Where do you guys get your advice from for paleo information?
Posted: 01 April 2014 11:19 AM   [ Ignore ]
Puppy Dawg
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2014-03-03

Hey everyone smile,

Want to introduce myself first. New member here, I have been doing paleo and Crossfit for a couple of years now and I love it (as do others to whom I have been preaching about it!).
But because I am a bit of a science nerd, I’ve been wondering where do you guys get your evidence-based paleo information from? Possibly backed with studies and such as it’s easier to argue against people who like to claim that paleo is bull****
I’ve been using:

Mark’s Daily Apple : obviously the main library for paleo information everyone shoujld know smile

Robb Wolf’s Page : same as Mark’s Daily Apple, Robb Wolf’s page is full on information too smile

And other two really cool pages, I have stumbled upon recently. The first is a pro paleo-one (Healthy Eating Harbor) that did a long and comprehensive review on all the studies done on the paleo. I Really recommend it to get a skinny on the evidence for paleo.
The second one is not a paleo page per se, but it does evidence-based reviews as well, and wrote a good post about the evidence behind paleo too.

What about you guys? I would be happy to see your resources shared too!

Regards

Posted: 01 April 2014 12:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Top Dawg
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  809
Joined  2012-07-04

Paleo is supported by a lot of people who swears by it.

A lot of people don’t follow it and are just as healthy.

As for real scientific evidence studies are mostly inconclusive about which one will be the best in the long run. Nutrition and health research takes time and requires large studies. Unfortunately many cited pro-paleo studies have small test groups and sometimes lacks control groups.

Paleo is probably very good for you, just as the Mediterranean diet and a few more. We’ll just have to stick around a bit more until real results show up.

Signature 

M 31/1.79 m/72 kg

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It’s perfect when it arrives and puts itself in our hands. It hopes we’ve learned something from yesterday. - John Wayne

Posted: 06 April 2014 06:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Pack Member
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  260
Joined  2010-05-20

I got a lot of my early info from Mark and Robb. Currently, I listen to two podcasts: EPLifeFit and PaleoHacks (both links WFS).

I don’t really care what studies may say about the paleo diet, I just know that not eating processed crap works for me. And given that I eat a little cheese and am more primal than paleo, and the fact that “paleo diet” tends to get some people uptight and ready to play devil’s advocate, I just tell people that I don’t eat crap anymore. If they want specifics, I’ll get into more detail.

I’m also not much of a CrossFitter anymore as I haven’t done a WOD in a long time. On the other hand, I’m currently working a job that keeps me on my feet 8 hours a day with constant moving, some lifting, and lots of walking (night stocker at a Walmart… not proud, but it’s a job). Between that and eating clean, I’m down 47 pounds since Xmas.

JERF! (Just Eat Real Food)

Signature 

- Mike

Posted: 03 May 2014 01:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Puppy Dawg
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2014-03-03

Yeah I agree about the longterm effects of studies when it comes to paleo, not much research has been done - just one study which was 2 years long, but that is about it.

Thanks for those two podcasts smithma7! I will definitely become a listener, I have been reading paleohacks for some time now too. And congrats on your weight loss! That’s quite a substantial amount of weight lost.

I like the JERF acronym too, I think I’ll start using that too smile

Posted: 25 July 2014 05:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Puppy Dawg
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2014-06-18

I second Mark’s Daily Apple for paleo (primal) info.  Great blog site.  And of course, Robb Wolf is King Paleo… check his site too.  Those are probably the two best, most scientifically accurate, and well-researched sites there are for paleo.