Zone shake powder and the ZonePerfect bars?
Posted: 19 August 2007 12:51 PM   [ Ignore ]
Terrier
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  56
Joined  2006-11-20

Basically where could I order a big thing of the powder to make zone shakes. I’ve heard that the Zone Perfect shakes are WAY too high in sugar but there are other one’s available online. And are the bars too high in sugar too? I know fresh made is better but I’m trying to work with what my parents buy for the household and it’s not real healthy. My mom will allow for a couple of special requests each week. I got her to buy a bag of frozen chicken breasts which I thought was great until I saw how much sodium they contained. :( Does any of the sodium come out when you cook them or is it still there no matter what?

Posted: 19 August 2007 02:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4864
Joined  2004-08-27

Hi Cathy. The “Zone Perfect” products and Dr. Sears’ Zone products are not quite the same thing. However, a lot of us here at Brand X use both products. We get the Zone shakes from Dr. Sears’ website (http://www.zoneliving.com) and we eat Zone Perfect bars from the store. Yes, they do have a bit of sugar, but if you’ve cut out sugar in the rest of your diet, it’s doable. You can also try Detour bars, which have half the sugar but don’t taste as good.  :D The Zone Perfect shakes are 2 blocks but you have to be careful what you mix them with. As far as the chicken, I wouldn’t be too concerned. If you follow a Zone lifestyle and you CrossFit regularly and drink enough water, sodium isn’t really an issue. Most of us have really good blood pressure to prove it! The chicken is an important part of your protein intake (keep laughing Jeff) and outweighs the sodium concern. I hope that helps! Feel free to ask more questions. There are a lot of people with answers here.

Signature 

I hate burpees
I hate box jumps

Posted: 20 August 2007 07:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Top Dawg
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1391
Joined  2006-01-31

Hi Cathy,

We should clarify a few things.  Zone shakes, by definition, are just shakes that adhere to Zone diet prescriptions.  If you want to make a 4 block zone shake, you would have to satisfy the following protein/carb/fat requirements:

1 Block = 9g carbs, 7g protein, 1.5g (or 3g, depending on source) fat

So a 4 block shake would consist of 36g carbs, 28g protein, and 4.5g (or 9g) fat.

Ok, so you already know this.  What can you do to make this?

Buy protein powder, some supplement that is categorized as a carbohydrate supplement, and your favorite source of fat (olive oil, flax seed oil, fish oil, heavy whipping cream, whatever you want)

http://www.bulknutrition.com is a good online vendor.

Posted: 30 August 2007 03:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Terrier
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  56
Joined  2006-11-20

My brother bought the cheap off-brand protein powder and actually started gagging at the taste. Do you know of any brands and flavors that taste better?
And is this what you meant by a carb supplement? http://www.bulknutrition.com/?products_id=880 Any whole foods I can use or is maltodextrin actual food instead of an artificial ingredient? I would try more for zone meals but that’s very hard in my house with what my mom buys and I really don’t like meat very much. I can’t even find the ZonePerfect shakes around me. All everybody has is the bars. Would places like GNC have them?

Posted: 05 September 2007 09:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Pack Member
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  186
Joined  2007-05-26

This is what I use.  It tastes great (especially in milk - which allows you to get both whey and casein protein in large amounts, although I would reccommend using 1% or skim milk) and is low in calories and fat. 

I have the vanilla kind and I’m not a big vanilla fan in general.  I’ve found it tastes so good that I’ll drink it for the taste, although the 22g of protein sure does make me feel better about it smile

Signature 

"There is some factor in man, some form of special adaptation which prompts a few individuals to exploits which, however purposeless that they may seem, are of value to the survival of the race."  J.R.L. Anderson, "The Ulysses Factor"