Back squat form check.
Posted: 31 March 2014 08:25 PM   [ Ignore ]
Puppy Dawg
Rank
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2014-03-31

The weight is 385 lbs, curious on how good my form is.

I think the idea of digital coaching is an amazing idea so figured why not give it try.

Any comments and critiquing will be great help, thank you!!

Also sorry for the prolonged lift off haha.

Signature 

Male
5’6

Posted: 02 April 2014 04:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  13217
Joined  2007-01-30

Hey,

Couple observations:

First, awesome work.  You’re plenty strong.

I see three things you may want to consider:

1) Depth…a couple questionable reps.  Now, it may be camera angle, but it looks like you’re skirting with parallel (hip crease below the knee), with a rep or two high.
2) BBF…butt back first.  It doesn’t look like you initiate the movement with your hips going back first, loading your hamstrings (this will help with the depth issue because you can use the hamstring tension to “bounce” out of the hole at the bottom). 
3) Neck position: you’re looking UP which some (Rippetoe for instance) feels prevents locking the spine down in an entire tight chain. 

That said, I’d like OPG57 to weigh in as he’s coached these movements and this is his area of expertise.

As I mentioned, these are little things that will cause you to reap greater rewards going forward. 

TP

Signature 

The common denominator of success—- the secret of success of every man who has ever been successful—- lies in the fact that he formed the habit of doing things that failures don’t like to do.—Albert Grey

“Really Connor? Really?”—Jeff Martin

http://rantopedia.blogspot.com/ (my blog)
http://www.facebook.com/patrick.hoffman1

M-47/5’11”/180lbs

There’s a reason they don’t call it “Fight Gone Good”.

Posted: 03 April 2014 09:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Top Dawg
Total Posts:  3089
Joined  2013-07-26
FarmerFran - 31 March 2014 08:25 PM

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzOOAsNFoTk[/youtube]

The weight is 385 lbs, curious on how good my form is.

I think the idea of digital coaching is an amazing idea so figured why not give it try.

Any comments and critiquing will be great help, thank you!!

Also sorry for the prolonged lift off haha.

Great strength potential, Since you are so young you should consider powerlifting. You are built for it. 5’6” 180 is a good weight for putting on more size even in to the 200s. OK based on your form I see you you don’t go below parallel , The things Patrick noted were good calls. Before I get started heres some examples of me and my wife Powerlifting to give you some idea.  http://vimeo.com/78951117  second one was tough on her   http://vimeo.com/74465195  We are both wearing loose suits and wraps on these lifts.  The idea is to sit back into the squat.  heres one of the wife in competition http://vimeo.com/78953983 .  Heres one of me training raw using the box with 385 x 1.You look strong but your depth needs work. which means you need to drop[ the weight down to low 200s and work some box squat training. taking your time and focusing on form . I would start using a 12” box for starters working on sitting back. just touching the box lightly. don’t sit on it. just touch and go. 12 ” is just a starter since you will still be above parallel given your height. I think 10” would be a good height for you to be well below parallel. Here’s another video of the form where I’m wearing a suit . notice how deep I’m going.  http://vimeo.com/81416983.  Patrick also pointed out video taping and setting the camera at a low side angle so you can watch your form at the proper angle.  Set camera at 16-18 ” above floor on tripod . use video camera not phone if possible .  Just some background on me . I started Powerlifting in 1980. I trained My Wife to 2 National and World Championship Drug Free titles with multiple world and National records. I have also trained at least 30 other athletes .I was also a state and National level Powerlifting referee for about 6 years. Just wanted to let you know where I’m coming from. If you want to check out our lifting. look at my Vimeo account everything will start with OPG57, Like I said you have a lot of potential given your size and age. Good luck to you. 

Sorry I forgot to explain what below parallel means   when you are at the bottom position of a Squat the top of your thigh and the floor are parallel planes .You need to break that plane by your hip joint being below the top of your knee for a squat to be good in competition.

Signature 

M/ 57/ 6’/ 268   down from 272.5 lbs
F/51/ 4’11’’  Olypowergal

A comfort zone is a beautiful place but nothing ever grows there

Posted: 04 April 2014 10:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Puppy Dawg
Rank
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2014-03-31

Thank you both for commenting back first off, I appreciate at it greatly.

After watching my video after your notes I can tell that I am going down with my hamstrings first and not engaging my butt first. I’ve never attempted box squat training so I’m going to give that a shot tomorrow and start with the 12 ” box. These tips were exactly what I was looking for.

I know Its not in the video but lately when I have been squatting my ankle is starting to cave in. When this happens I immediately deload the weight. Any tips on how to prevent this? It usually only occurs at 350 and up.

Thank you both again for replying!

Signature 

Male
5’6

Posted: 04 April 2014 11:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Top Dawg
Joined  2013-07-26
FarmerFran - 04 April 2014 10:40 AM

After watching my video after your notes I can tell that I am going down with my hamstrings first and not engaging my butt first. I’ve never attempted box squat training so I’m going to give that a shot tomorrow and start with the 12 ” box. These tips were exactly what I was looking for.

I know Its not in the video but lately when I have been squatting my ankle is starting to cave in. When this happens I immediately deload the weight. Any tips on how to prevent this? It usually only occurs at 350 and up.

Your Welcome, When you start on the Box , get a feel for it with no weight or a broom stick. The idea is to sit back leading with the butt. keep your knees pointing out . You probably noticed that my wife and I use fairly wide stances . This requires a little more flexibility in the inner thighs so stretching the region during warm ups is a good idea. You look like you have a strong core on the set of 385 so you should do well with this style of squat. As far as your ankle collapsing over 350 ,Do you have flat feet? I do myself so I have a inward lean on both feet. Are you using Olympic shoes? If not They have a very solid platform and help get rid of some at that inward lean the leads to the collapse I think your referring too.  Heres a Video I made to explain the training on the box squat and working the sit back.  http://vimeo.com/81277500  Good luck to you FarmerFran.

Here’s an example of Box squats being utilized   doing todays WOD. Back Squats 3-3-3-3-3   I’m using the box as a depth indicator http://vimeo.com/91081508  Hope it helps. I am wearing knee sleeves under my sweats and using a quick release Power belt. I am also wearing my Olympic lifting shoes for there solid support characteristics that I spoke of.  Good Luck wink

Signature 

Posted: 11 April 2014 09:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Boxer
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  593
Joined  2012-05-16
OPG57 - 04 April 2014 11:04 AM

Your Welcome, When you start on the Box , get a feel for it with no weight or a broom stick. The idea is to sit back leading with the butt. keep your knees pointing out . You probably noticed that my wife and I use fairly wide stances . This requires a little more flexibility in the inner thighs so stretching the region during warm ups is a good idea. You look like you have a strong core on the set of 385 so you should do well with this style of squat. As far as your ankle collapsing over 350 ,Do you have flat feet? I do myself so I have a inward lean on both feet. Are you using Olympic shoes? If not They have a very solid platform and help get rid of some at that inward lean the leads to the collapse I think your referring too.  Heres a Video I made to explain the training on the box squat and working the sit back.  http://vimeo.com/81277500  Good luck to you FarmerFran.

Here’s an example of Box squats being utilized   doing todays WOD. Back Squats 3-3-3-3-3   I’m using the box as a depth indicator http://vimeo.com/91081508  Hope it helps. I am wearing knee sleeves under my sweats and using a quick release Power belt. I am also wearing my Olympic lifting shoes for there solid support characteristics that I spoke of.  Good Luck wink

Very interesting stuff OPG but I’d like to get your thoughts on a few things. My dad was a power lifter in college and high school back in the late 60’s and early 70’s. (his DL was in the 950 range)  A couple weeks ago he was in town and happened to come outside to watch me lift. Let’s just say his opinions on proper form where quite different from the advice I’ve been given since starting CF two years ago. Starting with the DL he wanted me to roll my hips first under the bar and then stand up, looking straight up and really over extending the back at the top of the movement. This felt very strange and had my butt/hips very low when starting the lift.

He then suggested I squat with a 2x4 under my feet as to get my weight on my toes. Not gonna lie, the 2x4 thing felt good cause I have very tight lower body muscles and this by passed those issues. I have been taught to use a low heel shoe, start the squat with your hips first, and keep your weight in the middle of your foot. I don’t have quite as wide as a stance as the one you use, but it’s fairly wide.

I was frustrated at first cause it felt like once again I had to restart my DL cause what I had been doing, to my dad, was all wrong. So of course I went back to the only resource I have which is DL CF demos and then check that with my own form. I’ve used these two videos on how to do a good DL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gnjwx7Zx4T4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvlZrkssHxA

I won’t try and use technical language but I start with the chest and hips rising together and once i get to about the knees I squeeze my butt and thrust the hips open. I try and keep my back/core straight/tight and avoid looking straight in the air. This seems to be the advice I’ve been given by CF guys and those who have been competitive lifting in the last 20-30 years. My dad, god love him, just lifted in a different time when form, I guess, was different.

Thoughts?

Signature 

M/32/6’2’‘/245# :( up from 225 a year ago.

Compare to 330# in 2009

Warm up: two rounds of 10 air squats, 1 min hamstring stretch, 10 push-ups, 5 pull ups, 5 dips, 10 deep squats holding on to a poll for perfect form, 10 sit ups, 200 m run, 5 KTE.

I count him braver who overcomes his desires than him who conquers his enemies; for the hardest victory is over self. - Aristotle.

Posted: 21 April 2014 08:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Top Dawg
Joined  2013-07-26
Red Beard - 11 April 2014 09:18 AM
OPG57 - 04 April 2014 11:04 AM

Very interesting stuff OPG but I’d like to get your thoughts on a few things. My dad was a power lifter in college and high school back in the late 60’s and early 70’s. (his DL was in the 950 range)  A couple weeks ago he was in town and happened to come outside to watch me lift. Let’s just say his opinions on proper form where quite different from the advice I’ve been given since starting CF two years ago. Starting with the DL he wanted me to roll my hips first under the bar and then stand up, looking straight up and really over extending the back at the top of the movement. This felt very strange and had my butt/hips very low when starting the lift.

He then suggested I squat with a 2x4 under my feet as to get my weight on my toes. Not gonna lie, the 2x4 thing felt good cause I have very tight lower body muscles and this by passed those issues. I have been taught to use a low heel shoe, start the squat with your hips first, and keep your weight in the middle of your foot. I don’t have quite as wide as a stance as the one you use, but it’s fairly wide.

I was frustrated at first cause it felt like once again I had to restart my DL cause what I had been doing, to my dad, was all wrong. So of course I went back to the only resource I have which is DL CF demos and then check that with my own form. I’ve used these two videos on how to do a good DL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gnjwx7Zx4T4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvlZrkssHxA

I won’t try and use technical language but I start with the chest and hips rising together and once i get to about the knees I squeeze my butt and thrust the hips open. I try and keep my back/core straight/tight and avoid looking straight in the air. This seems to be the advice I’ve been given by CF guys and those who have been competitive lifting in the last 20-30 years. My dad, god love him, just lifted in a different time when form, I guess, was different.

Thoughts?

Hi Red Beard, I just saw this tonight for the 1st time. Who the heck was your Dad? 950 lbs Deadlift. Gary Heisey was the only guy I remember doing that kind of weight in the 80s. I think Don Rheinhoudt ,could also do 900s That’s some mind boggling weight.What was your Dads name?  I will be the 1st to tell you as a Referee I have seen some hideous form used on the deadlift. The type of stuff you cringe at. Hoping a vertebrae didn’t go out of alignment requiring an ambulance. Suprisingly I never witnessed a back injury from Deadlifts. Squats are a different story. Some of the best Deadlifters I have seen will have a curvature in there back when pulling big weights, Checkout Vince Anello who pulled 800+ at 198. They said he had a hinged back. Bottom line. I don’t worry about a lifter having a perfectly flat back on a pull. I think that tends to load the lower back to much, At least the examples I’ve seen on youtube. I understand what your Dad is saying about rolling the hips under the bar. I do that by pushing my hips forward at the finish of the lift. I like to start a Deadlift by driving my feet thru the floor. focus on heels to middle of feet when you start. There really is no perfect way to Deadlift that all body types can use. If someone has long arms and short torso they will have advantages on the Deadlift.and probably suck at the bench. If a guy is short and compact with arms being the same He will normally be a good Squatter and Bencher but mediocre Deadlifter. Your Dad must posses a physical build that is unreal .Short torso longer arms I’ll guess that the bar was 6”-12” bellow his crotch at the finish of his lift. That and very powerful large hands to hold that weight. Let me know if that’s a good description.I would guess he was also over 300 lbs bodyweight.Head position is up to the lifter. I Have seen folks who look up, stay neutral and down.We all have differences in our builds ,So there really isn’t a right or wrong way.

Signature 

Posted: 22 April 2014 06:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Boxer
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  593
Joined  2012-05-16

Thanks OPG. Yeah my dad is no one special (well he is to me). I have a feeling that he either over exaggerated his numbers (like most dads would) or I heard him wrong. He played middle line backer in college back in the 70’s. So he’s 6-0, 240ish when he played. And yeah he’s perfectly built for power lifting, while I have longer legs, arms, and torso which make some of the lifts a struggle for me.

Recently, my deadlift form finally clicked and I’ve seen major gains in that area. When I first started CF I was weak in the lower body, tight muscles everywhere, and my lower back was in shambles. After working on DL form for the past two years and keeping to light weight, my back is 1000x stronger, my strength is still weak but getting there and my mobility has improved. It’s a work in progress but for someone who hadn’t worked out their lower body in 12 years, I feel I’ve made great gains.

Due to tight hips and hamstrings, SQT is still a struggle and likely always will be but that’s improved as well. I’m not trying to be a competitive CF’er or power lifter. Just a guy who is dedicated to being as healthy as possible.

Thanks for the feed back!

Signature 

M/32/6’2’‘/245# :( up from 225 a year ago.

Compare to 330# in 2009

Warm up: two rounds of 10 air squats, 1 min hamstring stretch, 10 push-ups, 5 pull ups, 5 dips, 10 deep squats holding on to a poll for perfect form, 10 sit ups, 200 m run, 5 KTE.

I count him braver who overcomes his desires than him who conquers his enemies; for the hardest victory is over self. - Aristotle.

Posted: 23 April 2014 05:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Top Dawg
Joined  2013-07-26
Red Beard - 22 April 2014 06:27 AM

Thanks OPG. Yeah my dad is no one special (well he is to me). I have a feeling that he either over exaggerated his numbers (like most dads would) or I heard him wrong. He played middle line backer in college back in the 70’s. So he’s 6-0, 240ish when he played. And yeah he’s perfectly built for power lifting, while I have longer legs, arms, and torso which make some of the lifts a struggle for me.

Recently, my deadlift form finally clicked and I’ve seen major gains in that area. When I first started CF I was weak in the lower body, tight muscles everywhere, and my lower back was in shambles. After working on DL form for the past two years and keeping to light weight, my back is 1000x stronger, my strength is still weak but getting there and my mobility has improved. It’s a work in progress but for someone who hadn’t worked out their lower body in 12 years, I feel I’ve made great gains.

Due to tight hips and hamstrings, SQT is still a struggle and likely always will be but that’s improved as well. I’m not trying to be a competitive CF’er or power lifter. Just a guy who is dedicated to being as healthy as possible.

Thanks for the feed back!

I wish you continued success on your Training Redbeard. Take care wink

Signature