Crossfit and nutrition - help needed!
Posted: 02 July 2014 11:24 AM   [ Ignore ]
Puppy Dawg
Rank
Total Posts:  15
Joined  2014-07-02

Hi!
I didn’t find any Finnish forum about this topic so I’m writing here (sorry bad English :p).
I just started crossfit a couple of months ago and I really like it. Yet I dont know what kind of food/nutrition supports crossfit training; all information I found (in Finnish) was about how to gain muscles as bodybuilder or lose weight, and for me neighter is the case. I only want to became strong and healthy.
I had some issues with nutrition last year. I had to change from vegan diet to gluten free and soy free diet for some quite bad stomach symptomps (sorry I dont know in English). Meanwhile I lost ‘accidently’ a couple of kilos weight. Now I weight 72kg/173cm, fat about 29%. So my bmi is ‘normal’ but I’m still far from skinny (and thats definitely not the target).
Do you have any good advices for me? smile

Posted: 02 July 2014 11:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Top Dawg
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  820
Joined  2012-07-04

The diet of choice for many in Crossfit is paleo. If you don’t know what to pick try it.

Others (including myself) is not that strict and eats some that is not included there (like milk, some grains and so on), but most good diets for health and training are similar. Eat enough good protein, good fat and more vegetables than you think you need.

If you really want to go all in check Zone too.

There are a lot of good answers in this subforum and in the beginners subforum.

And have fun! No one eats perfect!

And welcome to the forum! Nice to see someone from close by. smile

Signature 

M 31/1.79 m/72 kg

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It’s perfect when it arrives and puts itself in our hands. It hopes we’ve learned something from yesterday. - John Wayne

Posted: 03 July 2014 01:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Puppy Dawg
Rank
Joined  2014-07-02

Thank you! I’ll have a closer look on those subforums. smile

Posted: 09 July 2014 06:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Puppy Dawg
Rank
Joined  2014-07-02

Does anyone have any idea about how much protein/carbs/calories etc I should eat? (I know how much energy I need usually but not how much crossfit affects that.)

Posted: 11 July 2014 08:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Top Dawg
Joined  2012-07-04

When calculating with the zone method I`ve heard that you consider Crossfit a “moderate” activity so if you have been exercising before there should not be much of a difference, but if you increase the number of workouts per week you probably should eat more. There is no evidence for any “best” ratio between proteins, carbs and fat.

Often your body will tell you how much you need to eat if you just stay with food of good quality. If that doesn’t work you should check out the zone - or even better find a nutritionist to help you.

Signature 

M 31/1.79 m/72 kg

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It’s perfect when it arrives and puts itself in our hands. It hopes we’ve learned something from yesterday. - John Wayne

Posted: 21 July 2014 01:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Puppy Dawg
Rank
Total Posts:  12
Joined  2014-04-02

I’ve found that ‘carb back loading’ works well for me with Crossfit.  I basically eat a paleo diet, but I refrain from eating any carbs (other than green veggies) until post workout.  This keeps my body in ‘fat burning mode’ all day long, yet allows me to replenish glycogen stores for the next days workout by eating carbs post workout.

Signature 

“It’s not the critic who counts.” -Teddy Roosevelt

Posted: 06 September 2014 04:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Puppy Dawg
Rank
Joined  2014-07-02

Thank you for answers this far.

I haven’t been able to do any sports for a while (got hyperthyroidism and its f****** frustrating) but now I’ll be back to gym little by little. Also now I will really fix my diet.

I just found a paleo cookbook at a local bookshop but its writer tells not to eat any carbs. To me this sounds a bit extreme and maybe not even sensible since for example crossfit consumes a lot of carbs (am I right?). Do you include carbs, such as rice, oats or potatoes, in your diet?

Posted: 06 September 2014 06:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Top Dawg
Joined  2012-07-04

Yes it is extreme and you don’t have to go all the way to be healthy. It won’t kill you to eat very little carbs either, but it can make your everyday life and training a little more difficult.

I do eat some carbs, but much less than people in general.  Potatoes, some whole grains and whole-meal bread can be found in my diet, but not very much pasta, white rice and so on. What I do try is to eat a lot of vegetables instead.

E.g if I eat chicken, instead of rice I make a vegetable stew and add some more raw vegetables on the side.

Signature 

M 31/1.79 m/72 kg

Posted: 07 September 2014 07:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Puppy Dawg
Rank
Joined  2014-07-02

Ok thanks. smile Baybe I’ll start to add veggies instead of rise/pasta/etc to my diet as the first step.

Posted: 26 September 2014 12:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Puppy Dawg
Rank
Joined  2014-07-02

I think my diet is now looking better but if anyone would like to give their opinioin of it I would be thankfull. What I typically eat is:

Breakfast: smoothie (fat free curd, banana and raw cocoa or berries, low fat milk to make it liquid) and homemade glutenfree oat bread with avocado and egg or cheese or oatmeal wiht e.g. butter and sea buckthorn jam.
Lunch: e.g. yesterday I ate chicken stew with tomatoes, herbs and light cream and basmati rice
Snacks: 1 banana and recovery drink after training or at rest days e.g. flavoured curd
Dinner: e.g. yesterday salmon and sweet potato made in oven
Evening snacks: same bread as morning or e.g. pie of strawberries and oats (sorry I don’t know the name of this dish in English)
-> About 2600kcal.
During the day pelnty of water, a couple of cups herbal tea and sometimes other drinks such as orange juice, wine with dinner or hot chocolate. Olive oil or butter for cooking. Sometimes piece of chocolate or other treats. Quite often green salad and/or cottage cheese on the side of lunch or dinner.

Posted: 30 September 2014 11:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Puppy Dawg
Rank
Joined  2014-07-02

Thank you Ronald! I think I have figured out what foods are or are not suitable to me pretty far. I don’t eat any gluten because even a small piece of ordinary bread makes my stomach hurt bad for next 24 hours - and still the doctors say I don’t have the Coeliac disease. grrr But anyway it is true that gut health makes a big difference with any workouts too. It is pretty hard to lift weights if the food is not absorbed as it should.