Soap Box
Posted: 15 August 2006 04:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  13874
Joined  2004-06-18

This was on the affiliates site this morning:
http://www.crossfit.com/cf-affiliates/

Adherence to the idea of “first who” might be the closest link between a great company and a great life. For no matter what we achieve, if we don’t spend the vast majority of our time with people we love and respect, we cannot possibly have a great life. But if we spend the vast majority of our time with people we love and respect – people we really enjoy being on the bus with… then we will almost certainly have a great life no matter where the bus goes. The people we interviewed from the good-to-great companies clearly loved what they did largely because they loved who they did it with.
-Jim Collins
“Good to Great”

Couldn’t agree more.

Signature 

All of life’s problems can be solved by heavy deadlifts.

M/54/5’11”/190

Posted: 15 August 2006 05:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
Total Posts:  8462
Joined  2004-07-08

I concur! Maybe that’s why I love the Martial Arts so much.

Signature 

In God we Trust all others we monitor

Posted: 15 August 2006 07:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  5197
Joined  2004-06-22

Is this why hippies loved buses ?

Signature 

“No man who refuses to bear arms in defense of his nation can give a sound reason why he should be allowed to live in a free country”  T. Roosevelt

“The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who are not.”  Thomas Jefferson”

“History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid” - Gen Eisenhower.

Posted: 16 August 2006 01:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]
Total Posts:  4864
Joined  2004-08-27

I thought BCCF and BBoJ would get a kick out of this, since we all despise rudeness. Today Hans called me while on a break at work. He told me he went into Jack in the Box to get a drink and two girls went up to the counter. One said “Can I have 2 cups of water?” The girl behind the counter said “Please?” The girl said “Can I have 2 cups of water!” The girl behind the counter said “Please?” The girl stormed off shouting “I ain’t gonna say please when I already asked nicely!”  Her friend, who was still at the counter, said “Can I please have a cup of water, please?”

It just warmed my heart because that’s something I could never get away with at work, no matter how justified.  :D

Signature 

I hate burpees
I hate box jumps

Posted: 16 August 2006 11:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]
Top Dawg
Total Posts:  1251
Joined  2006-02-06

I could never do what you do Marla…I would be fired after 2 days!!

Signature 

Yeah um…there is a REASON they call him SATAN!
Fall seven times, stand up eight.
- Japanese proverb
CHECK OUT PREGGO/POST PARTUM WORKOUTS AT http://WWW.CROSSFITMOM.COM

Posted: 17 August 2006 03:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 36 ]
Total Posts:  4864
Joined  2004-08-27

:D
It’s the “Gimme” that’s the worst. Gimme a coffee. Gimme a mocha. Or the ones on the phone. I just want to slap them for how rude they’re being to the people behind them.

Signature 

I hate burpees
I hate box jumps

Posted: 17 August 2006 05:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 37 ]
Mutt
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  38
Joined  2004-07-02

I think the recent fascination with Che Guevara is disturbing. Especially around college campuses, he is very popular. Now I’m not sure if they really do agree with the ideology of Che, or if they just think he is just a famous Latin American, or if they are mislead.

This is a website selling Che merchandise. This is a quote from the website.

“theCHEstore.com welcomes you to the largest collection of Ernesto Che Guevara merchandise found anywhere in the world. theCHEstore.com works closely with more than 15 companies worldwide to put this collection together for you. The spirit and passion of Che Guevara have attracted a vast and devoted international following that avidly embraces Che as the definitive symbol of rebellion, a legendary leader of revolution, and a 20th Century cultural pop icon. To learn more about the life and times of Che Guevara, please see the Che Guevara archive, where there are articles, essays, interviews, pictures, and speeches.”

Legendary leader of revolution? He is a revolutionist, but a Marxist revolutionist. He helped Raul and Fidel Castro take over Cuba. He traveled around the world trying unsuccessfully to create other revolutions.

20th century pop icon? If he is a pop icon, he is a pop icon for all the wrong reasons. He stood for everything the US does not. He was angry at USSR for taking their nuclear missiles out of Cuba after the Cuban Missile Crisis.

In response to all of the people wearing his face on a shirt at school, I bought this shirt and proudly wore it around campus.
shirtsquare-nochegr.jpg

If you want to read more on him, Wikipedia has an article on him  

Signature 

-Scott Meyer

"I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine."
-John Galt, Atlas Shrugged

Posted: 17 August 2006 07:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 38 ]
Administrator
Joined  2004-06-22

Good info Scott, thank you

Signature 

“No man who refuses to bear arms in defense of his nation can give a sound reason why he should be allowed to live in a free country”  T. Roosevelt

“The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who are not.”  Thomas Jefferson”

“History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid” - Gen Eisenhower.

Posted: 17 August 2006 07:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 39 ]
Boxer
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  538
Joined  2006-01-11

Re Scott’s post on the college fascination with Che Guevara:

The deputy American ambassador to Argentina muses from his office window while watching an anti-American demonstration replete with Che Guevara posters outside the U.S. embassy in Buenos Aires:

He admitted a grudging admiration for Fidel Castro, who had taken a handful of men into the mountains of Cuba for training, then overthrown the Cuban government, and had been giving the finger to the world’s most powerful nation ever since.

But Guevara was another story. Guevara, an Argentine who was a doctor, had been Castro’s medic. But as far as Materson knew that was all he had ever done to successfully further the cause of communism. As a revolutionary, he had been a spectacular failure. His attempt to communize Africa had been a disaster. All it had taken to see him flee the African continent with his tail between his legs was a hundred-odd-man covert detachment of African-American Special Forces soldiers. And when he’d moved to Bolivia, an even smaller covert group of Green Berets, this one mostly made up of Cuban-Americans, had been waiting for him, not so much to frustrate his revolutionary ambitions as to make him a laughingstock all over Latin America.

The Green Berets had almost succeeded. For example, they had almost gleefully reported that Guevara had taken a detachment of his grandly-named Revolutionary Army on an overnight training exercise, promptly gotten lost in the boonies, drowned four of his men trying to cross a river, and taken two weeks to get back to his base, barely surviving on a diet of monkeys and other small but edible jungle animals. And when he got back to his base, Guevara had found that it was under surveillance by the Bolivian Army. A farmer had reported the Revolutionary Army to the government, in the belief that they were drug smugglers.

The president of Bolivia, however, was not amused, nor receptive to the idea that the best way to deal with Dr. Guevara was to publicly humiliate him. He ordered a quick summary court-martial—the bearing of arms with the intent of overthrowing a government by force and violence being punishable by death under international law—followed by a quick execution, and Guevara became a legend instead of a joke.

—From the novel, The Hostage, by W.E.B. Griffin (2005, G.P. Putnam’s Sons, publishers)

The novel is not very good, but I like that anecdote because it explains a lot.

Signature 

Because "viriliter age" has to mean something in English, too.

Posted: 17 August 2006 10:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 40 ]
Mutt
RankRankRank
Joined  2004-07-02

Very interesting.

Signature 

-Scott Meyer

"I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine."

Posted: 17 August 2006 11:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 41 ]
Boxer
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  632
Joined  2004-06-24

The glorification of Che has fascinated me for quite a while.  It seems that on the quest to become “antiestablishment” many become anti-informed.  It reminds me of probably my favorite quote:

“if you’re not a communist at 20 you have no heart; if you’re still a communist at 30 you have no brain”

Signature 

Im always thinking one step ahead…like a carpenter building stairs.

Patience, n.—A minor form of despair, disguised as a virtue.

Posted: 17 August 2006 01:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 42 ]
Mutt
RankRankRank
Joined  2004-07-02

I seem to quote Ayn Rand a lot, but she is a smart woman.

“There is a level of cowardice lower than that of the conformist: the fashionable non-conformist.”
-Ayn Rand

Signature 

-Scott Meyer

Posted: 17 August 2006 02:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 43 ]
Administrator
Joined  2004-06-22

Scott
There are few people whose insight I value as much as Ayn Rand’s.
Quote away !

Signature 

Posted: 31 August 2006 12:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 44 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  13874
Joined  2004-06-18

This one made me laugh:

Help Stop Unintended Presidencies!

Signature 

All of life’s problems can be solved by heavy deadlifts.

M/54/5’11”/190

Posted: 31 August 2006 08:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 45 ]
Top Dawg
Total Posts:  2570
Joined  2005-10-27

Why do people who use checks at the grocery store wait until ALL the groceries have been scanned to begin writing their checks? There are some givens here people…date, pay to the order of, your signature. Fill them out while that nice lady is moving your groceries down the conveyer belt.

And WHY OH WHY do you write sooooooooo sloooooowlyyyyyyyy? Granny can get her $4 in change out of her pocket book faster than you can write!

3 of 22

‹‹ Wall street Journal article      OSC ››