2 of 6
U.S. children showing hardening of arteries
Posted: 29 December 2006 01:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5197
Joined  2004-06-22

Is it the 65 pounds of sugar most kids ingest each year, or the seven bad amoebas from the water ?
Is it the overuse of the car, not legs or bike or is it the preservatives sprayed onto non organic broccolli ? 
Maybe both, but
I will suggest perspective on where to start to make changes… it sounds like excuse making (although it may not be) simply due to the proportion of the contributing factors to the problem…

Signature 

“No man who refuses to bear arms in defense of his nation can give a sound reason why he should be allowed to live in a free country”  T. Roosevelt

“The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who are not.”  Thomas Jefferson”

“History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid” - Gen Eisenhower.

Posted: 30 December 2006 01:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Pack Member
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  272
Joined  2004-08-19

[quote author=“BlueBugofJustice”]Is it the 65 pounds of sugar most kids ingest each year, or the seven bad amoebas from the water ?
Is it the overuse of the car, not legs or bike or is it the preservatives sprayed onto non organic broccolli ? 

I think it’s both, though not necessarily directly. Sugar makes you fat directly. But maybe asthma (exacerbated by air pollution) makes you scared so you don’t play outside and then you’re fat indirectly. I think we’re a horribly unhealthy population for many reasons…diet and exercise and pollution. I also think they’re equally valid concerns but affect people in different ways. And I think there are more than seven bad amoebas.

Years and years and YEARS ago, Adelle Davis wrote about the effects of refined sugar and grains on children (and adults). People called her a quack and continued to eat their Wonder Bread. Today, many of her ideas have become nutritional fact and are tremendously popular, though no one gives her credit for them. I think the same will prove true for pollution.

DD…You do work hard!! smile My mom is blessed with a great metabolism. She could sit around, eat chocolate cake, and not gain much weight at all. She’d be thin but not very healthy. It’s a lot of work to be healthy nowadays…especially because so much junk gluts the marketplace. I think you do a great job. (P.S. I miss you, by the way.)

Posted: 30 December 2006 10:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Top Dawg
Total Posts:  2570
Joined  2005-10-27

I imagine we will find most bad things are in some measure connected to our increasingly unhealthy environment. For example, I am continually surprised by the number of people I meet who have some sort of thyroid disease. Is the increase in numbers because it is now more effectively diagnosed? I think not. I believe it can probably be traced to our environment and eating/drinking habits.

Still, regardless of the number of bad amoeba, it remains dangerous to offer these types of explanations (in some cases excuses) too readily to a society of quick-fix individuals who largely fail to take responsibility for self. Think about it. It’s no longer our fault if we are obese, addicted, dishonest, compulsive, uneducated, or abusive-to name a few. I absolutely believe there are those who have legitimate issues. But I have a mother who has suffered heinous and horrible experiences in her life and has chosen to rise above. If she can do it, most people can. Yes, there are social and environmental concerns, etc. But ultimately, the responsibility lies squarely on the shoulders of each individual to make good choices. Ask Deb, she hasn’t had a french fry in months.

Posted: 30 December 2006 11:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Total Posts:  8569
Joined  2004-07-08

Petunia always up for a good debate. Must be some kind of college thingy. Just like I don’t have time to bleed, I don’t have time to worry about breathing. I miss you too. 8)

Signature 

In God we Trust all others we monitor

Posted: 30 December 2006 03:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Administrator
Joined  2004-06-22

65 pounds of sugar ( the actual amount is MUCH higher, 153 pounds in 1998) 
Used to make a point…

My mom was known in our community as a nut ( generally) but also as a Health food nut. She read Adelle Davis, Pritkin, Linus Pauling and Prevention endlessly. I got sesame sticks and carob bars in my Easter basket. In the 70’s. Not many people had even put down their cigarettes at that time.
I am well aware of the good and bad other variables involved in health, diet and nutrition.
However, there are far too many variables to pick one or two and say it is just “this one”
It just does not make scientific sense.
My point is that the obvious, simple to fix ones, and long known as Petunia mentioned, are easy to avoid when given so many other options and possibilities.
I do not discount environmental poison, it is just that, it is neither a crisis or a right wing conspiracy.
Too many people use all the “possible” variables as a crutch.

Signature 

“No man who refuses to bear arms in defense of his nation can give a sound reason why he should be allowed to live in a free country”  T. Roosevelt

“The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who are not.”  Thomas Jefferson”

“History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid” - Gen Eisenhower.

Posted: 02 January 2007 12:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Pack Member
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-08-19

[quote author=“BlueBugofJustice”]I do not discount environmental poison, it is just that, it is neither a crisis or a right wing conspiracy.
Too many people use all the “possible” variables as a crutch.

Right-wing conspiracy? Naw, I don’t believe in that. But a crisis? I think it definitely is, and I think if you lived in Mexico City or Detroit or LA, you might see it as more a crisis. But I could be wrong. Maybe the yellow sky wouldn’t trouble you?

Tell me, though…how is saying sugar’s a crisis and pollution isn’t “not discounting environmental poison”? There’s a lot of scientific evidence to support both as the cause of health problems. I completely agree that people tend to pick one problem or cause and see only that, likely because it’s easier to focus on a single problem than several. But are we really incapable of multitasking? Are we seriously that dumb? Maybe…but maybe because we treat everyone like they’re that dumb. I mean…if we took a look at all the factors and tried to do our best about each of them, I think we’d be better off. I haven’t seen anyone in here saying sugar doesn’t make people fat or that exercise isn’t good for you, only that other factors can also contribute to poor health.

I think Go_Irish makes a really good point (Hi, Go_Irish! I don’t know you, but howdy!).  Yes, our society is filled with lazy losers who will grab onto any excuse so as to absolve themselves of personal responsibility. That’s absolutely true. But what I don’t see is how there’s a difference between saying “I’m fat and I eat junk but there’s nothing I can do about it; let me go throw some trash in the storm drain and pollute the water supply” and “I’m fat and I drink bad water and there’s nothing I can do about; let me go eat some fast food.” It’s all bad. And I’m telling you, not eating sugar isn’t going to protect us from cigarette smoke, yellow skies, dead trees, and melting ozones because pollution and bad eating are problems with different causes but similar results: bad health. We need to attack them both and, like Go_Irish said, take responsibility and make good choices…but about them both.

Big D…hey, man, Jeff and Mikki told me to read the forum. I was staying away and keeping my liberal mouth shut! I still miss you, though. How’re those sai sets coming along without me?  :wink:

Posted: 02 January 2007 12:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  14101
Joined  2004-06-18

Petunia,
I happen to miss your liberal mouth.  (Now you see that just sounds nasty) :?

Signature 

All of life’s problems can be solved by heavy deadlifts.

M/54/5’11”/190

Posted: 02 January 2007 12:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Pack Member
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-08-19

[quote author=“Garddawg”]Petunia,
I happen to miss your liberal mouth.  (Now you see that just sounds nasty) :?

Aw…thanks! I appreciate it…nasty sound ‘n all.  LOL

I need to post more, if only so I’m not forever a mutt. I want to be a bull dawg!!

Posted: 03 January 2007 12:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Total Posts:  8569
Joined  2004-07-08

If you want to play with the Big Dawgs then you need to come up to the Dawg pen!!

What Sai set?? We are teaching “Cow Chip Throwing Set”

Signature 

In God we Trust all others we monitor

Posted: 03 January 2007 04:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Top Dawg
Joined  2005-10-27

Petunia, Actually I think we’ve met on several occasions. I’m pretty sure we’ve been trick-or-treating together.

I enjoy your posts. Keep ‘em coming.

Posted: 03 January 2007 03:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Pack Member
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-08-19

[quote author=“Go_Irish!”]Petunia, Actually I think we’ve met on several occasions. I’m pretty sure we’ve been trick-or-treating together.

We have??!!?? Who are you? (Not Deb, right? I thought Deb was DD?)

Big D….ah, cow chip throwing. Now I REALLY miss you.  :wink:

Posted: 04 January 2007 02:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Top Dawg
Joined  2005-10-27

Cyndi. Long, brown hair with a teenager and a younger boy and girl. Talked to you about CrossFit while walking down Main Street a few Octobers ago. Ran into you at the mad science b-day party last year. Maybe I have you pegged as the wrong person.

Posted: 04 January 2007 11:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Pack Member
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-08-19

[quote author=“Go_Irish!”]Cyndi. Long, brown hair with a teenager and a younger boy and girl. Talked to you about CrossFit while walking down Main Street a few Octobers ago. Ran into you at the mad science b-day party last year. Maybe I have you pegged as the wrong person.

Cyndi!! I know who you are. And yes, I’m the right person. This morning, I was wondering, and I thought…hmmm…I wonder if it’s Cyndi. Very cool. smile

Posted: 05 January 2007 04:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Administrator
Joined  2004-06-22

Petunia

I am talking simple proportional response.
I keep elaborating, but your insisting that I am discounting things, because I see them as proportionally smaller, crisis ? nah !  issues, yes.
I do think that while consuming 153 pounds of sugar, and drinking mostly packaged products, that the few tainted amoebas, is a smaller issue, not a crisis. Certainly, I would address the elephant in the room, first.

(As far as sewers and where we live, obviously, the level of tainted water, yellow skies, and the like are vastly different. My asumption was that we were referring to our local environment )

Signature 

Posted: 06 January 2007 06:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
Pack Member
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  259
Joined  2005-11-30

Wow:  It seems my desire to provide information has stirred up a lot of feelings on the board. 

This information was directed to help the portion of the population that has a true metabolic problem or has been diagnosed with depression.  If you eat an 11 block diet for a woman or a 15 block diet for a man and can control your weight with five hours of exercise a week this qualifies ďclinicallyĒ as a fast metabolism.  Youíre a normal person that works hard to keep your weight under control.  No slap in the face intended, this is hard to do, and by the looks of the majority population you should be proud you have the determination to keep it up. 

Over the last four years I have learned that you can never really know the struggles people have to overcome, emotionally, physically, and health wise to function every day.  It is too bad that all people donít place health as a priority, but I have learned, thatís OK.  I donít value people nor love people based on size, strength or looks.  grin  What I do care about is trying to help people when they are ready to become healthier.  That is the spirit in which I take the time to research information that might be helpful to those who need it, and offer it here.  It is the Crossfit community that helped me unravel my own obstacles, and I want to give back.

It does no good to talk about how bad the public is unless we talk about what we can do to change it.

If you drink water, I hope that is all of you, please read this link regarding water pollution, there is a lot of information regarding the problems with both tap and bottled water.  I have been watching people at restaurants, and the majority of people drink tap water.  http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/23/32459.html  Itís family friendly.

Mikki:  Perhaps you have not been following the information regarding the huge increases in the numbers of people suffering with depression.  There has not been a single person in both Mike and my family trees that had any form of depression or moodiness, ever.  They dealt with WWII, the depression, polio and the time before antibiotics.  You canít tell me their life was not stressful.  At this time we have seven people between our two families that have been diagnosed.  Three of my ten staff have had this problem, two having full brake downs (maybe itís their boss)  wink  I am not OK with one in ten women getting breast cancer and one and six men getting prostate cancer.  I think these numbers are huge.  My sister got ovarian cancer, my mother breast cancer and my brother in law now has prostrate cancer.  Your father in law died of prostrate cancer.  Catastrophe is subjective.  I am interested to hear what does it take to meet your criteria? 

I apologize to my son for making his life public in this post.  He has had so many overwhelming things to overcome in his life, he is my inspiration, and has taught me a lot.

Signature 

Those that do, can; those who don’t think you’re lucky.
Those that have never tried are the first to criticize.
Those that blame others can never improve.
Those that have no goals, go nowhere.
Those that accept little, get little.

2 of 6