Why did no one help the poor man attacked with a hammer in Philly ?
Posted: 10 September 2008 06:35 PM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5197
Joined  2004-06-22

What is wrong with people ?
Is doing the right thing just not taught any more ?
What about character, honor, duty to fellow man ?

BEFORE I ever learned self defense I found myself stepping in front of a hardened gang member in East LA ( stupid- yes)
who was trying to steal from my sister ( It was just a large pillow, but hey it was wrong !) because It wasn’t right to allow it.

I would love to have a journalist track those bystanders down…

Signature 

“No man who refuses to bear arms in defense of his nation can give a sound reason why he should be allowed to live in a free country”  T. Roosevelt

“The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who are not.”  Thomas Jefferson”

“History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid” - Gen Eisenhower.

Posted: 10 September 2008 06:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Top Dawg
Total Posts:  1251
Joined  2006-02-06

That would be brilliant but they are too busy blowing little things out of proportion or covering politics or the latest tabloid garbage to cover the demise of just plain old goodness in this country. Just today I saw coverage on what a turnaround Britney Spears made at the VMAs…really? That is what they had to talk about with the anniversary of 9/11 tomorrow??? Really?

It is scary. That could be someone we know. It is scary to think that someone we love could be attacked and that no decent human being would step in and intervene.

Signature 

Yeah um…there is a REASON they call him SATAN!
Fall seven times, stand up eight.
- Japanese proverb
CHECK OUT PREGGO/POST PARTUM WORKOUTS AT http://WWW.CROSSFITMOM.COM

Posted: 10 September 2008 06:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Pack Member
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  300
Joined  2008-04-17

Bold text mine.  This is sad on too many levels. 

PHILADELPHIA —  Police have arrested a man suspected of brutally attacking a dozing subway passenger with a hammer while other riders did nothing to stop the assault, the city’s police commissioner said Wednesday.

The suspect, taken into custody in a mental institution late Tuesday, has a lengthy record of rape and other convictions, Police Commissioner Charles Ramsey said on NBC’s “Today.”

The victim was treated and released from a hospital.

Ramsey criticized other riders for standing by when the assailant entered the train with his 5-year-old son, directed the boy to a seat, calmly pulled a hammer from a backpack and attacked a man dozing in a nearby seat.

At least 10 other riders were in the car when the attack occurred last week, yet no one interfered as the man repeatedly struck the victim in the train car and later out on a platform, Ramsey said on “Today.”

“They better pray they’re never a victim, because if someone was attacking them that way they would certainly hope someone would step forward and help, and it starts with stepping forward and doing something yourself,” Ramsey said.

Police had asked the public to help identify the attacker and released surveillance video showing the early Sept. 4 attack that was played repeatedly on Philadelphia television stations.

Police said the man was apprehended after family members called police. Ramsey did not identify the man or say whether he had been charged yet, but said he had a lengthy record.

“He has a long criminal history including rape, robbery, assault, narcotics violations,” Ramsey said.

The suspect apparently had tried to hurt himself with the hammer following the attack on the subway. Family members said they were not initially aware of the attack, but had the suspect committed to the mental institution where he was taken into custody.

The victim, 20-year-old Dewayne Taylor, made his own way to a hospital and was treated for head and neck injuries. Taylor, who has been released from the hospital, said Tuesday he has no idea who the attacker is or why he was targeted.

Signature 

“Strong people are harder to kill than weak people, and are more useful in general.”
Mark Rippetoe

“We have reached an age where most men look like a twinkie with a butt crack and are about as useful in any kind of violent situation.”
Jeff Martin

“Most people will never train correctly, because it is hard.  I can’t think of a better way to sort the wheat from the chaff.”
Mark Rippetoe

“Everybody has a plan until they get hit.”
Mike Tyson

Posted: 12 September 2008 10:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Top Dawg
Total Posts:  858
Joined  2005-05-16

To play devil’s advocate, this was a big dude. Swinging a hammer.
This was a big dude with a record for violence swinging a hammer randomly with murderous intent.
I don’t know that the average commuter is very motivated to step in and “take one for the team”.

That said, it would have been good to have a few Brand-X’ers around.

Signature 

Lincoln Brigham
USAW, CSCS, Crossfit

http://www.gryphon-sc.com
51M/6’1”/170-ish

Posted: 12 September 2008 10:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  8550
Joined  2004-07-08

Ok, the perp had his back t everyone, come on anyone jumping on him or simply grabing the hammer as he swings it back. I believe it only takes one person to act and ohers would follow. That als maybe the Sheepdog in me I don’t know.

Signature 

In God we Trust all others we monitor

Posted: 12 September 2008 01:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Top Dawg
Total Posts:  858
Joined  2005-05-16

I’m sure there were some who barely looked up from reading the newspaper.

Signature 

Lincoln Brigham
USAW, CSCS, Crossfit

http://www.gryphon-sc.com
51M/6’1”/170-ish

Posted: 24 October 2008 04:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Puppy Dawg
Rank
Total Posts:  13
Joined  2008-10-22

That happened at my subway stop, I was on that train 2 hours before it happened!

Posted: 29 November 2008 11:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Top Dawg
Total Posts:  2765
Joined  2007-12-19

http://m.news10.net/news.jsp?key=148714&rc=lo

SACRAMENTO, CA - A man using a candy cane lawn ornament fended off a knife-wielding neighbor who attacked holiday guests at a Del Paso Heights home.

Police spokesman Sgt. Norm Leong said the man used the two-foot-tall plastic ornament to subdue the attacker until officers arrived.

Leong said 49-year-old Donald Kercell became intoxicated, went over to a neighbor’s home on the 3600 block of Dayton Street on Thanksgiving and began waving a kitchen knife at people gathered on the lawn.

He cut several peoples’ clothing before one of them decided to fight back, using the plastic candy cane to beat Kercell into submission.

Kercell was arrested on suspicion of assault with a deadly weapon. The guest who took up the candy cane was not arrested because police determined he acted in self-defense.

Signature 

M 44yrs 6’2/218

Posted: 29 November 2008 11:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Total Posts:  8550
Joined  2004-07-08

Plain and simple, he acted!!!

Signature 

In God we Trust all others we monitor

Posted: 29 November 2008 01:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  5197
Joined  2004-06-22

Clicking link laughing and hoping for video… too sad, no video.

Signature 

“No man who refuses to bear arms in defense of his nation can give a sound reason why he should be allowed to live in a free country”  T. Roosevelt

“The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who are not.”  Thomas Jefferson”

“History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid” - Gen Eisenhower.

Posted: 30 November 2008 03:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Pack Member
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  240
Joined  2007-08-27
radiosound - 29 November 2008 11:14 AM

using the plastic candy cane to beat Kercell into submission.

The mental image is funny enough for me. Love the keyword: BEAT. LOL

Signature 

23/M/5’11”/160#

“The deadlift is more functional in that it’s very hard to imagine a more useful application of strength than picking heavy s**t up off the ground.“ - Coach Rip

Posted: 30 November 2008 07:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Total Posts:  4864
Joined  2004-08-27

I can just picture the deflated look on BBoJ’s face with no video to watch. It would have been fun to see.  LOL

Signature 

I hate burpees
I hate box jumps

Posted: 04 February 2009 12:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Pack Member
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  120
Joined  2009-01-01

I know this is an older post, but I just saw it, so here’s the 2 cents from my soap box:

If I understood the article right it said the man who used the hammer has a son with him. 

So, he made this boy sit down and watch him brutally attack this man that’s just sitting there sleeping.  And people wonder what’s wrong with our country? 

There is a lot of people who let their children see any and all kinds of violence (mostly T.V. and video games), don’t teach them right from wrong, (don’t protect them, after all, it’s a dog eat dog world right?), let the state or government raise their children so it doesn’t interfere with their lifestyles and actually have to spend some quality time with them.  And they wonder why “generation x” has grown up calloused, hateful, and hard as nails? 

Not only do people not care about others anymore, but I’ve even heard of people getting sued for helping someone out.  I MEAN C’MON ON!

This story is just another example of a society that’s lost its compassion and soul as a majority.

The really sad part of the story is it’s the same ol same ol.  This man has a history of violence, and yet he’s out running around doing harm to people who just want to go to work, make money, support their family, love their family, pay their taxes and be good upstanding citizens.

Where’s your soul America?

Thanx for reading.

Signature 

M/37/172/5’9”