Man Dies Of Rabbit Flu In England
John Freeman, 29, a farmer from Aspall, Suffolk, England, is almost certainly the first human to catch rabbit flu and die. His mother has issued a warning. Freeman was infected with Parteurella multocida, became seriously ill and died within four days of showing symptoms.
His mother, Joan, said people need to know that this potentially fatal disease exists. She described her son as a “strong, strapping, healthy country man”. She added that she was amazed so little was known about this disease among farming folk.
Joan Freemans said “Once it is in the bloodstream, that’s it. If you get it unwittingly, not from an animal bite, the first thing you know about it is when you get a fever and by then you are the walking dead. Doctors did everything they could but it was too late, it is such a virulent disease. Everyone is so appalled that he should die in this way. It’s absolutely shocking.”