 2014 07:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Big Dawg
Total Posts:  338
Joined  2012-10-15
OPG57 - 16 March 2014 06:29 AM

Not surprised everything is worked, Good job on 108 reps not a bad showing, I liked the video. If you watch yourself on your lighter weight deadlifts you weren’t pushing the hips thru on the deadlift, that and a lot of lower back instead of leg drive. But on the 275 reps you were pushing the hips thru and leaning back which looked good . Sorry If I sound critical, It comes from years of being a Powerlifting Referee. Overall that was one heck of an effort Trigger, I thought you made a wise choice on step ups since Deadlifts tax the legs so much, easy to miss box jumps and hurt oneself. Good job. Enjoy the rest day you earned it. wink
http://vimeo.com/78162690 this what I mean by hips forward pushing thru and leaning back

Not critical sounding at all. Not following through with my hips was ONE of the things I noticed when I went back and watched the video. Like I said, not only disappointed with the total number of reps, but more so with lack of good form. Need to engage my upper back a lot more. I will say I am NOT a fan of high rep, heavy lifts, under a time constraint. I feel it is just asking for bad form, which leads to injury.Of course, 275# dead lifts are also not heavy for some people, so like so many things in Crossfit, you have to take responsibility for yourself.

Signature 

M 42/5’9”/180#/ CFBD 10-11-2012

Posted: 16 March 2014 08:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Top Dawg
Joined  2013-07-26
TriggerT - 16 March 2014 07:41 AM
OPG57 - 16 March 2014 06:29 AM

Not critical sounding at all. Not following through with my hips was ONE of the things I noticed when I went back and watched the video. Like I said, not only disappointed with the total number of reps, but more so with lack of good form. Need to engage my upper back a lot more. I will say I am NOT a fan of high rep, heavy lifts, under a time constraint. I feel it is just asking for bad form, which leads to injury.Of course, 275# dead lifts are also not heavy for some people, so like so many things in Crossfit, you have to take responsibility for yourself.

Thanks for taking it in the spirit is was intended, You are the type of guy who is likely not to get injured because you can take constructive criticism. Pride will ruin a perfectly good body almost everytime. You are correct about high rep Deadlifts or just about anything taxing ones body to the point of exhaustion making good form impossible especially with a Time element involved. You look like you paced yourself well so more reps were unlikely unless you lapsed into questionable sloppy form to gain a higher rep count. I would still say you made a good showing. You Did the reps and weight changes with minimal rests. I wish more people would Video as you did and allow themselves to be examined for form flaws. Videos are for teaching in my opinion not to show off, Granted we all want to do that if we did something noteworthy. For the most part you had a good routine that was better than most. Good job Tim

Signature 

M/ 57/ 72.5”/ 265

Posted: 16 March 2014 08:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Hound
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  97
Joined  2013-05-02

Ryan (pack w/ band)

Five rounds for time:

5 x Bar Muscle-ups w/ purple band
  15 x Burpees

Time: 0:25:05

Signature 

http://sockmonkeyx.wordpress.com/about/

Posted: 16 March 2014 08:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Top Dawg
Total Posts:  891
Joined  2011-07-07

AM, at the station…
Complete as many reps as possible in 8 minutes of:
135-lb. deadlifts, 10 reps
15 box jumps, 24-inch
185-lb. deadlifts, 15 reps
15 box jumps, 24-inch
225-lb. deadlifts, 20 reps
15 box jumps, 24-inch
275-lb. deadlifts, 25 reps

101 (11 reps at 275)

Smoked! All box jumps were step ups. Deadlifts were 10, then 10-5, then 5-5-5-5, then 4-4-3. Happy with result considering I haven’t deadlifted heavy in a few weeks, was shooting for 100. Got to 275 at 6:02.

In
500m C2 row, and
2 rounds
50 single unders
5 deadlifts 135
15 double unders

Signature 

M / 30 / 185# (84K) / 6’1 (185cm)
Crossfit DOB: 2/1/2011
2014 Goals

“Fear not, for I am with you;
    Be not dismayed, for I am your God.
    I will strengthen you. Yes, I will help you,
    I will uphold you with My righteous right hand.”
              -Isaiah 41:10

Posted: 16 March 2014 09:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Hound
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  97
Joined  2013-05-02
Magnus - 16 March 2014 06:46 AM

I end up getting my left arm over the bar first, imediately followed by my right. Not sure how to Get rid of it or how it would translate to rings.

I’m the last person who should be giving advice on this (I’m doing bar MUs with a purple band right now), but I’ve been having the same problem and I had a bit of a breakthrough today.

My right arm has been first over, and since that’s my dominant arm, I thought it was a strength thing. I think it might actually be a mobility thing, though. My right arm is slightly more flexible when it comes to external rotation (though still not that great—I have desk jockey shoulders), so the right gets into a stronger position first for the push part of the MU. My left arm stays stuck in forward rotation unless I really consciously work it. If I don’t, I’m basically twisting my body toward the good arm to take advantage of the more powerfully positioned (externally-rotated) shoulder. Torquing like this also accentuates the forward rotation of my left shoulder, which makes it pretty much useless in comparison to the right until I’m high enough to lock out my elbows.

Kelly Starrett and Carl Paoli have a really great ring dips video that goes over “external rotation.” I didn’t even understand that phrase until I watched the video: http://journal.crossfit.com/2011/09/theposition7ringdips.tpl

With the bar, I don’t think there’s as much feedback when you’re not externally rotated in an MU, since the bar doesn’t pivot like the rings do. When Starrett talks about external rotation in other bar contexts (like overhead presses), he usually cues it by saying to imagine that you are trying to “break the bar.” That cue was working somewhat for me for the MUs, although I think I just need to do more shoulder mobility work too. (MobilityWOD website and YouTube channel and “Becoming a Supple Leopard” book are good for these).

Signature 

http://sockmonkeyx.wordpress.com/about/

Posted: 16 March 2014 09:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Top Dawg
Joined  2013-07-26
dannyrod - 16 March 2014 08:58 AM

Complete as many reps as possible in 8 minutes of:
135-lb. deadlifts, 10 reps
15 box jumps, 24-inch
185-lb. deadlifts, 15 reps
15 box jumps, 24-inch
225-lb. deadlifts, 20 reps
15 box jumps, 24-inch
275-lb. deadlifts, 25 reps

101 (11 reps at 275)

Smoked! All box jumps were step ups. Deadlifts were 10, then 10-5, then 5-5-5-5, then 4-4-3. Happy with result considering I haven’t deadlifted heavy in a few weeks, was shooting for 100. Got to 275 at 6:02.

In
500m C2 row, and
2 rounds
50 single unders
5 deadlifts 135
15 double unders

Great Job Danny.  grin

Signature 

M/ 57/ 72.5”/ 265

Posted: 16 March 2014 09:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Big Dawg
Total Posts:  365
Joined  2010-11-20
Jeff Lawshe - 16 March 2014 09:04 AM
Magnus - 16 March 2014 06:46 AM

I’m the last person who should be giving advice on this (I’m doing bar MUs with a purple band right now), but I’ve been having the same problem and I had a bit of a breakthrough today.

My right arm has been first over, and since that’s my dominant arm, I thought it was a strength thing. I think it might actually be a mobility thing, though. My right arm is slightly more flexible when it comes to external rotation (though still not that great—I have desk jockey shoulders), so the right gets into a stronger position first for the push part of the MU. My left arm stays stuck in forward rotation unless I really consciously work it. If I don’t, I’m basically twisting my body toward the good arm to take advantage of the more powerfully positioned (externally-rotated) shoulder. Torquing like this also accentuates the forward rotation of my left shoulder, which makes it pretty much useless in comparison to the right until I’m high enough to lock out my elbows.

Kelly Starrett and Carl Paoli have a really great ring dips video that goes over “external rotation.” I didn’t even understand that phrase until I watched the video: http://journal.crossfit.com/2011/09/theposition7ringdips.tpl

With the bar, I don’t think there’s as much feedback when you’re not externally rotated in an MU, since the bar doesn’t pivot like the rings do. When Starrett talks about external rotation in other bar contexts (like overhead presses), he usually cues it by saying to imagine that you are trying to “break the bar.” That cue was working somewhat for me for the MUs, although I think I just need to do more shoulder mobility work too. (MobilityWOD website and YouTube channel and “Becoming a Supple Leopard” book are good for these).

Thanks for the input Jeff!

I think you might have a good point regarding shoulder mobility, mine are/is horrendous. Have been doing some work on my shoulders, but know i nede to do more. Ill revisit the link you sent as well as your recomendations conderning Staret.

AS a PS its interesting to note that my right arm/hand is the dominant one, so i figured that it should be the first one over. It might be a subconcious efffort to “Protect” my right shoulder as i had some issues with it some time back.

Signature 

M/34/1.84m/81kg
CF DOB - August 2010/Rebirth May 2012

“I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, then questions the manner in which I provide it.”

Posted: 16 March 2014 09:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Top Dawg
Total Posts:  891
Joined  2011-07-07

Lunchtime, at the station…
21-15-9-9
Thrusters 45#
Burpees
T2B
*200m run after each round

18:39

Signature 

M / 30 / 185# (84K) / 6’1 (185cm)
Crossfit DOB: 2/1/2011
2014 Goals

“Fear not, for I am with you;
    Be not dismayed, for I am your God.
    I will strengthen you. Yes, I will help you,
    I will uphold you with My righteous right hand.”
              -Isaiah 41:10

Posted: 16 March 2014 09:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Boxer
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  700
Joined  2011-08-28

Pack:
Five rounds for time of:
5 Seated Muscle-ups
15 Burpees

Time:10:50

My normal targets for measuring height of jumps with burpees are still inaccessible due to snow, so burpees done with a significant jump, but not measured.  Seated muscle ups done with rings just at reach while seated, heals down through the transition, then unassisted for the dip, first rd unbroken, then 3-2 for remaining rds.

Signature 

M 52/5’10”/180

1 of 4