Posted: 14 August 2006 03:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Top Dawg
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7683
Joined  2004-08-09

Thanks, LD.

(dang)

Signature 

We have too many heroes lost and not enough workout days to commemorate them. I think it’s fitting to always think of the men and women in service, whether military or peace officers and public safety, as we do our workouts. A bit of motivation to throw a little of our sweat and maybe a drop of blood on the floor in their honor.

http://laurarcrossfit.blogspot.com

There is no substitute for good coaching.

Posted: 14 August 2006 04:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Big Dawg
RankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  393
Joined  2006-08-01

Laura:

Here’s what I did today w/ the low carb Orowheat bread (LD -I promise not to eat it more than once or twice a week!) 

1 slice Orowheat Carb Counting bread:
9g Carbs, 4g Protein, 1.5g Fat
+ 1 slice Oscar Meyer White Turkey
0 Carbs, 4g Protein, 1.5g Fat
= 9gCarbs, 8g Protein, 3.0g Fat
going by the the CF journal #21, I counted this as one block with a 1g overage of protein. 

If I did this wrong someone please let me know.

Signature 

No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it.
-Hebrews 12:11

Posted: 14 August 2006 05:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Top Dawg
Total Posts:  7683
Joined  2004-08-09

Heather,

I don’t add in the random protein grams in the carb items when I make my blocks, so I would count it like this:

1 pc of lc bread = 1 carb block (don’t count the protein)
2 slices of turkey (to get 8 gr protein) = 1 protein block
Because the 1.5 gr fat in the bread and turkey is assumed within the zone program, you still need to add a fat block for 1.5 gr fat…3 almonds, maybe or a lowfat mayo?

this would probably be more satisfying and last you longer til your next meal. I’m not a “good” zone person though, so I could be off.

Signature 

We have too many heroes lost and not enough workout days to commemorate them. I think it’s fitting to always think of the men and women in service, whether military or peace officers and public safety, as we do our workouts. A bit of motivation to throw a little of our sweat and maybe a drop of blood on the floor in their honor.

http://laurarcrossfit.blogspot.com

There is no substitute for good coaching.

Posted: 14 August 2006 07:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Big Dawg
Joined  2006-08-01

The reason I did it this way is because on page 2 of the CF Journal it says: “There is an assumption that there is about 1.5g of fat in each block of protein so the total amount of fat needed per block meal is 3 grams”

Am I going overboard counting the gnat’s a**?  (Hey would that be another protein block??)

The sandwich was not the only block I ate at this meal.  I also had a 1 oz. piece of string cheese (1P) 1 peach (1C) and 1 macadamia (1F).  It was sufficiently filling. 

As a whole I counted the meal as 2 blocks

Signature 

No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it.

Posted: 14 August 2006 07:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Big Dawg
Joined  2006-08-01

Question on Macadamia nuts:

In the jar I bought they appear to be in halves (like roasted peanuts are).  I’ve never seen raw macadamias whole so I am unsure….....
Does one piece (half) equal one macadamia nut or do I get to eat two pieces? 

(Now I know I’m counting the gnat’s a**  :oops: )

Signature 

Posted: 14 August 2006 11:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  5197
Joined  2004-06-22

Go macro- not micro.
The more precise you are the better results you will derive form Zoning, however, if you drive yourself nuts in the processs it is hardly ever worth it.

The Zone Shakes I was referring to can only be purchased online through ZoneLabs.com. The type they sell in the store are the ZonePerfect brand and are extremely high sugar…

Remember with fats there is a huge difference between choosing butter and Olive Oil, Mayo and almonds. Go with the “good fats” as much as possible.

With the milk, since dairy fats are not the good type go with the low fat products.
The assumption of fat in the protein is just an avg for you to work most easily with, If you know that you have a non fat protein, eat some macadamias, almonds or avocado to balance.

Two halves equal one whole macadamia, but I think you knew that already…
Yes you can subtract fiber, from total grams

Signature 

“No man who refuses to bear arms in defense of his nation can give a sound reason why he should be allowed to live in a free country”  T. Roosevelt

“The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who are not.”  Thomas Jefferson”

“History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid” - Gen Eisenhower.

Posted: 15 August 2006 08:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Big Dawg
Joined  2006-08-01

Are all lettuces created equal?
The block chart has iceberg and romaine listed but what about all the other fancy types?  Should I count 6 cups of those as 1 block?

Does anyone know the block measurement for Tilapia Fillets?  We are having Tilapia (fish) for dinner but I can’t find a block measurement for it. 

FYI:  There was a paperback copy of “A Week in the Zone” at the used bookstore, “Books, Books, Books” as of today.  It has some recipies and shopping lists to go with them.

Signature 

Posted: 12 September 2006 10:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Top Dawg
Total Posts:  2570
Joined  2005-10-27

Lucky Dawg,
Do you really not eat any bread? I hadn’t been, but I recently found a tasty low carb option?  1 slice = 1 block

What kind of carbs do you eat? You don’t strike me as an asparagus and bell pepper guy.

Posted: 12 September 2006 02:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Big Dawg
Joined  2006-08-01

Just for the record…....Lucky Dog you were so RIGHT!! 

Splenda DOES taste bad!!  I am doing so much better without it.  I haven’t quite arrived at appreciating everything with it’s natural taste but it has gotten easier.  Guess you’re not so scary after all….........NOT! :wink:

Signature 

2 of 2

‹‹ Interesting      Asthma Meds ››