1 of 2
What are your staple Zone meals ? I need Help ...
Posted: 25 August 2006 09:27 AM   [ Ignore ]
Pack Member
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  208
Joined  2006-04-02

I’d like to have easy Zone meals that I can eat every day. The toughest part is getting in the Veggies. I don’t have time to cook them and I need to be able to bring my meals with me, on the go (with the exception of breakfast). Nicole on the Crossfit Board put me at 15 blocks a while ago. This is the diet I’ve been following lately.
BreastFast 5 Block Meal: 2 Salmon Burgers from Trader Joe’s 5P
              5 blocks worth of fruit 5C
              4 Blocks worth of fat from nuts 4F (Because I use 1 block of fat, olive oil to cook the fish.

Lunch 5 Block Meal: 1 1/4 cottage cheese 5 P Fat-Free
          1 Cup Frozen Blueberries 3C
            1 Piece Multi-grain   Toast 2C
            1 TBSP Promise Healthy Heart (Butter SUB) 5F
            15 Almonds 5F (Because the Protein source Cottage Cheese is fat-free)

Dinner 4 Block Meal: 4 OZ grilled Chicken 4P
        2 Cups Raw Broccoli 1C
        1.25 Cups Red Pepper 1C
        1/2 Cup Salsa 1C
        1 Block Of fruit 1C
        12 almonds 4f
1 Block Snack   1 Egg 1P
                  1 Block of fruit 1C
                  1 Block of fat

Posted: 25 August 2006 09:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Pack Member
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-04-02

Plus the Zone ain’t cheap I can barley afford to eat this way.

Posted: 26 August 2006 04:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Pack Member
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-04-02

Actually now that I started getting frozen grilled Chicken breasts from TJ"S andthe Frozen Salmon, it’s much more affordable.

Posted: 26 August 2006 05:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  14119
Joined  2004-06-18

Joe,
I eat almost the same thing every day.

Breakfast:
veggie sausages
apple or tangerine
peanut butter sandwhich

snack:
Chicken breast
piece of fruit
almonds

Lunch:
Chicken Breast
2 cups of vegetables (broccli, cauliflower, carrots)
almonds

snack:
Zone Bar

Dinner:
?

Signature 

All of life’s problems can be solved by heavy deadlifts.

M/54/5’11”/190

Posted: 26 August 2006 05:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Pack Member
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-04-02

Jeff,
    Do you get your protein blocks from the veggie sausage ( breakfast) ? Is that soy protien (i’ve heard that soy is a inferior protien) ? Just two Cups of Veggies ,isn’t that only 1 Zone carb block ? I’ll tell you, I would love to work in a Peanut Butter sandwich into my diet every day.

Posted: 26 August 2006 08:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Big Dawg
RankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  393
Joined  2006-08-01

I’m eating a lot less than you (sigh!!  rolleyes )  so you will have to “upsize”.  Thbbbbbbbb.  What a problem to have…...... 

Staples:

1/4c low fat cottage cheese - 1P
1/2c blueberries OR 1/2c grapes OR 1/2c blackberries - 1C
sprinkled w/ apx. 3 almonds worth of almond slivers - 1 F
(one block)

1/2 c low fat cottage cheese - 2P
1/2 c salsa - 1C
1/2 oz. crushed tortilla chips - 1C
5 black olives OR 6 almonds OR 6 cashews OR 1 tbsp guacamole - 2F
(two blocks)

2 oz. canned tuna - 2P
6 cups lettuce (I buy the bagged stuff)- 1C
1 cup tomato - 1C
2/3 tsp olive oil OR salad dressing w/ less than 3 carbs per serving - 2F
(2 blocks)

2 oz canned tuna - 2P
1 slice low carb bread - 2C
1 tsp light mayo - 1F
sprinkled w/ 1/4 tsp sunflower seeds
(2 blocks)

1c cherry or grape tomatoes (from Trader J’s) - 1C
1 oz. mozerella balls (ovilini packed in water from TJ’s) OR 1 1/2 oz. feta cheese - 1P
5 olives sliced - 1F
drizzled with aged balsamic vinegar from TJ’s (this is 3g Carbs per Tablespoon but you will only need about 1 teaspoon so I don’t count it. )
season w/ salt, pepper and basil

1 oz string cheese - 1P
1/2 apple OR 1/2 orange - 1C
3 almonds - 1F
(one block)

fill baggie w/:
sliced baby bell or string cheese 1 oz. - 1P
1/2c blueberries - 1C
3 almonds OR 3 cashews OR slivered almonds - 1F
(one block)

And of course
Zone BARS!
(2 blocks)

Signature 

No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it.
-Hebrews 12:11

Posted: 27 August 2006 01:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Pack Member
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-04-02

Heather,
        yeah that’s really a small amount of food, how is that working out for you ?  I notcie you and Jeff use the Zone bars, I checked them out they have High-Fructose corn syrup in them . I think on the Cross-Fit board someone has a recipe for making Zone bars.

Posted: 27 August 2006 01:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Pack Member
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-04-02

Here’s the Diet I’m going to follow starting today (almost exactly the same, with a few changes).

BreastFast 5 Block Meal: 2 Salmon Burgers from Trader Joe’s 5P
5 blocks worth of fruit 5C, if I get the TJ’s Salmon Roulettes I count the breadcrumbs in it as 1 carb block and subtract that from the Carb blocks eaten with the meal).
4 Blocks worth of fat from nuts 4F (Because I use 1 block of fat, olive oil to cook the fish.

Lunch 5 Block Meal: 5 OZ grilled Chicken 5P (Asian style Marinated Heat and Eat Grilled Chicken Breasts from TJ’s) I just heat them up on my George Forman Grill, easy and delicious.
2 Cups Raw Broccoli 1C
1.25 Cups Red Pepper 1C
1/2 Cup Salsa 1C
2 Block Of fruit 2C
12 almonds 4f
Or (I switch Lunch and Dinner around all the time it doesn’t matter which comes first)
Dinner 4 Block Meal: 1 cottage cheese 4 P Fat-Free
1 Cup Frozen Blueberries 3C
1 Slice Multi-grain toast 2C
1 TBSP Promise Healthy Heart (Butter SUB) 5F
15 Almonds 5F (Because the Protein source Cottage Cheese is fat-free)

1 Block Snack 1 Egg 1P
1 Block of fruit 1C
1 Block of fat

Posted: 27 August 2006 12:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Big Dawg
RankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  393
Joined  2006-08-01

The first 3 or 4 days I was STARVING!!!  I kept thinking, “HEY!  This Sears guy is a quack!  What’s he talking about you won’t feel hungry??”  Now it’s been 2 weeks and I feel much better.  I can hang about 4 hours no problem. 

I didn’t think I particularly had a portion size problem before I started, but apparently I must’ve been stuffing myself. 

The Zone bars I don’t eat every single day.  They are good to keep in my purse if I’m stuck somewhere unexpected with no food.

Signature 

No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it.
-Hebrews 12:11

Posted: 05 September 2006 07:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  5197
Joined  2004-06-22

Zone Bars are exactly that- a good backup when a fresh zoned meal is unavailable. ( The sugar is definately a down side)
It can be pricey to zone, but again it depends on choices more vegies
affordable protein… soy protein definately has its detractors. Not good if you have too much ( estrogens) but also a good backup. There are some peanut butters which are OK too, look for no trans fat, no (or low) sugar

Signature 

“No man who refuses to bear arms in defense of his nation can give a sound reason why he should be allowed to live in a free country”  T. Roosevelt

“The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who are not.”  Thomas Jefferson”

“History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid” - Gen Eisenhower.

Posted: 11 November 2006 02:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Top Dawg
Total Posts:  7683
Joined  2004-08-09

I’ve tried a couple of the recipes in the Zone issue of the CrossFit Journal and they are pretty good.

I modified one that is a variation of one of my favorites, cottage cheese and frozen strawberries;

1 cup milk
1 cup frozen strawberries
1/2 cup frozen blueberries
2 tbsp protein powder
1 scoop cashews

I subsituted 1/2 cup cottage cheese for the protein powder, added zzzzplenda and blended. It is like a soft frozen yogurt.

It makes 3 blocks and I split it up and put part in the freezer for later. YUM. Bradley likes it, too!

Signature 

We have too many heroes lost and not enough workout days to commemorate them. I think it’s fitting to always think of the men and women in service, whether military or peace officers and public safety, as we do our workouts. A bit of motivation to throw a little of our sweat and maybe a drop of blood on the floor in their honor.

http://laurarcrossfit.blogspot.com

There is no substitute for good coaching.

Posted: 12 November 2006 08:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Top Dawg
Total Posts:  1391
Joined  2006-01-31

breakfast: 5 block

3 sausage links
omelette with: 3 eggs, mushrooms, tomatoes, cheese
1/2 avocado

lunch: 5 block
4-5 oz deli meat (sliced turkey, chicken, roast beef, etc.)
1/2 avocado or handful of almonds
2 string cheese
two apples or 1 apple and 1 pear or 1 pear and 1 banana or 2 pears or… and so on.

snack: yogurt parfait or cottage cheese and fruit

post-workout: protein shake with whey and casein protein for immediate and moderately paced protein digestion and absortion into intestinal tract.

dinner: varies but usually involves dead cow, dead chicken, dead fish, dead buffalo, dead turkey, etc.

Posted: 05 December 2006 01:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Pack Member
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  259
Joined  2005-11-30

A few comments regarding what I have seen here.  Any bread or refined grain will cause an insulin response.  The more fiber the less the insulin production.  Stick with whole grains and limit yourself to one slice of bread or ˝ cup of whole grain per meal.

Peanuts are bad for you and there is lots you can read on this on the CrossFit site.  Use almond butter as a substitute. Celery with nut butter is an old favorite. 

Use real butter.  Polyurethane foam is made from vegetable oil.  So is margarine, and it too is a plasticized product.  Please don’t eat it, or you will end up with gallbladder problems among other things.

Black olives have a high level of process chemicals in them so they should be avoided.

Raw foods from the cabbage family are high in oxalic acid and should be cooked.  For salads, cook and then chill for the next day.

Soy products have now been linked to several health concerns, one being they mimic estrogen in the body and contribute to breast, ovarian and prostrate cancer. 

Butter fat is utilized by the body differently than animal fat from flesh and skin.  So, cheese fat is better for you than meat fat, but because of the high animal fat content, it should be used in moderation. Use white cheese.  Yellow cheese is colored with food dyes that are garbage.  Tillamook makes a very nice white cheddar.  Mozzarella usually has less fat per gram of protein.

Watch the salt, baking soda, and baking powder sources you use.  Some of these have aluminum which has been linked to dementia.  A good product for salt is Real Salt.  But you then need to keep track of iodine.  Buy a dark tincture and paint a 3” patch on your hip or similar location.  If it is gone in 24 hours repeat until some still remains.  You can’t overdose.

I have posted some ideas in the sections under Zone Foods.  My favorite quick veggie snack on the go is one bean salad.  Open a can of green beans, drain and spray with some Italian dressing.  You can keep these anywhere for a quick bite.  For 1 block I also eat two boiled egg whites with a half a piece of fruit and three nuts. 

Note how many people develop diseased as they go through life.  These usually are not caused buy one event like eating poisoned water melon.  They are usually caused by an accumulation of pour eating, and environmental exposure.  You can limit your exposure to both by eating foods from varied sources.  You can do this by eating a wide variety of foods.  My rule of thumb, if I ate it last week, I will not buy it this week.  The more sources of food you eat, the higher likelihood you will get the nutrients you need. 

Please see my post on “Water Pollution” on the Crossfit site under Nutrition.

Signature 

Those that do, can; those who don’t think you’re lucky.
Those that have never tried are the first to criticize.
Those that blame others can never improve.
Those that have no goals, go nowhere.
Those that accept little, get little.

Posted: 05 December 2006 04:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Top Dawg
Total Posts:  2570
Joined  2005-10-27

Dr. Sears newsletter this month cites a recent Italian study that links eating bread to renal cancer. Whole grains or not, it’s best to keep bread consumption to a minimum. Sub a corn tortilla or, better, wrap your protein in lettuce. Get your fiber from veggies and some fruits.

Posted: 05 December 2006 03:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Top Dawg
Total Posts:  1605
Joined  2004-08-19

I work by a grocery store, so zone lunches are pretty easy for me. A standard 4 block lunch: 4 oz. deli chicken breast, 1 small container of berries, 1 pear, 4 macadamia nuts, 1 large glass of water.

Signature 

M/31/5’10”/175#

CrossFit Brand X Poway

Posted: 07 December 2006 05:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Top Dawg
Total Posts:  7683
Joined  2004-08-09

I have a tough time with long lists of things you shouldn’t eat.

:?

I am sticking with the basics and foods that Kim suggested to me in our last private:

Chicken breast
Beef - grilled
Pork Chops (this is my addition)
Apples
String Cheese
Broccoli
Almonds
Cashews
Beef Jerky in a pinch

No sugar. (except for special occasions)

I use cottage cheese (even tho it’s dairy) and allow myself my morning coffee with a little half and half (i know…) and splenda (I know) and I usually make a latte in the afternoon, at work and switched to 2% milk for it.

I am struggling with eating enough vegetables, but since I like apples I can make up my deficit with their crunchy goodness.

I really would like to thank Kim for giving me some good ways to put together meals and not feel like I’m missing out of tasty foods. Breakfast is a lot less challenging these days. Still fine tuning and I’m not even close to perfect. It’s a journey.

Signature 

We have too many heroes lost and not enough workout days to commemorate them. I think it’s fitting to always think of the men and women in service, whether military or peace officers and public safety, as we do our workouts. A bit of motivation to throw a little of our sweat and maybe a drop of blood on the floor in their honor.

http://laurarcrossfit.blogspot.com

There is no substitute for good coaching.

1 of 2