Beginner Deadlift
Posted: 14 July 2014 07:28 AM   [ Ignore ]
Stray Dawg
RankRank
Total Posts:  30
Joined  2014-07-11

My first deadlift.

I watched several of the suggested deadlift instruction videos, but it didn’t come out like I expected.  What should I work on first?

[youtube]http://youtu.be/G5H7PRCxpQg[/youtube]

Signature 

M/48/6’1”
Stats:
07/13/2014 304 lbs—Started CrossFitBrandX
08/13/2014 308 lbs—Graduated from Puppies to Pack

3 Jn 1:4 “I have no greater joy than to hear that my children walk in truth”

Posted: 14 July 2014 08:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Top Dawg
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3584
Joined  2013-07-26
AdamB - 14 July 2014 07:28 AM

My first deadlift.

I watched several of the suggested deadlift instruction videos, but it didn’t come out like I expected.  What should I work on first?

[youtube]http://youtu.be/G5H7PRCxpQg[/youtube]

Hi Adam, Welcome to the site, Regarding your deadlift you will want more leg involvement on the pull, or should I say push. I like to start the lift with a shoulder width stance ,I will then crouch down to bar with my back upright, head in neutral position and arms hanging loose thru entire lift sequence, the Deadlift is Initiated by pushing feet thru the floor Figuratively speaking, emphasis is on keeping the pull in your heel portion of foot while remaining flat footed. maintain the upright back angle thru pull and maintain contact with bar close to body until standing   fully erect with hips forward and shoulders back, lower the bar along same pathway to floor touching gently and repeating sequence. The Deadlift I described is more of a clean style deadlift. Powerlifting deadlift is less restrictive about maintaining flat back , that and one will use a alternating grip with one palm facing forward and one facing back to keep bar from rolling in the grip.  heres some examples . I did this one this morning     This is a clean deadlift ( The reason I’m standing on the board is to force me to pull from my heels and keep me from rocking forward)  http://vimeo.com/100720583  This is an example of a Powerlifting Deadlift.  http://vimeo.com/78731527  In this style I will wear wrestling flat soled shoes with no forward lean and a Powerlifting Belt because of heavier poundages involved. The clean style Deadlift has me wearing wedged olympic lifting shoes.  I hope this helps. Good luck to you

Signature 

M/ 57/ 72.5”/ 265
F /52/ 59’’ /173 Olypowergal

The eyes of the arrogant will be humbled and human pride brought low; The Lord alone will be exalted in that day. Isaiah 2:11

Posted: 14 July 2014 11:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  8578
Joined  2004-07-08

Adam B.
Welcome to the site man. First thing is, we need to get that bar a little more off the ground. You have small diameter weights which is requiring you to reach to low to the ground. Maybe a set of 4x4 blocks, something to get that bar elevated. With the bar that low to the ground you will have a hard time setting up. Try it, and send another video.

Signature 

In God we Trust all others we monitor

Posted: 14 July 2014 12:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Top Dawg
Joined  2013-07-26
BIG D - 14 July 2014 11:54 AM

Adam B.
Welcome to the site man. First thing is, we need to get that bar a little more off the ground. You have small diameter weights which is requiring you to reach to low to the ground. Maybe a set of 4x4 blocks, something to get that bar elevated. With the bar that low to the ground you will have a hard time setting up. Try it, and send another video.

That would probably be a good idea. a full size plate is usually 17.5 ” in dia. 8.75” to center of bar from floor . Your plates appear to be 10-11” dia.  5.5 ” from center of bar to floor. Good observation on Big Ds part. sitting it on 4"x 4” on each side should make up the difference and make it easier for you to familiarize yourself with the movement.  Good luck Adam

Signature 

M/ 57/ 72.5”/ 265

The eyes of the arrogant will be humbled and human pride brought low; The Lord alone will be exalted in that day. Isaiah 2:11

Posted: 14 July 2014 02:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Stray Dawg
RankRank
Total Posts:  30
Joined  2014-07-11

After reading through the excellent detailed instructions from OPG57 several times and raising the bar as BIG D suggested, I gave it another try.

Here are my results:
[youtube]http://youtu.be/aLgWGetq2zs[/youtube]

...It looked a lot better in my head.  red face

I wonder if I should go down to 10 lbs and just work on moving my legs up and down.

Would this be something that I could/should add to my warmup?

Any additional advice is very welcome. 

Warmest Regards

Adam.  grin

Signature 

M/48/6’1”
Stats:
07/13/2014 304 lbs—Started CrossFitBrandX
08/13/2014 308 lbs—Graduated from Puppies to Pack

3 Jn 1:4 “I have no greater joy than to hear that my children walk in truth”

Posted: 14 July 2014 03:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Top Dawg
Joined  2013-07-26
AdamB - 14 July 2014 02:34 PM

After reading through the excellent detailed instructions from OPG57 several times and raising the bar as BIG D suggested, I gave it another try.

Here are my results:
[youtube]http://youtu.be/aLgWGetq2zs[/youtube]

...It looked a lot better in my head.  red face

I wonder if I should go down to 10 lbs and just work on moving my legs up and down.

Would this be something that I could/should add to my warmup?

Any additional advice is very welcome. 

Warmest Regards

Adam.  grin

That’s a little better Adam. I would suggest moving the inside collars on your bar 2-3 inches out on both sides . move your grip out also to allow some more freedom of movement. It looks a little tight and appears to be throwing you off some. When doing the pull maintain the bar close to your legs thru entire pull letting the legs handle most of the load.The extra height looks like it helped. Good call on Big Ds part. Take care Adam    

Just an after thought.  Since you will be using that bar for possible overhead movements. Snatch grip comes to mind for overhead squats. I would move the inside collars as wide apart as physically possible.  using a piece of 1” PVC 5 feet long would be good for the overhead squat to begin with. Good luck Adam

Sorry I didn’t answer your last question. Something like Deadlifts can’t hurt for a warm up. If you think a 10 pound drop would be beneficial towards perfecting form than by all means go ahead.

Signature 

M/ 57/ 72.5”/ 265

‹‹ no video      3 pos snatch form check ››