Scaling Advice sought
Posted: 26 July 2008 12:59 PM   [ Ignore ]
Puppy Dawg
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2008-07-24

HELP!!!

I am 2 months into CF. 6’1” 210lbs, 21% BF. I am still finding that although I am scaling considerably (usually in between puppies and buttercups) that I am extremely sore for several days after. Example, for Fran (4 min flat) I used 15 lb dumbbells and assisted pull ups at 100lbs. For Jeremy 32 lbs OHS (6:03). Today, I can barely walk. My legs are killing me. I don’t mind taking extra rest days. But my question should I be scaling more and taking less rest days? I have yet to complete one full week of CF w/o having to take two or three days off in between.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Lorne

Posted: 26 July 2008 01:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Top Dawg
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3313
Joined  2006-02-17

Lorne, rather than scaling more or taking more rest days how about dialling back the intensity just a little.  Use your early stages to get the movement down nicely rather than worrying too much about the clock.  View this as your on ramp to the freeway to elite fitness.  It’s a long road so speeding on the on-ramp isn’t gonna make a difference in the long run is it?

Even under the watchful eye of a coach most folks new to CF have plenty of movement “issues”.  If you can, get someone to take some vid of your movement and spend some time comparing it to the demonstration or instructional videos that Crossfit provide.  Practice at this stage will never be wasted.  Once you think it’s getting close, youtube it for further critique and guidance here.

More folks will chime in here but you may have to wait a little while as the BrandX staff are hosting a Crossfit Level 1 certification as well as a Crossfit Kids cert over the next few days.

Cheers, kempie

Signature 

Take a deep breath ... Now do it again!
http://www.crossfitnortheastengland.com

BX Coaching Gold - “your doing all the right stuff its just coming out all wrong. “
CFSB Dummie’s Playground

Posted: 26 July 2008 02:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Big Dawg
RankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  309
Joined  2008-07-09

Learn how to search!!!

Actually, yes and no.  The two things I appreciate about this forum and community is that you will never hear that phrase in an offensive manner.  The other is that you can find tons of answers to any question while waiting for the BrandX staff to get back.  In the meantime, there is an active thread here.

In short, learn the difference between hurt and soreness.  More, light work, will aid your soreness moreso than simply taking rest days.  It will also get you in the habit of your scheduled work, assuming a 3/1 split.  Without knowing your background, or current fitness levels, it may just be that you aren’t accustomed to the schedule, and while you may have the strength to perform 15#dbs and 100# a-pulls, you might not have the conditioning or ability to string it all together.

My personal approach, I’ve never done olympic lifting and my goal is to zero them down before I even attempt my first buttercup WOD.  Once I’m at the WOD level (72 days and counting), where you are at now, I still won’t be trying to reach the numbers, but to practice the routines so I can go for time knowing how to perform them.  This is actually the first time I’ve started a personal routine focused on proper warm up and learning lifts before adding weight.

Signature 

Eh, it builds character.

That which doesn’t kill you, only makes you stronger.
Never limit yourself.  Affect the outcome.  Temper Expectations.
080714 - Present

Posted: 27 July 2008 09:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Puppy Dawg
Rank
Joined  2008-07-24

Thank you.

Great advice. Although I think this will be hard to follow. I became attracted to CF b/c of the intensity to which most WOD’s are completed. This will be tough but I can see the Freeway illustration. Entering the Freeway safely and correctly will allow me to reach top speed quick enough.

Posted: 27 July 2008 09:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Puppy Dawg
Rank
Joined  2008-07-24

Rocky thanks. You have so much more patience than I do. (Must come from being a Giants fan. wink) I will try to focus more on my form and less on time. I also will try light work on the days when I am sore.

Posted: 27 July 2008 06:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  683
Joined  2004-07-06

Lorne I will add just to reiterate, start slow and get the movements down. Dial the Intensity back. Once your body gets used to this kind of work, you will be fine.

Signature 

Life isn’t about surviving the storm~It is about learning how to dance in the rain…

Be honorable yourself if you wish to associate with honorable people.

Posted: 27 July 2008 06:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Total Posts:  8578
Joined  2004-07-08

Wow DD I was thinking the exact same thing…

Signature 

In God we Trust all others we monitor

Posted: 30 July 2008 01:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  683
Joined  2004-07-06

Well of course you were. Anytime, you need to know how to say it, you let me know Big D. Glad to help.

Signature 

Life isn’t about surviving the storm~It is about learning how to dance in the rain…

Be honorable yourself if you wish to associate with honorable people.

Posted: 30 July 2008 07:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Top Dawg
Total Posts:  2765
Joined  2007-12-19

Hello Lorne.  I just came from the most miserable workout ever.  Crushed.  I scaled way back and all of the 20 somethings around me ran circles around me at the Rx’d weight.  So?  Now that I’m done feeling sorry for myself (well, almost done) I realize that if I hadn’t scaled, I would either still be back at the gym completing the WOD, or alternatively, typing this from the hospital.

Even scaled my form was suspect on several components today.  Scaling was the right thing to do for my body, if not my ego.

I cannot compare myself to a 25 year old that has been doing this for 3 years.  I can admire his form and learn from him, and aspire to improve, but he is not my benchmark.  I am my own benchmark.  Am I improving?  Am I getting faster and stronger and working hard on my technique?

I will never have a 3:00 Fran, but at least I’m still in the ring, which is more than most suburban dads in their 40’s can say.

The main point I’m trying to make: check your ego at the door, and realize this is a marathon, not a sprint.

Good luck.

Signature 

M 44yrs 6’2/218