2 of 2
Sportsmanship
Posted: 15 October 2008 07:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Top Dawg
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2570
Joined  2005-10-27

Knute Rockne my hero

Posed this question to kids’ class on Monday just to assess where they were with this. I was pleasantly surprised to find they had some good ideas about it. It will be nice to see where the focus work goes over the next few weeks.

Posted: 15 October 2008 08:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Top Dawg
Total Posts:  1251
Joined  2006-02-06
ESSIE - 15 October 2008 06:55 AM

“If you ain’t cheatin’, you ain’t tryin’ ”  my brother.  He subscribes to this especially when playing monopoly.

It’s no wonder we get along so well. Sounds like something my family would say!

Signature 

Yeah um…there is a REASON they call him SATAN!
Fall seven times, stand up eight.
- Japanese proverb
CHECK OUT PREGGO/POST PARTUM WORKOUTS AT http://WWW.CROSSFITMOM.COM

Posted: 15 October 2008 08:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Top Dawg
Total Posts:  2961
Joined  2008-04-08

I think it’s great you guys are addressing this with your kids.
Another way you are positively affecting tomorrow’s butt kickers.

Signature 

28/m/6’2”/215/BF8.9%
CrossFit Birth: April 8, 2008 (BW 245)

“Performance is directly correlated with intensity. Intensity is directly correlated with discomfort.” -Coach Glassman
“Get Comfortable with Uncomfortable.” -Coach OPT

-||||———||||-
“Machines were invented to keep wankers off the barbells.” -Greg Everett

Posted: 16 October 2008 09:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Top Dawg
Total Posts:  2765
Joined  2007-12-19

Teen Soccer Player Charged With Beating Referee
VENTURA (AP) ― A teen soccer player allegedly punched a volunteer referee after a call during an AYSO game in the Oak Park section of Ventura County.

Sheriff’s Capt. Ross Bonfiglio says the 14-year-old boy was cited for alleged felony battery causing serious injury. Ventura County prosecutors are examining the case this week.

American Youth Soccer Organization regional commissioner Jim Lyon says referee Gary Saxer’s injuries were extensive and he required hospital treatment. The 54-year-old referee hasn’t commented.

Investigators say Saxer issued a “yellow card” during an Oct. 4 game at Deerhill Park that warned the teen about an illegal move.

The player then allegedly beat the referee.

Signature 

M 44yrs 6’2/218

Posted: 17 October 2008 05:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Pack Member
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  179
Joined  2008-06-30

I was always taught and encouraged that sportsmanship comes between the whistles.  When the game is on you need to go as hard as you can and do whatever you can to win and perform your role.  Be it a hard pick, a bone jarring hit, holding a little on the reciever etc.  But once the whistle blows there is no showboating, no taunting, no thumping your chest, none of that crap.  You pick yourself up off the ground and or offer a hand to the person you just blew up and go back to the huddle or sideline and wait for the next whistle.  Whoever said in Football “Act like you have been there before.” Meant a lot to me. 

Hand shakes after the game.  If I won I have no issue extending my hand.  If I lose, I don’t want to.  Call it bad sportsmanship, but I am mad at myself (not them) for failing.  I am usually exhausted and trying to figure out how we lost and what do we do to win next time around.  I remember after a college rugby game going all out and being absolutely rubbish at the end.  When the teams went to shake hands I could not bring myself to do it.  We had lost by a couple of points but I left everything out on the field and needed a few minutes to come to grips with it.  I apologized at the drink up though and then shook hands and downed more than a few to make up for it.

Signature 

34 Years old - 6’1” and 240 pounds down from low point in life of 270 and goal of 220

Posted: 17 October 2008 03:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  683
Joined  2004-07-06

Losing with dignity. Winning with humility.

Signature 

Life isn’t about surviving the storm~It is about learning how to dance in the rain…

Be honorable yourself if you wish to associate with honorable people.

2 of 2