Friday, August 15th - Pull-ups and ring dips
Posted: 15 August 2008 09:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]
Pack Member
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  208
Joined  2008-05-07
TexasPatrick - 15 August 2008 06:10 AM
ErinInTX - 15 August 2008 05:50 AM

That was tough.  Question: Should I aim for a higher assist to complete without breaks, or use a lower assist w/ breaks to increase strength.  I have been doing PUs @ 110 assist, but knew I couldn’t get 30 at that level, so dropped it down (or up).  The last one or two of each set were pretty tough to make, but I didn’t break in rounds.

Breaks, aka rests, are a strategy to avoiding failure, muscular or metabolic . . . learning how to judiciously insert breaks into a WOD can actually decrease your total time . . . 

Straight through as Rx’d is for the Biggest of the Big Dogs, i.e., taking breaks WOULD slow them down. 

Here’s a long ‘splanation:

http://www.crossfitbrandx.com/index.php/forums/viewthread/3590/

I would recommend this thread for anyone who can’t answer the question:  What is the primary goal of a crossfit metcon wod?

I read that thread and I have a question to anyone out there in CrossFit Land…

How long do you typically rest in between reps when doing broken sets??

Signature 

Food is your medicine; medicine is your food…..DON’T O.D.!!!

Posted: 15 August 2008 09:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
Pack Member
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  275
Joined  2008-06-04

Pack:
40 Light Band Assisted Pull-ups
40 Light Band Assisted Ring Dips
30 Light Band Assisted Pull-ups
30 Parralettes dips w/ feet proped up 12”
20 Light Band Assisted Pull-ups
20 Parralettes dips w/ feet proped up 12”
10 Light Band Assisted Pull-ups
10 Parralettes dips w/ feet proped up 12”

16:24

Hung rings from pull-up bar, however the light band was not quite enough to make it through all rounds downer

Signature 

M/36/5’9/158#(Start weight 195)

Posted: 15 August 2008 09:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]
Top Dawg
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2765
Joined  2007-12-19
Dharper79 - 15 August 2008 09:09 AM

have a question to anyone out there in CrossFit Land…

As little as possible/until I can breathe semi-functionally.

The idea is-go hard...

Signature 

M 44yrs 6’2/218

Posted: 15 August 2008 09:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]
Mutt
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  33
Joined  2008-07-03

30 pullups: deadhangs
30 bar dips
25 pullups: 15 deadhangs, 10 jumping
25 bar dips
20 pullups: 10 deadhangs, 10 jumping
20 bar dips
15 pullups: 10 deadhangs, 5 jumping
15 bar dips
10 jumping pullups
10 bar dips

33:25
Probably should have scaled this down a bit more to get a better time. I always think I can do more than I actually can. Need to swallow my pride. Still need to learn to kip.
Did some jump rope practice, got 1 dbl under today.

Signature 

Go hard or go home.
41/m/6’3”/193

Posted: 15 August 2008 09:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]
Top Dawg
Total Posts:  3328
Joined  2006-02-17
TexasPatrick - 15 August 2008 06:10 AM
ErinInTX - 15 August 2008 05:50 AM

That was tough.  Question: Should I aim for a higher assist to complete without breaks, or use a lower assist w/ breaks to increase strength.  I have been doing PUs @ 110 assist, but knew I couldn’t get 30 at that level, so dropped it down (or up).  The last one or two of each set were pretty tough to make, but I didn’t break in rounds.

Breaks, aka rests, are a strategy to avoiding failure, muscular or metabolic . . . learning how to judiciously insert breaks into a WOD can actually decrease your total time . . . 

Straight through as Rx’d is for the Biggest of the Big Dogs, i.e., taking breaks WOULD slow them down. 

Here’s a long ‘splanation:

http://www.crossfitbrandx.com/index.php/forums/viewthread/3590/

I would recommend this thread for anyone who can’t answer the question:  What is the primary goal of a crossfit metcon wod?

I read that thread and I have a question to anyone out there in CrossFit Land…

If you broke the set either because of or to avoid muscular fatigue then just long enough to pop another chunk out.  If you broke because you felt the clown tapping on your shoulder then pause for a few calming breaths before you again.  Don’t wait until you are completely recovered - you can work fatigued and are not as tired as you think you are.

Cheers, kempie

Signature 

Take a deep breath ... Now do it again!
http://www.crossfitnortheastengland.com

BX Coaching Gold - “your doing all the right stuff its just coming out all wrong. “
CFSB Dummie’s Playground

Posted: 15 August 2008 10:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 36 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  14142
Joined  2004-06-18

Breaking and resting are important topics, probably worthy of their own thread.  In brief there are three types of breaks:
1.  Undeniable muscular failure
2.  Extreme metabolic distress
3.  Severe loss of testosterone

Let’s take care of number three first.  This is where you put the bar down because you feel sorry for yourself.  In your head the dialogue goes something like this… “Nobody has ever worked this hard or hurt this much, I better put the bar down.”  The bar then goes to the ground and in this scenario you begin to look around and realize nobody is paying any attention to you (because THEY are actually still WORKING).  At this point the testosterone dump begins in earnest and you are likely to began moaning, throwing yourself to the ground, pacing around, making faces, in the extreme you will actually interrupt another persons workout to call attention to how much you are suffering while STANDING there.  Let’s examine this:
a. Moaning and talking to other CrossFitters requires an exchange of O2.  If you have the ability to do this you are not working hard enough.  Get back on the bar.
b.  Throwing yourself to the ground, pacing around and making faces requires energy output.  Suffice it to say if you have extra energy you are not working hard enough, not to mention your energy should be expended in the WOD fool!
Keep in mind during the WOD that nobody cares how hard you are working and any self pity is going to be wasted.  Avoid this type of break at all cost.

Then there are breaks due to muscular failure.  If you are working through a metcon workout you should generally avoid these.  Once you reach muscular failure you have only a couple of options.
a.  Shorten the range of motion.  If you choose this option you will become the personal whipping post of any good trainer/coach.  The trainer/coach will stand over you and insult your heritage and derisively tell you to stop until “You can actually do the movement correctly”.
b.  Compromise your form so badly that you might snap an appendage trying to eek out another rep.  In which case see (a.) for what your quality trainer or coach will do.
c.  Put the weight down until your muscles have recovered enough to continue.  BTW this can be timed.  Anybody see me coach Eric on the last WOD at the games?  Once Muscular failure is reached you can determine when the next rep can be done like clock work.
In a metabolic workout you should avoid muscular failure it will slow the effort down.

Finally there are breaks due to severe metabolic distress.  First if you break to soon or simply because you are having trouble breathing you might fall into the testosterone dumping group.  Be sure when you break that you have a plan.  I will pick the weight up in 15 seconds.  I will pick the weight up after three breathes.  I will walk to the far side of the room and back and pick the weight up.  Make this plan before you start the WOD!  Stick to it.  It is the only way to avoid becoming a whining sniveling testosterone challenged little crybaby.

Signature 

All of life’s problems can be solved by heavy deadlifts.

M/54/5’11”/190

Posted: 15 August 2008 10:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 37 ]
Hound
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  89
Joined  2008-04-04

Thanks for the quickie lesson on pose running and kipping dips, TP.  Well said GD about breaks and the types of breaks taken/needed/earned!!

Signature 

bigfuzzy6…keeping at it!!!

Posted: 15 August 2008 10:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 38 ]
Pack Member
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  209
Joined  2008-08-09

Pack:
40 Pull-ups
40 Ring Dips
30 Pull-ups
30 Ring Dips
20 Pull-ups
20 Ring Dips
10 Pull-ups
10 Ring Dips

16:55.

first time ever doing ring dips. when i first viewed them on video, didn’t think they would be so bad, then i did them this morning…mom always told me not to think too much. way different than regular dips.

Signature 

M/37/5’8”/180

“DO or DO NOT. There is no ‘Try’” -Yoda
“C’mon, deep breath and let’s go. Rest is the Hobgoblin!”-Golden1

Posted: 15 August 2008 10:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 39 ]
Top Dawg
Total Posts:  1683
Joined  2008-02-14
radiosound1 - 15 August 2008 09:21 AM

The idea is-go hard...

Prior to hooking up with an affiliate I thought I took short breaks with broken sets.  The group atmosphere and the coaching of “Do not get comfortable” changed my view.  I realized that I was resting too long.

Posted: 15 August 2008 11:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 40 ]
Hound
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  96
Joined  2008-08-14

Pack:
40 Pull-ups
40 Ring Dips
30 Pull-ups
30 Ring Dips
20 Pull-ups
20 Ring Dips
10 Pull-ups
10 Ring Dips

15:16

Signature 

M/6’0”/160lbs/26

Posted: 15 August 2008 11:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 41 ]
Top Dawg
Total Posts:  2765
Joined  2007-12-19
Garddawg - 15 August 2008 10:17 AM

Make this plan before you start the WOD!  Stick to it.  It is the only way to avoid becoming a whining sniveling little crybaby.

ohh daaaaaaaaammmmm… One of those very rare moments I’m happy to be a sattellite Brand Xer… meaning today seems like a good day to miss class tongue wink

Signature 

M 44yrs 6’2/218

Posted: 15 August 2008 11:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 42 ]
Total Posts:  13313
Joined  2007-01-30
canus_nerdus - 15 August 2008 10:45 AM
radiosound1 - 15 August 2008 09:21 AM

The idea is-go hard...

Prior to hooking up with an affiliate I thought I took short breaks with broken sets.  The group atmosphere and the coaching of “Do not get comfortable” changed my view.  I realized that I was resting too long.

Ha!!

I think there’s a hierarchy in there somewhere:

1) Doing WODs at home.  Hard.  Kids/sig other bother you as you workout.  You walk from garage to backyard to do things . . .
2) Doing WODs in a gym.  Harder.  But people interrupt you.  You walk from thing to thing to finish.
3) Doing WODs in a group class at a Cfit gym: Very hard . . . you find that guy/girl you just can’t catch . . . coach yells at you “get back on the bar!” When s/he sees you loafing . . . (As was pointed out . . . you will not dehydrate during Fran . . . )
4) Personal Coaching with a Cfit coach . . . s/he has a watch . . . you get 10 seconds . . . but you get told to get back on the bar in 3 . . .

I also think, and this is just something I’m throwing out there, that at first, when the movements were new, that alone added to my perception of “intensity”.  Now for instance, kb swings don’t kill me at 16kg and I find I need to pull the weight back down to get the intensity and the speed.  There was NO way I could have done that a year ago.  No way.

Signature 

The common denominator of success—- the secret of success of every man who has ever been successful—- lies in the fact that he formed the habit of doing things that failures don’t like to do.—Albert Grey

“Really Connor? Really?”—Jeff Martin

http://rantopedia.blogspot.com/ (my blog)
http://www.facebook.com/patrick.hoffman1

M-47/5’11”/180lbs

There’s a reason they don’t call it “Fight Gone Good”.

Posted: 15 August 2008 11:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 43 ]
Total Posts:  13313
Joined  2007-01-30
radiosound1 - 15 August 2008 11:08 AM
Garddawg - 15 August 2008 10:17 AM

Make this plan before you start the WOD!  Stick to it.  It is the only way to avoid becoming a whining sniveling little crybaby.

ohh daaaaaaaaammmmm… One of those very rare moments I’m happy to be a sattellite Brand Xer… meaning today seems like a good day to miss class tongue wink

Remember . . . it’s okay to cry . . . just don’t be a baby . . .  cool grin

Signature 

The common denominator of success—- the secret of success of every man who has ever been successful—- lies in the fact that he formed the habit of doing things that failures don’t like to do.—Albert Grey

“Really Connor? Really?”—Jeff Martin

http://rantopedia.blogspot.com/ (my blog)
http://www.facebook.com/patrick.hoffman1

M-47/5’11”/180lbs

There’s a reason they don’t call it “Fight Gone Good”.

Posted: 15 August 2008 11:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 44 ]
Big Dawg
RankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  351
Joined  2008-03-03

Pack:
40 Jumping Pull-ups
40 Bar Dips
30 Assisted Pull-ups 80#
30 Assisted Dips 80#
20 Assisted Pull-ups 80#
20 Assisted Dips 80#
10 Assisted Pull-ups 80#
10 Assisted Dips 80#

9:19, 6:12, 5:02, 2:17 = 22:49

Congratulations to Olympian Dylan Armstrong (from my town!) who posted a PR and a national record in the shot put final!
Missed the Bronze by 1 cm.

Signature 

Looks like I picked a bad day to re-start CrossFit!
M/54/6’2”, 188cm/240#, 109kg

Posted: 15 August 2008 11:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 45 ]
Pack Member
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  118
Joined  2008-07-09

I didnt do todays WOD Crossfit total

I think I did something wrong on the deadlifts, my lower back is killing me

I had some guys check my lifts out and they said they looked fine, who knows.

3 of 6