1 of 2
A Place for all my Anal Retentive Zone Questions
Posted: 11 August 2006 04:16 AM   [ Ignore ]
Big Dawg
RankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  393
Joined  2006-08-01

Okay guys,

I’ve read through most of the Diet/Nutrition threads, have my copy of “Enter the Zone” mostly read, got my copy of issue #21CF journal in hand, bought a ridiculously expensive food scale (yes, it’s one of the “smart ones”), am bidding on a lot of 2 zone recipe books on ebay, going shopping today to find a hand held body fat monitor to use AT HOME and (choke! Gasp!!) fish oil tablets, and am just about ready to kick this puppy off.  Did I mention being anal retentive yet? 

Here are some question that I still have though:

How can a Zone perfect bar be only 2 blocks if it has 16g of Protein instead of 14g, 21g of carbs instead of 18g, and 7g of fat instead of 3g?  (Maybe it should be called a Zone not-so-perfect bar?)

Do you weight foods you will be cooking AFTER the cooking process.  I am thinking yes, but thought I should ask. 

Anyone want to start/re-start with me?  I haven’t set a start date yet, but it will be in the next week or so.

Signature 

No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it.
-Hebrews 12:11

Posted: 11 August 2006 04:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  14104
Joined  2004-06-18

Lovew the first question.  I prefer to think of it as the “Zone Close Bar’.

Signature 

All of life’s problems can be solved by heavy deadlifts.

M/54/5’11”/190

Posted: 11 August 2006 04:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Top Dawg
Total Posts:  1605
Joined  2004-08-19

Weigh the meat after you cook it if you can. If you have to weigh it before, I think you’re supposed to double the weight. This seems strange to me since different kinds of meat lose different amounts of weight during cooking.

Signature 

M/31/5’10”/175#

CrossFit Brand X Poway

Posted: 11 August 2006 05:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Top Dawg
Total Posts:  916
Joined  2005-08-25

Heather,

I would LOVE to start the Zone with you.  I have tried to stick to the diet so many times but fall off just a little while into it! I have been talking with Sara and she just went on a couple of days ago.  She is doing great-my inspiration! So anyways, give me a start date and I am right there with ya!

Signature 

Ability is what you’re capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it

Posted: 11 August 2006 07:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Boxer
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  531
Joined  2004-08-06

As I am sitting here checking my e-mail and sipping on my 1Block Zone “snack”  shake, I can’t help but laugh.  How many times have we all heard, “I’m starting a new diet on…or, I’m going back on my diet on…anybody want to join me?”  That’s part of the problem, we can go on a diet to loose x number of lbs, and then return to our old habits or we can change our diet for a healthier lifestyle.
With the Zone we are not going on a diet, we are changing it. So as to convert to a healthier way of eating and living by it. Don’t make it out to be soooo tough.
The 1st 2 weeks where you are finding yourself measureing, getting used to a few new foods and cutting some old friends(pasta, rice, bread, etc.) out of your meals are the most difficult. You will eventually not even have to think about it. Once in a while you can treat yourself to one of your old friends. And believe it or not, I as well as some other Zoners that I have talked to have found that their tastes have changed so much that the french fry or chocolate that you wanted is just not as appealing anymore.
So, good luck to all of you entering the “Zone”.

Signed,
                                        Your fellow Zoner

P.S. And those of you with kids, work on getting them converted now.
    It’s not as difficult as it seems and it will pay off in the long run.

Signature 

“The greats often became great because they continued to believe in themselves despite apparant failures”

Posted: 11 August 2006 08:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Top Dawg
Joined  2005-08-25

Ok…sorry about the diet reference-probably the reason why I have not succeeded on the zone because I am looking at it like a horrible diet.

Heather, when shall we enter the “zone”?

Signature 

Ability is what you’re capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it

Posted: 11 August 2006 01:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Top Dawg
Total Posts:  1391
Joined  2006-01-31

if you need to pick a date to start zoning, you’re definitely trying too hard to implement it into your lifestyle.

Posted: 11 August 2006 01:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Big Dawg
Joined  2006-08-01

Gimpy:  I understand your point but…....I’m the kind of person that is NOT naturally organized and if I don’t discipline myself by making a plan I don’t follow through.  I have never once been on a diet in my life, so I take this “lifstyle change” rather seriously. 

I have my whole family to consider and my hubby has made it very clear he does NOT want to do this with me.  Thus, I need to make sure I’m planning meals which will be Zone friendly and my family will still eat or I will have to plan two separate menus.  Either way, it will take some effort to implement.  I guess I see it as the old adage: If you fail to plan then you plan to fail. 

I also want to take stock of my pantry and freezer (scary stuff lurking in there) and do kind of a “spring cleaning” of undesirable stuff as Marla suggested. 

KatDawg:  Thank you.  I can sometimes be overly studious.  It’s the pointy headed bookworm in me.  I want to go research a subject and read 10 books before I think I know what’s going on. 

Nichole:  How’s this coming Monday for you?  Too soon?  Just right?  Let me know…....

Signature 

No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it.

Posted: 11 August 2006 02:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  5197
Joined  2004-06-22

Heather
Don’t worry too much.  i did the sepaarate meal thing for at least six months…some of the family willing to Zone some not.  You just get used to it- it is just a new habi that you form.  The meals you make for your family can be perfectly zoned plus a basket of bread or pasta for the non zoners…they don’t really have to know..

Signature 

“No man who refuses to bear arms in defense of his nation can give a sound reason why he should be allowed to live in a free country”  T. Roosevelt

“The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who are not.”  Thomas Jefferson”

“History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid” - Gen Eisenhower.

Posted: 11 August 2006 11:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Top Dawg
Joined  2005-08-25

This coming Monday sounds great!

Signature 

Posted: 12 August 2006 10:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Big Dawg
Joined  2006-08-01

More questions

If you have meat with a marinade - do you count the marinade in your blocks? 

Example:  I have teriaki chicken breasts from Costco.  They have 5 grams of carbs per serving, so do I need to count that toward my carb block?

Do you count diet drinks with Splenda or other types of artificial sweetners?  Example:  Iced tea w/ Splenda.

What are the best salad dressings to use? 
On the CF journal #21 it has a couple of salads listed w/ “1 tbsp dressing of your choice”  However in checking just 2 random bottles from my fridge one has 1g fat and 7 g carbs the other 7.5g fat and .5g carbs.  It seems to me there’s quite a variance between different dressings.

Signature 

Posted: 12 August 2006 12:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  5197
Joined  2004-06-22

Yes count the marinade, it sounds high carb for marinade, likely all sugars

Yes drinks count -all though most diet drinks are nil- find ones that register as a zero

on the dressings- exactly, like Spaghetti sauce, there is extreme variance read labels and try different brands. I usually go with olive oil based vinaigrettes with no more than 2 or 3 sugar grams per serving.
Some Caesar Lites work too.

Signature 

“No man who refuses to bear arms in defense of his nation can give a sound reason why he should be allowed to live in a free country”  T. Roosevelt

“The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who are not.”  Thomas Jefferson”

“History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid” - Gen Eisenhower.

Posted: 13 August 2006 01:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Big Dawg
Joined  2006-08-01

Thank you BBOJ - I found a “lite” version of my favorite, Girard’s Champagne Dressing at the store today. 

What I did NOT find was Zone chocolate shakes, shelves all empty at Stater’s, Albertson’s, Rite Aid, and Savon.  Guess all you Zonies went shopping on Saturday! Thbbbbbbbbbbb!!

My new question is regarding dairy products:  When the block chart lists yogurt, milk or cottage cheese I am assuming they are referring to whole milk products.  CF #21 states that if you choose a “not fat ” protein you should double up on your fat blocks.  But what if you choose a “low fat” product like 2% milk or low-fat cottage cheese??

Nichole:  Here’s to our new “life-style” sister.  (Wait that sound’s wierd….)

Signature 

Posted: 14 August 2006 02:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Top Dawg
Total Posts:  7683
Joined  2004-08-09

Looking at Oroweat Carb Counting Bread (100% whole wheat):

Total Carbs 9
Dietary Fiber 3

I guess either way, 1 slice = one carb mini block. But do you subtract Dietary Fiber from total for Zone, or is that just in Atkins?

Signature 

We have too many heroes lost and not enough workout days to commemorate them. I think it’s fitting to always think of the men and women in service, whether military or peace officers and public safety, as we do our workouts. A bit of motivation to throw a little of our sweat and maybe a drop of blood on the floor in their honor.

http://laurarcrossfit.blogspot.com

There is no substitute for good coaching.

Posted: 14 August 2006 02:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Top Dawg
Total Posts:  7683
Joined  2004-08-09

[quote author=“Heather”]
My new question is regarding dairy products:  When the block chart lists yogurt, milk or cottage cheese I am assuming they are referring to whole milk products.  CF #21 states that if you choose a “not fat ” protein you should double up on your fat blocks.  But what if you choose a “low fat” product like 2% milk or low-fat cottage cheese??

Looking at the food lists in Enter the zone, the preferred dairy is the reduced fat dairy, such as 1% milk.

Signature 

We have too many heroes lost and not enough workout days to commemorate them. I think it’s fitting to always think of the men and women in service, whether military or peace officers and public safety, as we do our workouts. A bit of motivation to throw a little of our sweat and maybe a drop of blood on the floor in their honor.

http://laurarcrossfit.blogspot.com

There is no substitute for good coaching.

Posted: 14 August 2006 03:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Top Dawg
Total Posts:  1605
Joined  2004-08-19

count all the carbs and don’t eat bread.

Signature 

M/31/5’10”/175#

CrossFit Brand X Poway

1 of 2

‹‹ Interesting      Asthma Meds ››