Suggestions for low volume good carbs
Posted: 31 May 2014 02:15 AM   [ Ignore ]
Puppy Dawg
Rank
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2014-05-27

Hi guys

I have a lot of weight to lose (around 70lbs).

I have been eating clean, training well and losing weight well for the 3 months since I started (I did have 95bs to lose when I started)

But I’ve added an extra session into my schedule and had a sugar crash after the extra one. Coach said to up my carbs.

I went over my food diary and I need to add some more good carbs. I’ve been getting them all from veg, with occasional berries, apple, Greek yoghurt and having looked at the zone blocks I can see I’m not getting enough.

Any suggestions for paleo-friendly but low volume extra carbs? I can’t eat any more volume of food!

Thanks

Welshflier

Posted: 31 May 2014 09:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Top Dawg
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  809
Joined  2012-07-04

Carbs in paleo are almost exclusively on the high volume side… Veggies, veggies or veggies.

I’d say you either stay paleo as before but accept the extra volume (if you can manage) - or - you accept that you’re not 100 % paleo and eat some slowly digested grains (it won’t kill you).

If you’re goal is just to lose weight you seem to be on the right track even without the extra session, so a third option is to take it easy with the workouts and keep losing weight by eating clean.

Signature 

M 31/1.79 m/72 kg

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It’s perfect when it arrives and puts itself in our hands. It hopes we’ve learned something from yesterday. - John Wayne

Posted: 31 May 2014 12:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Puppy Dawg
Rank
Joined  2014-05-27

Thanks for the wisdom

I really enjoy the workouts. I’ve got a great coach and the guys are so encouraging. So I’d rather not go back to 3.

I guess one meal a day I need swap some of the green veggies for sweet potato to reduce the volume issue.

I confess the sugar crash got me rattled; I’m wondering if very strong coffee may have contributed.

Thanks.
Welshflier

Posted: 31 May 2014 12:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Puppy Dawg
Rank
Joined  2014-05-27

Should have said, I’m almost 50, hyper mobile, never been fit. So my main aim is to be alive at 80 and able to sit/stand/reach/pick things up!

Posted: 09 June 2014 06:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Pack Member
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  260
Joined  2010-05-20

From what I hear, sweet potatoes and white rice are decent alternatives. The rice isn’t necessarily paleo, but it does fit into the primal pattern. wink

Signature 

- Mike

Posted: 18 June 2014 09:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Puppy Dawg
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2014-06-18
smithma7 - 09 June 2014 06:55 AM

From what I hear, sweet potatoes and white rice are decent alternatives. The rice isn’t necessarily paleo, but it does fit into the primal pattern. wink

Agreed.  sweet potatoes and (white) rice are my favorite, even though rice may break the paleo “rule” against grains.  on the same note, quinoa is a (IMO) great carb source and earth-grown nutrient.