Helping Out Newbies
Posted: 09 April 2008 05:31 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  683
Joined  2004-07-06

This may be a bit of a sticky subject but I would like to address it.  The general atmosphere of Brand X has been and will always be outgoing and friendly. We are all anxious to welcome newcomers and share our joy of being a BX member. This is great and we want to see it continue.

I do have to ask that when it comes to training and giving advice we need to leave this to the instructors and certified trainers. There are a couple of reasons for this.

First off, as we all know newbies are ramped up slowly into crossfitting to avoid injury, and discouragement at the same time as perfecting good form. Coach Glassman and Coach Jeff have worked very hard to make sure that new people doing first workouts get the most from their first crossfitting experiences while avoiding injuries.

Secondly, unless you have been through the certfications (especially the specialized programs-such was the weight lifitng/training) you are not going to be able to properly coach the person which could result in injury.

At any given time there are at least 3-4 trainers available.  They are always willing to stop and help someone out as well as answer questions. If you do notice something that is potentially hazardous, please inform a trainer or instructor.
On that thought, please do not ask the trainer running the class questions etc while they are setting up the class. Please find another trainer to help you out if needed.

I have addressed this to crossfit but it also goes for our self-defense and Kenpo classes. Please leave the instruction and corrections to the instructors.

If you notice a newcomer or someone that is kind of new to BX, please welcome them and make them feel at home. If they have questions or need help, please get a trainer or instructor. We want everyone to enjoy their Brand X experience as much as you do. :wink:

Signature 

Life isn’t about surviving the storm~It is about learning how to dance in the rain…

Be honorable yourself if you wish to associate with honorable people.

Posted: 09 April 2008 12:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5197
Joined  2004-06-22

Thanks DD.

So the Terry Tate for the self appointed Brand X spokesperson will be…..

Signature 

“No man who refuses to bear arms in defense of his nation can give a sound reason why he should be allowed to live in a free country”  T. Roosevelt

“The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who are not.”  Thomas Jefferson”

“History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid” - Gen Eisenhower.

Posted: 13 April 2008 01:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
Joined  2004-06-22

Rereading this and want to clarify that DD is referring to Brand X the physical location and not the Forum. smile

Signature 

“No man who refuses to bear arms in defense of his nation can give a sound reason why he should be allowed to live in a free country”  T. Roosevelt

“The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who are not.”  Thomas Jefferson”

“History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid” - Gen Eisenhower.

Posted: 13 April 2008 02:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  9923
Joined  2007-01-08

[quote author=“BlueBugofJustice”]Rereading this and want to clarify that DD is referring to Brand X the physical location and not the Forum. smile

I admit when I first saw DD’s post I was taken aback and wondered if I’d done anything to prompt it. I reread it several times and came to the conclusion BBoJ just posted.

I will submit something for the other Satellite BrandXers at least to consider.
These days I rarely post advice on exercise form and technique, with one exception I’ll mention later.
I’ll happily make jokes and advise people on where to find tabata music tracks or how long to rest between rounds or where to find info on what a beginner pull-up looks like, and do. Often. LOL
But a while ago I realised I was starting to give people advise on technique and that’s an area that Brand X excels in. It’s part of why I’m using up annual leave and what for me is a significant amount of money to roast in a Ramona summer later this year. :D
Some of the other Satellite Brand Xers train at affiliates and have been to certs, which gives them knowledge and experience I don’t have. For me, I try and resist the temptation to answer the technique questions (I fail sometimes) and let the Brand X trainers handle them. Unless I can cut and paste a previously posted answer to save them from having to of course. That’s the exception I talked about earlier. In those cases I usually try to attribute my sources so that people know it’s GD or BBoJ giving the good advice, not me.

Although they (perhaps foolishly :wink: ) have opened this forum up for comments from the world, this is a Brand X forum and the advice given here reflects on GD and BBoJ.

I’ll let the rest of you make your own call on whether you feel competent to guide people in this area.

Signature 

Craig Massey

“The point of CF is to get better at life.  Being unable to workout tomorrow because you were pigheaded today is not in line with our goals.”
Garddawg - 22 March 2009

“CrossFit is not dangerous.
Bad coaching is dangerous, poor movement is dangerous. Ego is dangerous.
CrossFit, properly scaled to the individual is the safest and most efficient program available for strength, conditioning and movement.”
BlueBugofJustice - 18 August 2009

Posted: 13 April 2008 02:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  13325
Joined  2007-01-30
[quote author=“Metric”][quote author=“BlueBugofJustice”]Rereading this and want to clarify that DD is referring to Brand X the physical location and not the Forum. smile

I’ll let the rest of you make your own call on whether you feel competent to guide people in this area.

My feeling is I can only give advice, if you call it that, on things I can objectively answer:  like how to do a 1-1-1-1-1-1-1 set, or the variations on beginner pullup progressions (which of course, I merely STOLE from GD, BBOJ, Big D and the rest of the trainers). 

And, for the most part, I’m only doing that so that other Sat. Brand Xers don’t have to wait for GD, BBOJ, Big D, and the others to give out their Pacific Time Zone answers . . . .

As for Metric, he lives in Tomorrowland, so he’s talking about WODs we haven’t even had yet . . . .

Signature 

The common denominator of success—- the secret of success of every man who has ever been successful—- lies in the fact that he formed the habit of doing things that failures don’t like to do.—Albert Grey

“Really Connor? Really?”—Jeff Martin

http://rantopedia.blogspot.com/ (my blog)
http://www.facebook.com/patrick.hoffman1

M-47/5’11”/180lbs

There’s a reason they don’t call it “Fight Gone Good”.

Posted: 13 April 2008 12:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
Joined  2004-06-22

Although we all appreciate your decorum and thoughtfulness

Sorry to have made all of you think we had meant the forum… This is really a local issue.

We have a few self appointed official greeters who need “redirection”
...... so to speak

Signature 

Posted: 13 April 2008 12:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  14210
Joined  2004-06-18

In other words….please carry on.  Bull on in the china closet and such.

Signature 

All of life’s problems can be solved by heavy deadlifts.

Follow us on Twitter:
@TheBrandXMethod
https://twitter.com/TheBrandXMethod

M/54/5’11”/190

Posted: 17 April 2008 01:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  683
Joined  2004-07-06

Boy, I should have been more clear. Metric, my man,  I ALWAYS enjoy your insights, quips, quirks, and quotes! Don’t stop! :o

As previously stated, the issue is a local one in the gym.The post was not meant to be harsh at all but rather a gentle reminder to leave the actual training to the trainers. And although it seemed to be directed at primarily Crossfit, this is not always the case.

So Metric, please continue on….  LOL  Can’t wait to see you this summer!

Signature 

Life isn’t about surviving the storm~It is about learning how to dance in the rain…

Be honorable yourself if you wish to associate with honorable people.