Zone on the Go
Posted: 15 January 2007 09:59 AM   [ Ignore ]
Top Dawg
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  802
Joined  2006-08-04

Hi.
I was wondering if anyone has any ideas or suggestions considering how to “squeeze in” a good zone meal when you are eating out, or when you have about 2,7 seconds to grab something while working.
Please advice…..pretty please?

Signature 

Death is natures way of saying that you failed Selection

Posted: 15 January 2007 01:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Top Dawg
Total Posts:  2570
Joined  2005-10-27

Restaurant
-chicken breast w/ veggies
-salads with some type of meat on top, dressing on the side for portion control
-corn tortillas with meat and veggies-depending on the menu & ask them to put any sauce on the side for portion control
-stir fry, sometimes has a lot of oil, but it still is better than a Fatburger with fries-ask for extra veggies to sub for rice or noodles
-burger without the bun or only one side of bun, plus veggies and/or fruit
You get the idea, just sub veggies for any rice, pasta or potatoes. Thanks to Dr. Atkins & the South Beach Diet, this is easy to do in most places.

Grocery store quickies-and I mean food items-
string cheese, turkey slices, fruit, precut veggies, almonds, non-fat plain yogurt (I know, I don’t eat it either. But some people love it), Zone bars to get to the next meal.

I’ll keep thinking.

Posted: 15 January 2007 02:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  5197
Joined  2004-06-22

Albacore Tuna Steak with Lemon & Pepper (Foil Package) box of sweet grape tomatoes and 10 almonds at any grocery store, but easy to carry with you, needs no refrigeration.

SS We thought you just bit the heads off chickens.

Signature 

“No man who refuses to bear arms in defense of his nation can give a sound reason why he should be allowed to live in a free country”  T. Roosevelt

“The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who are not.”  Thomas Jefferson”

“History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid” - Gen Eisenhower.

Posted: 15 January 2007 02:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  8569
Joined  2004-07-08

SS Jack In The Box Tacos!

Signature 

In God we Trust all others we monitor

Posted: 15 January 2007 02:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Top Dawg
Total Posts:  7683
Joined  2004-08-09

SS, try prepackaging your chicken heads at the beginning of the week…
hehe

I have been wondering how those albacore steaks taste.

Signature 

We have too many heroes lost and not enough workout days to commemorate them. I think it’s fitting to always think of the men and women in service, whether military or peace officers and public safety, as we do our workouts. A bit of motivation to throw a little of our sweat and maybe a drop of blood on the floor in their honor.

http://laurarcrossfit.blogspot.com

There is no substitute for good coaching.

Posted: 15 January 2007 06:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Top Dawg
Joined  2006-08-04

Darn chickens keep getting away…I am too slow.
Thank you all for the inputs I have never heard of Albacore Tuna Steak, but I will make a great effort to find it. Any fruits to stay away from?
I am currently TRYING to do something like this:
Non Fat yoghurt (yeah I am one of “them” people) and PB&J in the morning.
Some sort of chicken salad for lunch.
Dinner is always a problem…..usually some sort of sandwiches.
I have 2 snacks in between, usually fruit, nuts or something simmilar.
I don’t think I will be able to strictly follow it, but I want to eat healthier, you know?

Signature 

Posted: 16 January 2007 02:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Big Dawg
RankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  393
Joined  2006-08-01

McDonalds:

Grilled chicken sandwich w/ NO dressing
Eat chicken, lettuce and tomato, toss the bun

Order their yogurt + fruit thingie it has grapes & apples (don’t remember what’s it’s called) toss the candied almonds. 

Add a side salad (toss crutons and portion control the dressing)

Signature 

No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it.
-Hebrews 12:11

Posted: 16 January 2007 03:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
Joined  2004-06-22

High glycemic fruits to stay away from are primarily pineapple, banana, raisins and dried fruit.  Remember they are still ok in small doses.. best to use the dark fruits and berries blueberries blackberries rasberries strawberries contain the most anti-oxidants.

Signature 

“No man who refuses to bear arms in defense of his nation can give a sound reason why he should be allowed to live in a free country”  T. Roosevelt

“The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who are not.”  Thomas Jefferson”

“History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid” - Gen Eisenhower.

Posted: 16 January 2007 10:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Stray Dawg
RankRank
Total Posts:  19
Joined  2007-01-10

It may not be zone perfect but here is what i like in the AM. Container of yogurt, organic oatmeal with flax seeds, 50grams of protein powder and a handful of blueberries. Tends to be around 500 calories but they are good ones. Also, I grill a couple of pounds of chicken on sunday, and through them over salad for lunch each day. Snacks of nuts and fruit and some protein shakes 2x a day as well. Each evening it takes me about 10 minutes to through it all together. I put it all in a cooler and take it to work with me. Dinner is what ever my wife makes but it is usual beef or fish, veggies and brown rice or sweet potatoes. Everything is organic as well. If I keep it this tight, on the weekend i will have eggs and toast and a salad each day and cheat for 2 meals on the weekend. Those consist of whatever I want to eat and definately not zone perfect. I grew up in an Italian family, so pizza, pasta and good bread are a necessity. If I sytematicaly cheet, It is easier to abstain throughout the week. My 2 cents.

Posted: 17 January 2007 07:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Top Dawg
Joined  2006-08-04

Thanks to everybody who gas “chimied in” with suggestions and advise.
I am still trying to get there, but I think I am getting there. However…..does anyone know how long you “dragg-ass” (i.e. being tired, grumpy etc etc) untill the supposed energy burst show up? Only good thing comming out of that is that my co-workers don’t even come close to me now… LOL

Signature 

Posted: 17 January 2007 12:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Administrator
Joined  2004-06-22

about two weeks. For some just 3-5 days.  Did you get rid of the sugar too ?

Signature 

Posted: 17 January 2007 03:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Top Dawg
Total Posts:  1605
Joined  2004-08-19

Can you find a grocery or market?

Signature 

M/31/5’10”/175#

CrossFit Brand X Poway

Posted: 17 January 2007 03:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Top Dawg
Total Posts:  1605
Joined  2004-08-19

if you’re eating clean, you shouldn’t be wearin’ down the shag.

Signature 

M/31/5’10”/175#

CrossFit Brand X Poway

Posted: 17 January 2007 10:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Top Dawg
Joined  2006-08-04

I am trying to get rid of sugar even though it is sneaking in a little every once in a while. Per grocery store, I have acces to one on a limited basis and it’s not a very good one…. What should I concentrate on to get that I can “hoard” and bring with me for work?

Signature 

Posted: 17 January 2007 11:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Top Dawg
Total Posts:  7683
Joined  2004-08-09

Apples! String Cheese. Almonds. They generally keep well. A fridge will keep the cheese longer.

You can bring boiled eggs to work too if you can keep them cool. I take cottage cheese, but some people don’t like it.

A lot of people feel tired and crabby at first (usually about 2 weeks) but probably like LD said, it might be the food choices rather than the amount.

Signature 

We have too many heroes lost and not enough workout days to commemorate them. I think it’s fitting to always think of the men and women in service, whether military or peace officers and public safety, as we do our workouts. A bit of motivation to throw a little of our sweat and maybe a drop of blood on the floor in their honor.

http://laurarcrossfit.blogspot.com

There is no substitute for good coaching.