1 of 2
Sportsmanship
Posted: 07 October 2008 04:08 PM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5197
Joined  2004-06-22

Sportsmanship- What does it mean to you ?

Signature 

“No man who refuses to bear arms in defense of his nation can give a sound reason why he should be allowed to live in a free country”  T. Roosevelt

“The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who are not.”  Thomas Jefferson”

“History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid” - Gen Eisenhower.

Posted: 07 October 2008 05:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Top Dawg
Total Posts:  1121
Joined  2008-09-02

Doing my best.
Being a good loser.
Being a gracious winner.
Helping my opponents have fun.
Being competitive, but friendly.

Following the rules.
Trying to improve, helping others improve.

Signature 

44M/ 5’7”/ 153 (damn),  Crossfit DOB 07/14/2008

FIN’S UP

Posted: 07 October 2008 07:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  4864
Joined  2004-08-27

Removing the ego.

Signature 

I hate burpees
I hate box jumps

Posted: 07 October 2008 07:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
Joined  2004-06-22

Curious
What does removing the ego mean to you ?

Signature 

“No man who refuses to bear arms in defense of his nation can give a sound reason why he should be allowed to live in a free country”  T. Roosevelt

“The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who are not.”  Thomas Jefferson”

“History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid” - Gen Eisenhower.

Posted: 07 October 2008 07:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
Joined  2004-06-22

We are using Sportsmanship as part of our Focus work in
CrossFit Kids for the next four weeks…

looking for talking points…different perspectives

Signature 

Posted: 07 October 2008 08:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Pack Member
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  300
Joined  2008-04-17

When actively engaged in competition….

-Bring your “A” game every time.  Your opponent deserves that respect.  They deserve to know they won/lost against the best you could bring, that the measure of the final score was the true measure.  That means playing hard, playing to win.
-Lose graciously.  If you brought your A game, and they brought theirs, you were bested - congratulate them and go back to training, figure out what made them better and attack the weakness in your game.
-Win even more graciously.  If your best was better than theirs, it doesn’t diminish the effort involved to get there on either side.  Congratulate them on fighting hard, thank them for the honest competition which made you elevate your own game, and look forward to the next meeting.
-Play by the rules.  Enforce the rules within your own team.  This also means respectfully arguing a bad call from time to time, but knowing when to accept that the call is final and moving on with the game.  It’s a rare occurrence indeed when a ref/umpire/official singlehandedly wins or loses an event for someone - accept the call and move on.

When cheering someone on….

-Cheer them on with enthusiasm, but with respect.  Don’t denigrate the other team.  Respect the effort that put them on the field and you in the stands.  This still holds true if it’s your child playing or a friend playing a game that isn’t “your” sport.  They worked hard, and the accomplishments are theirs alone.  Managers and coaches as the highest levels regularly refuse to accept credit for the accomplishments of the athletes playing for them - we can all learn from them.  Enjoy the accomplishments and help your atheletes and teams enjoy them.
-Let the officials officiate.  Unless you’re on the field, wearing the uniform of the official, the only impact your argument can have is a negative one on the team you’re trying to support.
-When the event is over, congratulate the winners and the losers.  See the first point above - respect and acknowledge the effort that got them there, and kept them playing until the end.
PARENTS and those who guide young atheletes - Pick the right sporting role models.  Pick the ones who got where they are through sustained, dedicated effort.  When choosing a team of any sort I look for the middle of the pack - the pluggers - before I look for the gazelles who can’t be bothered to make the extra effort.  If an athelete is good and works their rear end off to get to the lower end of great, I’ll talk that athelete up at every opportunity as an example.  On the other side, when I see a naturally gifted athelete who stays just shy of truly great because of lack of effort, I’ll dismiss them out of hand when choosing a role model to provide a young aspiring star.

Signature 

“Strong people are harder to kill than weak people, and are more useful in general.”
Mark Rippetoe

“We have reached an age where most men look like a twinkie with a butt crack and are about as useful in any kind of violent situation.”
Jeff Martin

“Most people will never train correctly, because it is hard.  I can’t think of a better way to sort the wheat from the chaff.”
Mark Rippetoe

“Everybody has a plan until they get hit.”
Mike Tyson

Posted: 07 October 2008 09:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Total Posts:  4864
Joined  2004-08-27
BlueBugofJustice - 07 October 2008 07:41 PM

Curious
What does removing the ego mean to you ?

Being proud of, and celebrating an accomplishment or setting a record, but remembering that you are not the only one on the team. Working together to help the team do great things. Being proud of your team’s accomplishments and celebrate victory without the name calling and smack talk I see so often in professional sports. It is perfectly acceptable to reward the winner. They won for a reason. Everyone is not special. Sorry, but that’s the way it is. However, I don’t think it’s necessary to harass, goad, or name-call the losing team. Shake hands and move on.

Signature 

I hate burpees
I hate box jumps

Posted: 08 October 2008 02:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Top Dawg
Total Posts:  3096
Joined  2007-03-26

I agree with the above.  To the “bring your A game” - add “your team” as well as the opponent deserves it.

Maybe something about keeping it in perspective. The game is not everything in life, tho it may feel like it at the time.

Signature 

“Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ‘Wow - what a Ride!’” -Peter Sage

Posted: 08 October 2008 09:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Total Posts:  8559
Joined  2004-07-08

Having respect for the game and all participants.

Signature 

In God we Trust all others we monitor

Posted: 08 October 2008 03:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Top Dawg
Total Posts:  2693
Joined  2007-10-02

I guess I have something a bit more specific to add to all of these good responses.

At some point, you’re going to run into someone who disrespects the game, breaks the rules, plays dirty. It’s easy to get caught up in that poor play in an effort to “get even.” I’m all for getting even, and then some, but I think it’s critical to do so in one way only: destroy your disrespectful/dirty opponents within the boundaries and rules of the game. Then you offer your hand.

It’s honorable and way more satisfying than stooping to their level.

Signature 

“I may be old, but I’m spry.”
Kramer, Seinfeld (1993)

“And in jazz, every moment is a crisis and you bring all your skill to bear on that crisis.” Wynton Marsalis

“This is punk rock, b@#%h - I’m a spectacle.”
(hed) pe, Represent (2004)

M/48/5’6”/161#

Posted: 10 October 2008 12:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  14074
Joined  2004-06-18

I have always fallen into your camp on this one Unforgibbon.

Signature 

All of life’s problems can be solved by heavy deadlifts.

M/54/5’11”/190

Posted: 10 October 2008 01:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Top Dawg
Total Posts:  1683
Joined  2008-02-14

I believe that sportsmanship, among other things, involves the understanding of two points:  The nature of the competition and whom you represent.

The nature of the competition can vary and it is important to understand whether you are at a church social or an olympic qualifier.  A sportsman will adjust their level of intensity, effort, tolerance, and other factors appropriately.  I knew a young man who was very good at soccer.  He went on to play professionally for a bit, but he could not recognize a casual game of soccer.  In an after-work pickup game he took out the knee of another player.  This was a game where we didn’t play with referees or goalies or watch the clock.  We just played.  He could not understand this and played the game at a level of intensity that was beyond the rest of us.  It was also unneccessary. 

Whom you represent takes a level of maturity to understand that in most competitions you are not alone.  You represent at least your family and possibly your team, business, town, state, country, race, religion, etc.  Sportsmanship is understanding that you represent more than yourself and that your actions, clothes, language, and actions off the field are being judged.

Posted: 13 October 2008 09:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Pack Member
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  221
Joined  2006-11-11
BlueBugofJustice - 07 October 2008 04:08 PM

not spitting on your hand before shaking hands after a loss.

Signature 

“It’s not my fault for being the biggest and the strongest.  I don’t even exercise.” —Fessik

Posted: 14 October 2008 01:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Pack Member
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  300
Joined  2008-04-17
ESSIE - 13 October 2008 09:28 PM
BlueBugofJustice - 07 October 2008 04:08 PM

not spitting on your hand before shaking hands after a loss.

But what if you’re dirty, and the spit is to CLEAN your hand, and you wipe it on your shorts before you shake?  Isn’t that a courtesy?

Signature 

“Strong people are harder to kill than weak people, and are more useful in general.”
Mark Rippetoe

“We have reached an age where most men look like a twinkie with a butt crack and are about as useful in any kind of violent situation.”
Jeff Martin

“Most people will never train correctly, because it is hard.  I can’t think of a better way to sort the wheat from the chaff.”
Mark Rippetoe

“Everybody has a plan until they get hit.”
Mike Tyson

Posted: 15 October 2008 05:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Top Dawg
Total Posts:  1083
Joined  2006-03-07

Just got the new Men’s Health. A couple good quotes about sportsmanship:

“One man practicing sportsmanship is far better than 50 preaching it.”
- Knute Rockne

“A team will always appreciate a great individual if he’s willing to sacrifice for the group.”
- Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Signature 

Life begins at 40….but so do fallen arches, rheumatism, faulty eyesight & the tendency to tell a story to the same person, 3 or 4 times -
Helen Rowland

Posted: 15 October 2008 06:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Pack Member
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  221
Joined  2006-11-11

“If you ain’t cheatin’, you ain’t tryin’ ”  my brother.  He subscribes to this especially when playing monopoly.

Signature 

“It’s not my fault for being the biggest and the strongest.  I don’t even exercise.” —Fessik

1 of 2