SATURDAY 140329

Zimmerman

Complete as many rounds as possible in 25 minutes of:
11 chest-to-bar pull-ups
2 deadlifts, 315 lb.
10 handstand push-ups

Post rounds completed to comments.

Compare to 120225.

The mainpage of CrossFit directs new people here for help getting started.
CF can be confusing enough for a newbie, we want to make it as easy as possible for them.  We ask you to be courteous and thoughtful of the newbies.

Answers to frequently asked questions can be found in the Beginners forum.

Signature 

Craig Massey

“The point of CF is to get better at life.  Being unable to workout tomorrow because you were pigheaded today is not in line with our goals.”
Garddawg - 22 March 2009

“CrossFit is not dangerous.
Bad coaching is dangerous, poor movement is dangerous. Ego is dangerous.
CrossFit, properly scaled to the individual is the safest and most efficient program available for strength, conditioning and movement.”
BlueBugofJustice - 18 August 2009

Posted: 28 March 2014 09:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  9878
Joined  2007-01-08

Last time out, GD scaled this as:

Garddawg - 24 February 2012 08:40 PM

Big Dawgs
as Rx’d

Women- 245

Pack
Complete as many rounds as possible in 20 minutes of:
11 Pull-ups
2 Deadlifts, 225 pounds
10 Handstand push-ups

Women - 135

Puppies
Complete as many rounds as possible in 15 minutes of:
8 Pull-ups or 15 Beginner or assisted pull ups
2 Deadlifts, 65-85 pounds
5 Handstand push-ups or 10 HSPU progressions

Buttercups
Complete as many rounds as possible in 15 minutes of:
8 Beginner or assisted pull ups
2 Deadlifts, 25-45 pounds
5 HSPU progressions

Signature 

Craig Massey

“The point of CF is to get better at life.  Being unable to workout tomorrow because you were pigheaded today is not in line with our goals.”
Garddawg - 22 March 2009

“CrossFit is not dangerous.
Bad coaching is dangerous, poor movement is dangerous. Ego is dangerous.
CrossFit, properly scaled to the individual is the safest and most efficient program available for strength, conditioning and movement.”
BlueBugofJustice - 18 August 2009

Posted: 28 March 2014 09:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Terrier
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  68
Joined  2014-03-27

As a very new, super-scaling beginner who can’t get anywhere close to Rx yet, would it be better for me to go with very light weights (or no weights) so that I can do more rounds, or slightly heavier (having to go slower but nowhere near maxing it) and settle for fewer rounds?  If I go with the higher weights, is it ok to use a pair of dumbbells in place of the barbell?  (My barbell weighs 10lb, and this particular one doesn’t take plates.)

Am I right that the most important thing (besides correct form) is completing the 15 minutes (for Buttercup level)?

Signature 

CF Start date:  March 28, 2014
F/53/5’6”/225 216 204 201
(goal: 125-130lb)

Posted: 29 March 2014 01:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Big Dawg
RankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  318
Joined  2012-12-23

Good morning Rosie! I was in your chair not so long ago or far away - as the owner of a soft upper body, there are things that I struggled with (and some I still struggle with - see push-ups, burpees, etc). Definitely, scale to what you need to scale to - but be sure to leave enough weight to where you feel it for a short while afterwards (but no more than a couple of hours). You want to make sure that you’re selling out without selling yourself short.

That having been said, the results are what they are. I have taken to posting my results without looking at anyone else’s results first. Because of the things I struggle with, sometimes I just don’t want to know until after I’m done. Scaling to puppies 99% of the time, I end up with some pretty unpredictable results - sometimes I beat the world, sometimes it beats me. I want to fairly record how I feel about a result without being influenced by the other results.

Finally, congratulations for taking up CF at your age & size. This stuff works. I’ve lost nearly 40 pounds & kept it off doing this while adding muscle mass. Also, let me tell you that literally anyone can do this with the right scaling. You’re doing well in this area so far, to be sure…and I know literally anyone can do it, because a friend in the Jaycees shows up in internet pictures doing CF, and he weighs around 450-500 pounds, give or take. Keep putting in the work, scale to what you need to, don’t worry about your results, and you’ll be just fine. grin

rosie - 28 March 2014 09:30 PM

As a very new, super-scaling beginner who can’t get anywhere close to Rx yet, would it be better for me to go with very light weights (or no weights) so that I can do more rounds, or slightly heavier (having to go slower but nowhere near maxing it) and settle for fewer rounds?  If I go with the higher weights, is it ok to use a pair of dumbbells in place of the barbell?  (My barbell weighs 10lb, and this particular one doesn’t take plates.)

Am I right that the most important thing (besides correct form) is completing the 15 minutes (for Buttercup level)?

Signature 

M/41/5’10”/190 180
Mostly using CrossFit to tone softer parts of my body, not develop muscle mass…
Start date: 12/16/2012. Started at 210#. Still a pup for now, but hoping to move up soon!

Posted: 29 March 2014 01:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Big Dawg
RankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  356
Joined  2008-09-13

Good morning all!!!

So, after reading through the last couple of days’ posts, something OPG said struck me in the forehead…“Don’t forget to take time to rest..” or words to that effect.  While I have missed a WOD here and there, I haven’t taken a full 3 day cycle off since starting back up in November…which, when combined with regular 14+ hour days 7 days a week probably has something to do with 95# being so d*&$ heavy on the push press the other day!

So, I have decided to take three full days off.  Today, tomorrow (Sunday), and Monday.  I will be back at it on Tuesday, and hopefully the break will let me recharge and be better able to get at it!  I was going to just work on skills, but I know if I go into the gym, I will most likely want to lift a weight, and if I lift a weight, I will most likely want to do some reps, and then I will be into a WOD and there goes the rest! So, I have committed to no gym, just some pushups and crunches throughout the day to keep the blood flowing….

Have a good weekend all!!

Signature 

” Damn Top, for an ‘old’ guy, you move pretty good!!”

M/42 yo/6’3”/219 214 lbs (looking to get to 205!!)

Posted: 29 March 2014 02:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Boxer
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  605
Joined  2011-10-24

Figured if I don’t get three bars to myself on a Saturday morning, I will never get them. The plan worked.

wu
~1K jogging, setting up & trying a few reps for the wod

wod

TUESDAY 140325

Linda

10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1 reps for time of:
1 1/2 body-weight deadlift
Body-weight bench press
3/4 body-weight clean

Set up three bars and storm through for time.

Post time to comments.

Compare to 130905.

pack
Drop the sets doing 10-8-6-4-2 with the rx’d weights.
That translated into: 105kg deadlift, 70kg bench, 52.5kg cleans

time
11:58

Unbroken deadlifts and cleans, bench is heavily broken: 4-3-3 first round, 2-2-2-... the rest. I guess I can start benching a bit more. Definitely a weakness for Linda.

$o
3min t-spine foam roll
3min each split: middle, side, side, pancake

Signature 

M/47/5’10”/160

Posted: 29 March 2014 06:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Top Dawg
Total Posts:  3591
Joined  2013-07-26
TopMac - 29 March 2014 01:47 AM

Good morning all!!!

So, after reading through the last couple of days’ posts, something OPG said struck me in the forehead…“Don’t forget to take time to rest..” or words to that effect.  While I have missed a WOD here and there, I haven’t taken a full 3 day cycle off since starting back up in November…which, when combined with regular 14+ hour days 7 days a week probably has something to do with 95# being so d*&$ heavy on the push press the other day!

So, I have decided to take three full days off.  Today, tomorrow (Sunday), and Monday.  I will be back at it on Tuesday, and hopefully the break will let me recharge and be better able to get at it!  I was going to just work on skills, but I know if I go into the gym, I will most likely want to lift a weight, and if I lift a weight, I will most likely want to do some reps, and then I will be into a WOD and there goes the rest! So, I have committed to no gym, just some pushups and crunches throughout the day to keep the blood flowing….

Good call Top,Rest is the secret to gains. that’s why Powerlifters only lift 3 days a week ,some 4 if they do a light assistance day for bench, otherwise 1 day a week on Squat ,Deadlift Bench is all one needs to make good gains. Crossfit over does it at times where the legs get blasted 3 days in a row and theres no time for adequate recovery, If you watch posts of the people who have been doing it a long time you will see they pick and choose or create there own WODs and will do scheduled structured strength training to make gains in a particular discipline and get needed recovery time to avoid overtraining.3 days on 1 off is to demanding in my opinion.2 on 1 off for younger fit people.  1 on 1 off for older folks is more realistic .People need a life also to avoid the inevitable burnout. I like 8 week cycles where one focuses on small gains on targeted Movements which lead to big gains over a 1 year cycle . 1 week off at the end of each cycle with no workouts is Mandatory . Enjoy the rest Chris wink

Signature 

M/ 57/ 72.5”/ 265
F /52/ 59’’ /173 Olypowergal

The eyes of the arrogant will be humbled and human pride brought low; The Lord alone will be exalted in that day. Isaiah 2:11

Posted: 29 March 2014 06:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Hound
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  82
Joined  2014-01-25

Took a couple days off as well after some good advice from OPG. One and a half more weeks till medical restrictions lifted and I can slowly start the process of increasing the weight again.

CFWU. Light

3 rounds for time of:
Run 800 meters
Rest 2 minutes

Total time 18:40

4:55
4:50
4:42

Posted: 29 March 2014 06:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Top Dawg
Total Posts:  3591
Joined  2013-07-26
Pigeonman - 29 March 2014 06:22 AM

Took a couple days off as well after some good advice from OPG. One and a half more weeks till medical restrictions lifted and I can slowly start the process of increasing the weight again.

CFWU. Light

3 rounds for time of:
Run 800 meters
Rest 2 minutes

Total time 18:40

4:55
4:50
4:42

Thanks Pigeonman for the kind words, Good luck on the training.

Signature 

M/ 57/ 72.5”/ 265
F /52/ 59’’ /173 Olypowergal

The eyes of the arrogant will be humbled and human pride brought low; The Lord alone will be exalted in that day. Isaiah 2:11

Posted: 29 March 2014 07:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Top Dawg
Total Posts:  973
Joined  2010-08-25

Warm up: 3x (250m row, 10 push ups, 10 sit ups)

WOD 140325 Linda
10-9-8….1 of:
DL 100kg (125% bodyweight),
Bench press 65kg (81% bodyweight),
Clean 60kg (75% bodyweight)
Time:23:46

Signature 

M/47/80kg

Posted: 29 March 2014 07:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  14142
Joined  2004-06-18

Thanks JDG for the push. 

18:34

Signature 

All of life’s problems can be solved by heavy deadlifts.

M/54/5’11”/190

Posted: 29 March 2014 08:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Top Dawg
Total Posts:  947
Joined  2009-10-30

Good morning all!!!

Smart man (smarter than me!)! Relish the rest - I know your body, and mind, will.

Signature 

M/56/5’10”/212

Lay on, Macduff, And damn’d be him that first cries, “Hold, enough!”

Posted: 29 March 2014 08:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Top Dawg
Joined  2009-10-30
MNtiger73 - 29 March 2014 01:20 AM

Good morning Rosie! I was in your chair not so long ago or far away - as the owner of a soft upper body, there are things that I struggled with (and some I still struggle with - see push-ups, burpees, etc). Definitely, scale to what you need to scale to - but be sure to leave enough weight to where you feel it for a short while afterwards (but no more than a couple of hours). You want to make sure that you’re selling out without selling yourself short.

That having been said, the results are what they are. I have taken to posting my results without looking at anyone else’s results first. Because of the things I struggle with, sometimes I just don’t want to know until after I’m done. Scaling to puppies 99% of the time, I end up with some pretty unpredictable results - sometimes I beat the world, sometimes it beats me. I want to fairly record how I feel about a result without being influenced by the other results.

Finally, congratulations for taking up CF at your age & size. This stuff works. I’ve lost nearly 40 pounds & kept it off doing this while adding muscle mass. Also, let me tell you that literally anyone can do this with the right scaling. You’re doing well in this area so far, to be sure…and I know literally anyone can do it, because a friend in the Jaycees shows up in internet pictures doing CF, and he weighs around 450-500 pounds, give or take. Keep putting in the work, scale to what you need to, don’t worry about your results, and you’ll be just fine. grin

rosie - 28 March 2014 09:30 PM

I echo Tiger’s words of wisdom, Rosie. Welcome to Crossfit.

Signature 

M/56/5’10”/212

Posted: 29 March 2014 08:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Top Dawg
Joined  2009-10-30
OPG57 - 29 March 2014 06:06 AM

Good morning all!!!

Good call Top,Rest is the secret to gains. that’s why Powerlifters only lift 3 days a week ,some 4 if they do a light assistance day for bench, otherwise 1 day a week on Squat ,Deadlift Bench is all one needs to make good gains. Crossfit over does it at times where the legs get blasted 3 days in a row and theres no time for adequate recovery, If you watch posts of the people who have been doing it a long time you will see they pick and choose or create there own WODs and will do scheduled structured strength training to make gains in a particular discipline and get needed recovery time to avoid overtraining.3 days on 1 off is to demanding in my opinion.2 on 1 off for younger fit people.  1 on 1 off for older folks is more realistic .People need a life also to avoid the inevitable burnout. I like 8 week cycles where one focuses on small gains on targeted Movements which lead to big gains over a 1 year cycle . 1 week off at the end of each cycle with no workouts is Mandatory . Enjoy the rest Chris wink

Yeah. What that guy, Guy says, yo!

Signature 

M/56/5’10”/212

Posted: 29 March 2014 09:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Pack Member
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  246
Joined  2014-02-16

Hi Rosie,  I’m also new being a couple of months into this crazy crossfit thing, the only thing I would add is to get plenty of time on your nutrition,  I’ve gone from vegetarian to full paleo and am really feeling better for it.

A poster on line sumed it up for me when it showed a guy really struggling and looking as bad as I feel in most WOD’s,  and the caption read
“No matter how slow your going you are overtaking everyone on the couch!”

Good luck and well done for getting on this site these guys will help

Mark

Signature 

M-43-5.11”-224 lb back to paleo again, still lower than my constant high of 260lb two years ago

GETTING BETTER

Posted: 29 March 2014 09:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Terrier
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  68
Joined  2014-03-27

My second CF workout is in the books!

Modified CF Warm-up:
10 second Sampson stretch
5 overhead squat with portable shower bar (can’t get all the way down yet, due to weight, lack of flexibility, and old knee injury)
10 shoulder lifts (beginning of military situp but just getting shoulders off the ground)
10 back extensions (on the floor, getting chest and lower legs off the ground)
skipped pullups and dips due to pullups in today’s WOD

Workout (Zimmerman):
11 rounds in 15 minutes of:
8 “baby pulls”  (pullup bar, pulling myself from standing flat-foot to toes using only arms)
2 deadlifts, 10lb barbell
8 “baby HPSU” (upper-body pushup, knees resting on a 4” stepstool)—I misremembered the “Buttercup” level and though it was 8 instead of 5

I was a little sore from yesterday’s workout (mainly under the arms from the pullups), but not unreasonably so.  I went with the 10lbs on the deadlift (having never done a deadlift before), but I could easily have gone heavier if I had had it available.  Maybe a pair of dumbbells next time?

I think I invented a new level of scaling below Buttercup:  “Baby”.  LOL!

Signature 

CF Start date:  March 28, 2014
F/53/5’6”/225 216 204 201
(goal: 125-130lb)

1 of 4