OHS for 2 reps
Posted: 10 July 2014 04:46 AM   [ Ignore ]
Top Dawg
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  913
Joined  2011-01-04

Hey I finally was able to upload a video. Not as bad as I thought. Let me have it guys. Tell me what you think of form. Wanted to get 2 reps to compare each rep. Thanks in advance for the advice.
Wes

[vimeo]https://vimeo.com/100403794[/vimeo]

Signature 

“All brave men love; for he only is brave who has affections to fight for, whether in the daily battle of life, or in physical contests.”
                                                                                                        Nathaniel Hawthorne

M 37
5’ 11”
CF DOB 2010

Posted: 10 July 2014 05:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Top Dawg
Total Posts:  3527
Joined  2013-07-26
jennmedic - 10 July 2014 04:46 AM

Hey I finally was able to upload a video. Not as bad as I thought. Let me have it guys. Tell me what you think of form. Wanted to get 2 reps to compare each rep. Thanks in advance for the advice.
Wes

Awesome effort my friend! I would recommend dropping the weight back to 165 range and looking at getting some weightlifting shoes to elevate the heel and give some stability to your feet. Chuck taylors are great for powerlifts, but not so much on Olylifts. No doubt you are one strong rascal. Focus on getting your hips flexible enough to get below parallel with lighter weights. Take care brother.  Great to see video of you in action finally.

Signature 

M/ 57/ 72.5”/ 265
F /52/ 59’’ /173 Olypowergal

The eyes of the arrogant will be humbled and human pride brought low; The Lord alone will be exalted in that day. Isaiah 2:11

Posted: 10 July 2014 05:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Top Dawg
Joined  2011-01-04
OPG57 - 10 July 2014 05:00 AM

Wes

Awesome effort my friend! I would recommend dropping the weight back to 165 range and looking at getting some weightlifting shoes to elevate the heel and give some stability to your feet. Chuck taylors are great for powerlifts, but not so much on Olylifts. No doubt you are one strong rascal. Focus on getting your hips flexible enough to get below parallel with lighter weights. Take care brother.  Great to see video of you in action finally.

Thanks OPG. I took three videos. After watching the others 185 squat was deeper and hip crease looked better. I would love to have a set of shoes when money allows. Thanks again

Signature 

“All brave men love; for he only is brave who has affections to fight for, whether in the daily battle of life, or in physical contests.”
                                                                                                        Nathaniel Hawthorne

M 37
5’ 11”
CF DOB 2010

Posted: 10 July 2014 06:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Big Dawg
RankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  457
Joined  2014-05-18

I’m not qualified to give you any advice, but just wanted to say that was very impressive.  I’d be excited to have form that good with the bar.  Nice work Bro!

Signature 

2 Timothy 1:7 For the Spirit God gave us does not make us timid, but gives us power, love and self-discipline.

1 Corinthians 9:25 All athletes are disciplined in their training.  They do it to win a prize that will fade away, but we do it for an eternal prize.

Why do I workout?  To make light of heavy situations.

M/34/5’10”/185

Posted: 10 July 2014 06:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Top Dawg
Joined  2013-07-26
jennmedic - 10 July 2014 05:23 AM
OPG57 - 10 July 2014 05:00 AM

Wes

Thanks OPG. I took three videos. After watching the others 185 squat was deeper and hip crease looked better. I would love to have a set of shoes when money allows. Thanks again

In the old days Guys would use dress shoes, like you wear on honor guard try using those. Low quarters have about a 1/2” heel and are fairly wide and stable, leather bottoms can be a little slippery though. Consider using knee sleeves on the Oly lifts also. Take care my friend.

Signature 

M/ 57/ 72.5”/ 265

The eyes of the arrogant will be humbled and human pride brought low; The Lord alone will be exalted in that day. Isaiah 2:11

Posted: 11 July 2014 11:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Total Posts:  8569
Joined  2004-07-08

Wes

jenn,

Remember when squatting, hips first then knees. When you initiate first with your knees, you will most likely always shoot forward. Remember, hips back first, then knees out. Please drop the weight when working on this.

Signature 

In God we Trust all others we monitor

Posted: 11 July 2014 01:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Top Dawg
Joined  2011-01-04
BIG D - 11 July 2014 11:50 AM

Wes

jenn,

Remember when squatting, hips first then knees. When you initiate first with your knees, you will most likely always shoot forward. Remember, hips back first, then knees out. Please drop the weight when working on this.

Thanks Big D
I will drop weight and work on moving hips first. I know with lighter weights I can feel my hips drop first and I can get deeper in my squat. Thanks again.

Signature 

Nathaniel Hawthorne

M 37
5’ 11”
CF DOB 2010

Posted: 12 July 2014 06:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Top Dawg
Joined  2013-07-26
jennmedic - 11 July 2014 01:12 PM
BIG D - 11 July 2014 11:50 AM

Wes

jenn,

Thanks Big D
I will drop weight and work on moving hips first. I know with lighter weights I can feel my hips drop first and I can get deeper in my squat. Thanks again.

Good point Big D, I should have stated it the way you did about sitting back or moving with hips 1st. I’ve worked with Wes on Box squat issues before so I knew he understood what I was saying about getting below parallel. But others folks didn’t.  getting into deep squat position can’t be done if knees shoot forward, you have to sit back into stance like this.  http://vimeo.com/100431261 not perfect but you get the idea.  Good call again Big D

Signature 

M/ 57/ 72.5”/ 265