1 of 2
Swift Evolutionary consquence to obesity needed
Posted: 06 August 2008 08:10 PM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5197
Joined  2004-06-22

Jeff and I had a conversation over dinner last night
about there being a lack of swift evolutionary consequence to obesity in humans in the current era.
Sorta came up after watching Duncan fill up a new fish tank and excitedly name and describe each of the five fish.
We talked about caring for the fish, cleaning the tank, lights on/off, etc.
Then we talked about feeding and overfeeding and my good friend Debbie,  fish purchaser extraordinnairre, described her daughters experience after overfeeding a beta.
Apparently, they explode.

Which got me thinking that a few exploding humans at a shopping mall or park or community center could really make a point at dinner time.
Which got Jeff and I discussing the fact that fat zebras don’t last too long in the wild.

Humans, in this era have nothing fast enough to deter the behaviors associated with obesity.
Diabetes, heart disease…they take too long. 

With some creative genetic engineering I think we could splice a little beta in, and well…create a consequence :  )

Coincidently my friend Patrick sent me this today…

If trends continue, we’ll all be fat in 40 years
Researchers: By 2048, every American could be at least slightly overweight
Reuters
updated 3:34 p.m. ET, Wed., Aug. 6, 2008
NEW YORK - If the trends of the past three decades continue, it’s possible that every American adult could be overweight 40 years from now, a government-funded study projects.

The figure might sound alarming, or impossible, but researchers say that even if the actual rate never reaches the 100-percent mark, any upward movement is worrying; two-thirds of the population is already overweight.

“Genetically and physiologically, it should be impossible” for all U.S. adults to become overweight, said Dr. Lan Liang of the federal government’s Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, one of the researchers on the study.

However, she told Reuters Health, the data suggest that if the trends of the past 30 years persist, “that is the direction we’re going.”

Already, she and her colleagues point out, some groups of U.S. adults have extremely high rates of overweight and obesity; among African- American women, for instance, 78 percent are currently overweight or obese.

A ‘wake-up call’?
The new projections, published in the journal Obesity, are based on government survey data collected between the 1970s and 2004.

If the trends of those years continue, the researchers estimate that 86 percent of American adults will be overweight by 2030, with an obesity rate of 51 percent. By 2048, all U.S. adults could be at least mildly overweight.

Weight problems will be most acute among African-Americans and Mexican- Americans, the study projects. All black women could be overweight by 2034, according to the researchers, as could more than 90 percent of Mexican-American men.

All of this rests on the “big assumption” that the trends of recent decades will march on unabated, Liang acknowledged.

“This is really intended as a wake-up call to show what could happen if nothing changes,” she said.

Waistlines aren’t the only thing poised to balloon in the future, according to Liang and her colleagues. They estimate that the healthcare costs directly related to excess pounds will double each decade, reaching $957 billion in 2030 — accounting for one of every six healthcare dollars spent in the U.S.

Those financial projections are based on Census data and published estimates of the current healthcare costs attributed to excess weight — and they are probably a “huge underestimate” of what the actual costs will be, Liang said.

The findings highlight a need for widespread efforts to improve Americans’ lifestyles and keep their weight in check, according to the researchers. Simply telling people to eat less and exercise more is not enough, Liang noted.

Broader social changes are needed as well, she said—such as making communities more pedestrian-friendly so that people can walk regularly, or getting the food industry to offer healthier, calorie-conscious choices.

“It really needs to be more than an individual effort,” Liang said. “It needs to be a societal effort.”

Copyright 2008 Reuters. Click for restrictions.

Signature 

“No man who refuses to bear arms in defense of his nation can give a sound reason why he should be allowed to live in a free country”  T. Roosevelt

“The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who are not.”  Thomas Jefferson”

“History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid” - Gen Eisenhower.

Posted: 07 August 2008 06:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Top Dawg
Total Posts:  4644
Joined  2007-11-13

BBOJ-

Of course “swift” and “evolution” may not be the best words to put next to each other…  wink

From a purely genetic stand point, one, very blunt, reason for the lack of “swift” selection is the fact that affected individuals (read obese people) make it through to reproduce… Right? if you are able to procreate before a predator (or disease) gets you, your genes get another chance in the next generation.  Being overweight does increase your risk of having an abnormal pregnancy (such as preeclampsia) but modern medicine can intervene for many of these complications.  I think the key to a change needs to come from a shift in societal views/values… that being obese and following an unhealthy lifestyle is not desired.

Signature 

44yo male, 6’0” 181-85# Began WODs Nov. 2003 (first CF post Feb. 2004)

Posted: 07 August 2008 07:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Top Dawg
Total Posts:  2961
Joined  2008-04-08

It’s strange to try and apply evolution to the modern human in the same way that we apply it to animals because we are so much different than animals with respect to how we live.  Namely we have culture and intelligence.

For most animals, the survival of the fittest has no choice involved.  Either the animal has superior genes that make it more fit to survive and reproduce or it doesn’t.  With humans, there are indeed genetics that make us more physically able to survive but we introduce other factors: social upbringing and personality traits that are learned rather than inherited.  These tend to be the predominant factors that determine whether a person puts in the work to maintain their fitness.

If there was an exploding gene and a person with average genetics were to take it upon themselves to stay fit, they would likely live to pass on their average genetics.  On the flip side, if a genetic stud was raised to eat 50,000 calories a day and watch TV, that guy would likely explode, and all his potential would be lost from the gene pool.

BBOJ is right though, if there was an exploding gene in there somewhere, you could bet that a our culture and the people in it would have a lot more emphasis on physical fitness.

Wow, this is starting to sound like Social Darwanism… cultural selection based on a culture’s ability to support it’s population… I knew those Arts and Science electives would be useful someday.
cool smile

Signature 

28/m/6’2”/215/BF8.9%
CrossFit Birth: April 8, 2008 (BW 245)

“Performance is directly correlated with intensity. Intensity is directly correlated with discomfort.” -Coach Glassman
“Get Comfortable with Uncomfortable.” -Coach OPT

-||||———||||-
“Machines were invented to keep wankers off the barbells.” -Greg Everett

Posted: 07 August 2008 11:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
Joined  2004-06-22

First this whole thread is meant to be a bit of a joke…
Sarcasm is a way of life for me..

JDG
very true, the two words should not be near each other.
We have changed - evolved technologically far enough to make the predatory problems pretty much obsolete.
Western Diet (and portions )have morphed and changed in the last hundred years (an evultionary millisecond ?)
and I think are at the root of the problem along with sedentary lifestyle and the consequent metabolic derangement
caused by the potent combination of poor diet and
lack of functional exercise.

Signature 

“No man who refuses to bear arms in defense of his nation can give a sound reason why he should be allowed to live in a free country”  T. Roosevelt

“The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who are not.”  Thomas Jefferson”

“History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid” - Gen Eisenhower.

Posted: 07 August 2008 11:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Top Dawg
Total Posts:  4644
Joined  2007-11-13

Ok, enough serious stuff then… back to splicing in a gene to make people explode if they eat too much?!!?  wink

Signature 

44yo male, 6’0” 181-85# Began WODs Nov. 2003 (first CF post Feb. 2004)

Posted: 07 August 2008 12:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Total Posts:  13286
Joined  2007-01-30

Cool!! Then I can post this: how do people get so fat they can’t walk anymore?  I’m just kind of mystified.  Do they just yell out the window: “Can’t walk!! Feed meeee!!”  I mean, just put the food a little out of reach . . . next day a little farther . . . .

Signature 

The common denominator of success—- the secret of success of every man who has ever been successful—- lies in the fact that he formed the habit of doing things that failures don’t like to do.—Albert Grey

“Really Connor? Really?”—Jeff Martin

http://rantopedia.blogspot.com/ (my blog)
http://www.facebook.com/patrick.hoffman1

M-47/5’11”/180lbs

There’s a reason they don’t call it “Fight Gone Good”.

Posted: 07 August 2008 12:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Top Dawg
Total Posts:  3096
Joined  2007-03-26

Thank goodness we can joke about this. I was laughing hysterically when I read it. Now I can say:

BathMatt - 07 August 2008 07:37 AM

Namely we have culture and intelligence.

... maybe some of us do ....

Signature 

“Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ‘Wow - what a Ride!’” -Peter Sage

Posted: 07 August 2008 12:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Top Dawg
Total Posts:  2217
Joined  2007-05-06

is it wrong that it makes me slightly angry when I see a fat slob hobble into the grocery store, plop their rump into a motorized cart meant for the elderly (I assume they are for the elderly) and motor around sucking down a gallon of carbonated sugar water and gnoshing french fries?

oh oh oh
we should rig the seats on those things to an electrified scale, and if the weight limit is exceeded, they get a nice jolt in bottom… i’d bet money they would try to sit down again, and thus do more squats than they would have normally done that day.  someone call the patent office!
lol

we need a sugar or high fructose corn syrup powered car. if the price of sugar or HFCS was as high as gas I bet it would help..  im full of wacky ideas today.

sorry.

Posted: 07 August 2008 12:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
Joined  2004-06-22

maybe we can harness the energy from exploding chubbies
after the gene splicing- JDG you are the science guy…
capturing flying carbs should not be too hard.

Kung Fu Panda did amazing things to get to a dumpling :  )

Signature 

Posted: 07 August 2008 02:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Top Dawg
Total Posts:  1683
Joined  2008-02-14

How about setting your income tax rate equal to your body fat percentage?

Posted: 07 August 2008 02:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Top Dawg
Total Posts:  2570
Joined  2005-10-27

If we think of natural selection as the crux of the theory of evolution, that means we expect those who are least fit for survival to be weeded out of the population. In the case of obesity, we are seeing early deaths and rampant disease. These render those who would generate new life unable to do so, either due to poor health or by dying before having done so. (OR by not being able to attract a mate!) In the case of those who are able to reproduce, they are unable to adequately care for their young. The young cannot survive without that care and, so, will eventually die off themselves. The extinction of a bloodline is an evolutionary consequence of obesity. It is only our welfare system (and advanced medicine, as previously discussed) that has deterred this natural selection.
In addition, science is now indicating that predispositions for certain illnesses are being passed along to the children of obese individuals. The fact that I had gestational diabetes while pregnant with my daughter means we are both at risk for developing full blown diabetes at some point in life. This could mean she will be subject to the same circumstances an obese individual with diabetes would encounter, including inability to reproduce and/or care for her young OR early death, due to no fault of her own.
Obesity is also being pegged as a precipitating factor in certain types of cancer. Genetically speaking, this can create a predisposition in the offspring of that individual. I would say that is also an evolutionary consequence.

I feel impatient toward those folks who self perpetuate their bad health. I can, since I was one of them not too long ago. Thanks to Brand X, I’m not anymore.

BBOJ has pegged the bottom line in the public degeneration of health. If there were an immediate consequence, one that could not be consistently circumvented through medicine and social systems, we would be witnessing fund raisers and telethons for the advancement of nutrition and fitness. Elizabeth Taylor would be volunteering to make speeches. George Clooney would be creating conspiracy films about the government’s role in keeping us fat. And Brangelina would be donating their riches to fund memberships to CrossFit gyms around the world.

Alas, we will have to continue to convince them one person at a time. I checked the penal code. Causing people to explode is illegal in the United States. DARN!

Posted: 07 August 2008 02:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Top Dawg
Total Posts:  2961
Joined  2008-04-08
canus_nerdus - 07 August 2008 02:12 PM

How about setting your income tax rate equal to your body fat percentage?

HaHAha,
That is hilarious!

Good points, Go_I.

Signature 

28/m/6’2”/215/BF8.9%
CrossFit Birth: April 8, 2008 (BW 245)

“Performance is directly correlated with intensity. Intensity is directly correlated with discomfort.” -Coach Glassman
“Get Comfortable with Uncomfortable.” -Coach OPT

-||||———||||-
“Machines were invented to keep wankers off the barbells.” -Greg Everett

Posted: 07 August 2008 03:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Administrator
Joined  2004-06-22

Although many believe me ( because of GD mostly ) to be all powerful- alas I am not.
I cannot make people explode. (legal or not)

Be that as it may, this would qualify as self imolation, or suicide by self explosion ?  Is that illegal ?

There are propositions out there to tax people based on consumption… would food qualify ?

Signature 

Posted: 07 August 2008 04:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Total Posts:  13286
Joined  2007-01-30
joelthemole - 07 August 2008 12:25 PM

is it wrong that it makes me slightly angry when I see a fat slob hobble into the grocery store, plop their rump into a motorized cart meant for the elderly (I assume they are for the elderly) and motor around sucking down a gallon of carbonated sugar water and gnoshing french fries?.

I’m at Disneyland last year with the family.  They have those scooters for, um, our larger brethren.  So, okay, whatever.  Ride your little cart around.  Anyway, if you’ve ever been to Disney, it’s built a bit on the 50’s population model, so it can get a bit crowded.  Anyway, we’re all walking along and I hear “beep beep beep”.  Turn around . . . it’s BIG guy (not scary big . . . needs a scooter big) on his scooter . . . trying to “beep” people out of his way . . .

I have never wanted to go cow tipping as much as I did right then . . .

Signature 

The common denominator of success—- the secret of success of every man who has ever been successful—- lies in the fact that he formed the habit of doing things that failures don’t like to do.—Albert Grey

“Really Connor? Really?”—Jeff Martin

http://rantopedia.blogspot.com/ (my blog)
http://www.facebook.com/patrick.hoffman1

M-47/5’11”/180lbs

There’s a reason they don’t call it “Fight Gone Good”.

Posted: 07 August 2008 05:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Top Dawg
Total Posts:  2217
Joined  2007-05-06

<backstory>
I had almost forgotten all about this.  We were at the Zoo on a really hot Saturday afternoon.  The animals were smart enough to be inside, but not us. Anyway, that’s not the point.  At the zoo here, they have this elevated boardwalk thing that goes for about 3/4 mile out in the field where they keep the animals you’d see on the plains… like zebras and whatnot. 
</backstory>
So there we were strolling down this thing with the sun beating down on us, our clothes pretty much soaked from sweat and we pass this HUGE woman who I over hear say “sweating is good for you, it cleans out the pores.”  I could not believe it.  how completely absurd.

I never did figure out whether she was talking to her friend about the sweaty family headed towards her, or what. 

sidenote:
watch out - FAT people are practically the last group that doesn’t have its’ own civil rights lobby.. you know FAT pride, etc, etc.

edit:
what she said was “sweating is good for you, it detoxes the pores.”  how could I have forgotten that?

Posted: 07 August 2008 05:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Top Dawg
Total Posts:  3096
Joined  2007-03-26
Go_Irish! - 07 August 2008 02:14 PM

BBOJ has pegged the bottom line in the public degeneration of health. If there were an immediate consequence, one that could not be consistently circumvented through medicine and social systems, we would be witnessing fund raisers and telethons for the advancement of nutrition and fitness. Elizabeth Taylor would be volunteering to make speeches. George Clooney would be creating conspiracy films about the government’s role in keeping us fat. And Brangelina would be donating their riches to fund memberships to CrossFit gyms around the world.

I really wish that was the case - we need stuff like that to happen. Our economy and culture makes it extremely difficult for people to do what they need to do to stay healthy. This thread has not - but I’ve seen cases where a discussion such as this - becomes arrogant. I agree there is a good percentage of people who make the bad choices as far as food and (lack of) exercise goes. But I think there’s a far greater percentage for whom staying healthy is extremely difficult. I see my co-workers, siblings, and neighbors as examples. I think this is a pretty typical scenario in congested middle- or low-income urban areas:

For example - people have to work 8 hours. If you want to take a lunch break, you’re at your company another hour (hopefully you can get a quick walk in). A typical commute in the Balto/Wash area is 90 minutes, each way. If you’re taking a child to daycare, tack on another 30 minutes. OK - you’re away from home for 13 hours each day. Say you are efficient and you can get yourself and your kids ready & out of the house in the morning within an hour and a half. And say, you have a goal of getting 8 hours sleep at the end of the day. All that leaves you exactly 1.5 hours leftover - to make and serve dinner, theoretically spend time with your children & spouse, help them with their homework, do laundry or other chores, run errands, etc. etc. There’s no way to even get 8 hours sleep, let alone exercise. I can honestly understand when my neighbors say they don’t have time to exercise.

On top of that, say a person takes mass transit to save on gas. Then the closest gym is another half-hour away. In my neighborhood, the nearest store with fresh produce is 7 miles away. And, after dusk - you can’t walk outdoors because the hoodlums/drug dealers are prowling. Once outside my development, there are no sidewalks - only highly-traffic’d roads that are too dangerous to walk or bike on.

I can’t put all the blame on individuals. We’ve created a world where we reward unhealthy behaviors (work more hours = pay raise, for example) and made our lifestyle so that one has to be extremely determined, creative, and knowledgeable in order to maintain a healthy lifestyle. Maybe if people really did start “exploding”, we would start making changes to our world.

Yes, there are many who just make bad choices; on the other hand, this is just another perspective ....

Signature 

“Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ‘Wow - what a Ride!’” -Peter Sage

1 of 2