Road to being an athlete
Posted: 26 April 2014 12:54 AM   [ Ignore ]
Puppy Dawg
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2014-04-25

hello all!

This is my first post on such a site so please be gentle wink

to give you a bit of background about myself first before i get into the main question….
i am a 25 yr ol;d male 6ft 1inch 90kg with excersise induced asthma
I have been practicing crossfit for nearly 3 months now and safe to say i am addicted.
I have been playing rugby at fairly high level (just under international) for nearly 10 years before i had to retire due to injuries and going to university.

That was several years ago now. I have been keeping active as i could not having access to a gym or steady income in those years. With my excersie induced asthma (which only is triggered by intense exercise but is maintained by the same thing) i never realy felt comfortable in pushing myself.

Recently at my box here in maidstone uk (check us out http://invictusfitness.co.uk/) we were talking after one particularly deadly wod (14.4/5 i think) we chatted about what it takes to be an athlete and there are mixed views on how this is done.

Me personally my definition of an athlete is someone who trains and competes for a living while studying the latest training methodologies and implementing a consistent and robust schedule of clean eating and exercise.

I would like to know if anyone here is/knows and athlete who is willing to share there journey from start to finish. I know I am no where close to what most people in the games are like but is that what an athlete realy is? opinions in the box are divided so i am turning to your wisdomes to enlighten us all.

My ultimate aim (a let buy from playing rugby) is to become an athlete and compete regularly at competitions and same for several people in my box also so having this definition can give us something to work towards and use as a guidepost. just relying on the girls all the time i feels is a bit of a get out free card in my books as no one realy gives a standard time for this i.e. if you can do fran RX sub 10 min your on your way to being an athlete ......

This is propberbly already out there somewhere in the mass of the forum but i couldn’t seem to find it .....

I hope all of you can help me and the rest of the box out by giving us a good definition and goal posts to work towards and maybe… just maybe… a path to realize our dreams wink

Cheers!!!!!!

Posted: 29 April 2014 09:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Top Dawg
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1506
Joined  2009-06-24

Not entirely sure what you mean by “athlete.” Are you asking, what does it take to be good enough to qualify for the CrossFit Games?

Signature 

The obstacle is the path. - Zen proverb
m/48/6’1”/200
Yup, that Jeesh

Posted: 29 April 2014 12:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Puppy Dawg
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2014-04-25
Jeesh - 29 April 2014 09:24 AM

Not entirely sure what you mean by “athlete.” Are you asking, what does it take to be good enough to qualify for the CrossFit Games?

partly yes but i also mean in general. for example someone could call weightlifters athletes but they are totally different to footballers/socker players.

so i am looking for a definition that covers all of them without being too generic.

but yes an idea of what one would need to servive the open at least would also be benificial

Posted: 29 April 2014 12:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Top Dawg
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1506
Joined  2009-06-24

OK, but now I don’t understand the purpose of the question. Does there seem to be a lot of debate about the definition of “athlete” where you are? I find that the answer for any worthwhile context takes care of itself. I also find the question of what is and what is not considered a “sport” to be pretty uninteresting.

As for surviving the Open, since you haven’t posted any workout results I have no idea where you are as an athlete. If you did the Open this year you should be able to identify any weaknesses and then focus on filling those holes for next year.

Good luck.

Signature 

The obstacle is the path. - Zen proverb
m/48/6’1”/200
Yup, that Jeesh

‹‹ Outlaw Power      Crossfit and Losing Weight ››