Howdy, y’all!  Trying to make it back here again.
Posted: 08 August 2014 03:57 PM   [ Ignore ]
Terrier
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  65
Joined  2014-03-27

I apologize for going AWOL recently.  My 83yo mom fell and broke her hip in mid-May, went through surgery and rehab, and now I’m taking care of her in my home.  She’s making great progress getting back on her feet, but I still have to help her with a lot of things, all of which takes time.  I’m not complaining, mind you, just trying to figure out a way to make it all work.

I’m still trying to find a “new normal” for my daily schedule, including workouts.  I help my mom with her physical therapy, but that’s far too lightweight even for me.  (She’s 4’8”, 89lb, and skin and bones.)  I miss my workouts, such as they were, and I miss y’all!  I really need to find a way to get back into it again.

Signature 

CF Start date:  March 28, 2014
F/53/5’6”/225 216 210
(goal: 125-130lb)

Posted: 08 August 2014 04:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Top Dawg
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3513
Joined  2013-07-26
rosie - 08 August 2014 03:57 PM

I apologize for going AWOL recently.  My 83yo mom fell and broke her hip in mid-May, went through surgery and rehab, and now I’m taking care of her in my home.  She’s making great progress getting back on her feet, but I still have to help her with a lot of things, all of which takes time.  I’m not complaining, mind you, just trying to figure out a way to make it all work.

I’m still trying to find a “new normal” for my daily schedule, including workouts.  I help my mom with her physical therapy, but that’s far too lightweight even for me.  (She’s 4’8”, 89lb, and skin and bones.)  I miss my workouts, such as they were, and I miss y’all!  I really need to find a way to get back into it again.

Best of luck on getting a schedule going. Best wishes to your Mom for a rapid recovery.Welcome back rosie wink

Signature 

M/ 57/ 72.5”/ 265
F /52/ 59’’ /173 Olypowergal

The eyes of the arrogant will be humbled and human pride brought low; The Lord alone will be exalted in that day. Isaiah 2:11

Posted: 08 August 2014 07:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Terrier
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2014-03-27

Thank you, Gus and Lea Ann!

Signature 

F/53/5’6”/225 216 210

Posted: 09 August 2014 05:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Boxer
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  504
Joined  2013-10-05

Welcome back! Use your “mental health minutes” during the day to sneak in a quick set of bodyweight exercises. Anytime one takes care of family members one needs time to just ckear one’s head.  Good luck, and my prayers for your mom!

Signature 

M/40/76”/235#Camo Belt ATA Taekwondo
CFBD: 10/01/2013

Every day is a battle against the heel in my head. -SheepDawg with some help from Mainsite, Bingo’s Musings, and N. Becker.

Posted: 09 August 2014 03:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  13285
Joined  2007-01-30

Welcome Back!!

Don’t worry too much about the WOD.  Get it when you can.  When you can’t there’s lots of things you can do.  Think about having 5 minutes.  Do 5 pushups every minute on the minute.  Or 10 squats.  Whatever.  If you have 5 or ten minutes, you can hit a huge amount of work.  People say they don’t have time to workout and I’m like, did you eat today? Did you shower? grin Look at the workouts on the go section, or bodyweight wods on the web.  A motivated person can find a way. 

TP

Signature 

The common denominator of success—- the secret of success of every man who has ever been successful—- lies in the fact that he formed the habit of doing things that failures don’t like to do.—Albert Grey

“Really Connor? Really?”—Jeff Martin

http://rantopedia.blogspot.com/ (my blog)
http://www.facebook.com/patrick.hoffman1

M-47/5’11”/180lbs

There’s a reason they don’t call it “Fight Gone Good”.

Posted: 15 August 2014 08:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Terrier
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2014-03-27
SheepDawg - 09 August 2014 05:05 AM

Welcome back! Use your “mental health minutes” during the day to sneak in a quick set of bodyweight exercises. Anytime one takes care of family members one needs time to just ckear one’s head.  Good luck, and my prayers for your mom!

Thank you, SheepDawg!  I’m seeing first-hand how important it is for caregivers to have some time away every now and then, and also how difficult it is to get away for that personal time.  In some ways, it’s almost like caring for a newborn all over again.

Thankfully, my mom is making good progress, doing more and more for herself.  I just have to keep reminding myself not to feel guilty that I’m not doing everything for her anymore.

Signature 

F/53/5’6”/225 216 210

Posted: 15 August 2014 08:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Terrier
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2014-03-27
TexasPatrick - 09 August 2014 03:20 PM

Don’t worry too much about the WOD.  Get it when you can.  When you can’t there’s lots of things you can do.  Think about having 5 minutes.  Do 5 pushups every minute on the minute.  Or 10 squats.  Whatever.  If you have 5 or ten minutes, you can hit a huge amount of work.

Thanks for the welcome back, and thanks for the ideas!  I have been doing little things here and there, such as 10-15 knee-ups, or an extra trip up and down the stairs, etc., but I didn’t really feel as though I was “working out”.  I guess I just need to do what I can, when I can, and not worry about doing it all in one session.

Signature 

F/53/5’6”/225 216 210