Buy in, Cash out??  WTF??
Posted: 31 August 2008 04:26 PM   [ Ignore ]
Terrier
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  57
Joined  2008-07-07

I’ve been seeing the “Buy in” and “Cash out” stuff for the last week or so.

What’s up with that?? Warm up and cool down?

Signature 

Posted: 31 August 2008 05:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Top Dawg
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2765
Joined  2007-12-19

I think that specific terminology is a Brand X thing for a warm up and post WOD workout or skill excercise.  At Crossfit Oakland they call it the “warmup” and “the finisher”.  I can assure you that at least for me “the finisher” is deadly accurate.

When I’m on my own, I try to work something in after the WOD if time, energy level and circumstances allow.  Example: today’s pull ups went by relatively quickly, so I worked on my shoulder press, push press and push jerk.  Other heavy lifting days I might try something aerobic like row 1000M or practice double unders.

Signature 

M 44yrs 6’2/218

Posted: 31 August 2008 05:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Terrier
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  57
Joined  2008-07-07

Okay. I had a feeling it was something like that, but hadn’t seen it until recently.

Signature 

Posted: 18 September 2008 07:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Mutt
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  37
Joined  2008-04-14

The truth is, Jeff just likes hurting people. He does it under the guise of “skill work” or something productive, but we all know better. It just another nefarious scheme of his…

Signature 

Get. On. The. Bar.

Posted: 18 September 2008 08:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  5197
Joined  2004-06-22

The buy in and cash out at BX are usually gymnastic based, since the elements of balance, flexibility and agility
can be best represented and practiced this way.
We have seen tremendous progress in handstands and L sit times since we began this.

Signature 

“No man who refuses to bear arms in defense of his nation can give a sound reason why he should be allowed to live in a free country”  T. Roosevelt

“The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who are not.”  Thomas Jefferson”

“History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid” - Gen Eisenhower.

Posted: 03 October 2008 04:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Puppy Dawg
Rank
Total Posts:  15
Joined  2008-09-28

Where does one find the buy in/cash out workouts for the day? Do you guys post them somewhere, or is it an in-gym only thing?

Signature 

M/27/5’10”/140

Posted: 03 October 2008 05:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Total Posts:  13289
Joined  2007-01-30
Hogalicious - 03 October 2008 04:18 AM

Where does one find the buy in/cash out workouts for the day? Do you guys post them somewhere, or is it an in-gym only thing?

It’s a Brand X WOD thing.  Look for one of the trainers (GD, BBOJ, GI, Marla_Singer, Big D and all the others I can’t remember red face ) who posts the early bird workout and sometimes there will be one.

Otherwise it’s gym specific.  You could pick some things you’re not good at and ask how to work it in as a buy in/cash out, if you’re interested in building some skills. I really need to start doing this.

TP

Signature 

The common denominator of success—- the secret of success of every man who has ever been successful—- lies in the fact that he formed the habit of doing things that failures don’t like to do.—Albert Grey

“Really Connor? Really?”—Jeff Martin

http://rantopedia.blogspot.com/ (my blog)
http://www.facebook.com/patrick.hoffman1

M-47/5’11”/180lbs

There’s a reason they don’t call it “Fight Gone Good”.

Posted: 03 October 2008 06:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Top Dawg
Total Posts:  2765
Joined  2007-12-19
Hogalicious - 03 October 2008 04:18 AM

If you’re working out on your own, I’d suggest you make some form of the CrossFit Warm Up your “buy in”.  Look up “crossfit warmup” on the FAQ section of the main site.  As for the cash out (at CrossFit Oakland this is more accurately named the “finisher”): as TP suggests you could copy what folks are doing at BrandX that day (or what folks that post from other affiliates are doing).  Or you could use it as an opportunity to work on skills that weren’t worked during that days WOD.  Example: If it’s “Michael” (running, squats, back extensions), you might work on your O-lift technique.

Note though, that at least in my case, there are days where I just don’t have a cash out left in me.  I consider the warmup to generally be non-negotiable unless logistics leave me with very little time to do the WOD.

Signature 

M 44yrs 6’2/218

Posted: 03 October 2008 06:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Pack Member
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  189
Joined  2008-08-13

If you watch and read all posts - you really do learn a lot! I have not posted my WOD lately, because I felt I was doing it all wrong. The last couple of weeks, I have done as close as possible to the Rxd WOD - got finished and said there has to be more than this! I still have energy and want more. I know I can always lift more and go faster, but I still had some left in me. Now, understanding the cool down/the finisher, I know what to do to leave the gym - WASTED !!

Signature 

52 / M / 5’8” / 235#-3# = 232# -2=230# red face