Education: trainers and trainees shall not evade it!
Posted: 21 March 2007 01:32 AM   [ Ignore ]
Top Dawg
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1391
Joined  2006-01-31

Education is a big factor in proper training.  Those that are uninformed or not completely informed lack the ability to fully understand what is logically and scientifically right and wrong.

Mark Rippetoe would agree, as this is one of his philosophies.  He completely understands how big of a role education plays in fitness.  That’s why he has written two books (and finishing his third) on educating people in barbell training.

For those that do not know Coach Rippetoe, he is a coach at CrossFit Wichita Falls, TX, and one of the premiere gurus when it comes to barbell training, aka squatting, deadlifting, pressing, and olympic lifts (specifically the clean).  He also has two published books, Starting Strength and Practical Programming, that talk about barbell training in detail, with good humor and intelligence.

I won’t say any of you HAVE to read the two books.  I will say that if you do, it will enrich your lives and you will walk away with a 1000% (yes, 1000%) better understanding of barbell training, slow lifting, and good technique.  Furthermore, if you ever end up training someone else, you will be more knowledgeable and your trainees will love you for it.

I know Jeff has Starting Strength for sure so skim through it and then buy it, then buy practical programming to understand how to build a program that will make you STRONG.

Bottomline:  Read the books.  Privates with your coaches (Jeff, Mikki, Kim, etc.).  Train.

Posted: 21 March 2007 01:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  5197
Joined  2004-06-22

Gimpy,
There is a hidden section on our forum, for Brand X Trainers, in that thread we talk about continuing education and Rippetoe’s books have definately been mentioned. Also we have coaching clarifications, etc.

Signature 

“No man who refuses to bear arms in defense of his nation can give a sound reason why he should be allowed to live in a free country”  T. Roosevelt

“The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who are not.”  Thomas Jefferson”

“History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid” - Gen Eisenhower.

Posted: 21 March 2007 02:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Boxer
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  531
Joined  2004-08-06

Here, here Gimpy. I am in full agreement with you. Whether you are a Coach, Trainer or Trainee(ie client), we can all only reap the benefits from continuing to educate ourselves.

There is such a vast amount of information out there. Just look amongst yourselves and the CrossFit community…WOW, and I mean WOW. I am overwhelmed everytime a large group of CrossFitters come together. The saying, “You learn something new everyday.” is certainly true at a seminar.
Just sit back and listen to all the conversaions.

I have come away from all of our coaches, Glassman, Burgener, Martin, Rippetoe with more knowledge, a new twist in training, etc.

As for Rippetoe’s books, yes, buy or borrow them. If you borrow them you’ll surely end up with your own copy before you know it.
Having worked hands on(stop snickering LL & GD) with Rippetoe at last February’s Seminar I can tell you that my deadlift and backsquat have improved tremendously.

So….keep on Coaching, Training and by all means Learning

Signature 

“The greats often became great because they continued to believe in themselves despite apparant failures”

Posted: 21 March 2007 04:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  14046
Joined  2004-06-18

I have both books.  As far as continuing ed, if you aren’t your doing yourself and more importantly your clients a disservice.  I would again make the offer to our trainers; If you have trouble with a movement let me know, we will work out a time to work on it.  If you find that your clients are not progressing on a movement let me know, we’ll work on it.

Signature 

All of life’s problems can be solved by heavy deadlifts.

M/54/5’11”/190

Posted: 21 March 2007 04:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
Joined  2004-06-18

And speaking of continuing education:

Describe the connection between functional movements, power, intensity and results.

Functional movements invariably depend on the efficient application of power.
Increases in power invariably increases the intensity.
Increases in intensity invariably increase the result.
Lincoln

Intensity = power or work performed measured by time, functional movements create greater power outputs moving heavier loads a longer distance quickly, intensity (power, functional movements) maximizes results through strength gains, fat burning, muscle growth etc.
Dan Colson

Functional movements are uniquely capable of expressing power, i.e., moving large loads, long distances, quickly.

“Intensity” has been defined by exercise physiologists as “power” and is the independent variable most commonly correlated with maximizing favorable physiological adaptations.
Coach

Signature 

M/54/5’11”/190

Posted: 21 March 2007 06:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Top Dawg
Total Posts:  2570
Joined  2005-10-27

One of the great things about being a trainer at Brand X is I feel completely supported. I can ask any question about any subject and get a well-informed, well-thought-out answer. Coach & Mikki are two of the most knowledgeable people in the CrossFit community, and I draw on their expertise often. In addition, I receive a great deal of information from them regarding where to find other great resources. In fact, they told me about the Rippetoe books you mentioned, and I have them both in my personal library. As Mikki mentioned, those of us who have access to the trainer thread receive a great deal of information and have an opportunity to discuss efficacy and consistency in training. There is no shortage of opportunities to learn and improve as a Brand X trainer.

Posted: 21 March 2007 06:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Top Dawg
Total Posts:  1391
Joined  2006-01-31

I’m glad you guys take the initiative to make good things happen at B-X!

Trainees should be reading these books as well.  They’re fantastic and they can only help you help yourselves AND help your trainer make you stronger.

Posted: 21 March 2007 06:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
Joined  2004-06-18

Gimpy,
The threads you started have been great.  One of the things I have found in my years in the martial arts is that martial arts instructors oftne seem to want their students to think they know everything.  Not a good place to work from. 
We should always be willing to recognize our weaknesses, whether it is in training or the ability to understand and communicate a technique.  Likewise I think we should always be working to change those weaknesses into strengths.

Signature 

M/54/5’11”/190

Posted: 21 March 2007 06:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Top Dawg
Total Posts:  7683
Joined  2004-08-09

I have starting strength. I will have to get the Practical Programming book…

There is an amazing amount of knowledge at in the CrossFit communtiy and in particular at Brand X. Anytime I have a chance to listen in on coversations with trainers I do. Knowing WHY you are doing something a certain way is very empowering.

Signature 

We have too many heroes lost and not enough workout days to commemorate them. I think it’s fitting to always think of the men and women in service, whether military or peace officers and public safety, as we do our workouts. A bit of motivation to throw a little of our sweat and maybe a drop of blood on the floor in their honor.

http://laurarcrossfit.blogspot.com

There is no substitute for good coaching.

Posted: 28 March 2007 07:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  5197
Joined  2004-06-22

“Stick to the basics and when you feel you’ve mastered them it’s time to start all over again, begin anew - again with the basics - this time paying closer attention.” 

-Coach Glassman

Signature 

“No man who refuses to bear arms in defense of his nation can give a sound reason why he should be allowed to live in a free country”  T. Roosevelt

“The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who are not.”  Thomas Jefferson”

“History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid” - Gen Eisenhower.