1 of 5
Recovery
Posted: 09 October 2008 05:59 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  13274
Joined  2007-01-30

Okay, something I don’t see much of so I thought I’d start a thread.  Here are my basic thoughts (and the impetus for this thread is a cold of indeterminate effect .  . . I’m not 100% but not dead yet):

I tend to think of fitness as requiring 3 “legs” to stand on.

Stimulus (exercise)
Fuel (food)
Rest/Recovery.

Of the three, the one I don’t have a good plan for is the rest/recovery phase.  I tend not to get that much sleep during the week. 

So what are some of the things folks do to maximize this?  I think, for starters, I think I need to focus on a couple more things:

1) Sufficent sleep.  7 hours is probably not enough (and that’s just rack time, not actual sleep time, though I do fall asleep pretty quick).
2) Pay more attention to the soft tissue things, like rolling around on my foam roller, etc.. 
3) Active rest days.  Doing something on “rest” days besides figuring how many beers I can have and stay on the zone . . . (7.5 if you’re asking . . . ).

Any ideas?  What works? What doesn’t? 

TP

Signature 

The common denominator of success—- the secret of success of every man who has ever been successful—- lies in the fact that he formed the habit of doing things that failures don’t like to do.—Albert Grey

“Really Connor? Really?”—Jeff Martin

http://rantopedia.blogspot.com/ (my blog)
http://www.facebook.com/patrick.hoffman1

M-47/5’11”/180lbs

There’s a reason they don’t call it “Fight Gone Good”.

Posted: 09 October 2008 06:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Top Dawg
Total Posts:  2961
Joined  2008-04-08

Good Topic TP.

I am also interested in how much sleep is needed.  I have a bad habit of staying up late for no reason.
What amount to people need to stay effective?

Signature 

28/m/6’2”/215/BF8.9%
CrossFit Birth: April 8, 2008 (BW 245)

“Performance is directly correlated with intensity. Intensity is directly correlated with discomfort.” -Coach Glassman
“Get Comfortable with Uncomfortable.” -Coach OPT

-||||———||||-
“Machines were invented to keep wankers off the barbells.” -Greg Everett

Posted: 09 October 2008 06:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Top Dawg
Total Posts:  1121
Joined  2008-09-02

The sleep I need is more than I get.

I am stuck right now, I am getting stronger, but cannot gain mass. I am pretty sure it has to do with sleep, although stress effects both sleep and eating.

It seems to be at least eight hours of quality sleep. I say at least, because I don’t remember the last time I got a consistent 8 hours for multiple days.

Signature 

44M/ 5’7”/ 153 (damn),  Crossfit DOB 07/14/2008

FIN’S UP

Posted: 09 October 2008 12:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Stray Dawg
RankRank
Total Posts:  17
Joined  2008-09-28

That’s a good question.  I found that you just have to set a hard time to go to bed.  Typically you will know that you are kind of tired but you push through because you want to keeping doing whatever activity, reading, watching tv, gaming, hanging with friends ect.  Most people think its lame to say, “sorry got to go to bed” when it’s 9pm or even 10pm, as well as feeling like your missing out on something.  You have to set that time aside and like when you first got into working out, its changing or building a routine.  It takes time.  Typically 2-3 cycles of REM sleep are recommended, ie, 7 1/2 hrs to 9 hrs of sleep.  It also doesnt really matter when you set it aside, but remember humans are daytime creatures and working or staying up at night isn’t kind to your body.  It takes a full seven days of a normal day time schedule to recover your body from one all nighter.  I garauntee that your body is telling you when your tired, especially if you are hitting the WOD hard and throwing more on top of that through work or other workouts.  It’s just getting your butt between the sheets.  Just do it.

Posted: 09 October 2008 01:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Top Dawg
Joined  2008-04-08

TB: You nailed it.  I just don’t have the will power to stick to my guns and hit the hay at 10pm.
I’ll have to work on it.

Signature 

28/m/6’2”/215/BF8.9%

“Performance is directly correlated with intensity. Intensity is directly correlated with discomfort.” -Coach Glassman

-||||———||||-

Posted: 09 October 2008 01:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Joined  2007-01-30

TB,

As with BMatt, I agree.  I need to set a bedtime for me too . . . but right after I complete this one quest on Oblivion Elder Scrolls . . . wink  Crud.  If I can weigh my food . . . I can go to bed at 9 . . .

Anyone with any “as soon as I started sleeping more, my weight went down faster than my Fran times, as well as giving me minty fresh breath” stories?  wink

Signature 

The common denominator of success—- the secret of success of every man who has ever been successful—- lies in the fact that he formed the habit of doing things that failures don’t like to do.—Albert Grey

M-47/5’11”/180lbs

Posted: 09 October 2008 02:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Top Dawg
Total Posts:  1121
Joined  2008-09-02

For me it is some of the only time I get to speak with my wife or alone to read. I need to work on it and I need to slow down just a bit so that when I do hit my head to the pillow that I go to sleep.

just one more thing to work on.

Signature 

44M/ 5’7”/ 153 (damn),  Crossfit DOB 07/14/2008

FIN’S UP

Posted: 09 October 2008 03:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Big Dawg
RankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  309
Joined  2008-07-09

Anyone with any “as soon as I started getting the 8-month and 2-yr old in bed I was sleeping more, my weight went down faster than my Fran times, as well as giving me minty fresh breath” stories?

I’ve dealt with sleep issues for the past 10 years or so, kids having nothing to do with it.  Still trying to figure out the magic cure.

Signature 

Eh, it builds character.

That which doesn’t kill you, only makes you stronger.
Never limit yourself.  Affect the outcome.  Temper Expectations.
080714 - Present

Posted: 09 October 2008 04:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Top Dawg
Total Posts:  3096
Joined  2007-03-26
TexasPatrick - 09 October 2008 05:59 AM

Any ideas?  What works? What doesn’t? 

What doesn’t work:
—too much driving
—not enough activity on “off” days. I don’t sleep if I don’t do anything active
—hot baths
—metcon late in the evening -  I’ll sleep well but then wake 4 hours later and can’t go back to sleep. So in my ideal world, I’d be able to workout at lunchtime.

What works
—consistent yoga practice. I sleep much deeper.
—spending time outdoors in the evening
—weekends

Hope you feel better soon!

Signature 

“Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ‘Wow - what a Ride!’” -Peter Sage

Posted: 09 October 2008 06:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Top Dawg
Total Posts:  3675
Joined  2007-12-23

Consistency is a big part of the equation, with children as well as adults, you just have to follow the schedule and stop whatever activity it is. (and really is world of war craft any more important than watching Mulan one more time?) You’ll probably lose weight because you won’t be having that late night snack, which is usually our bodies way of saying I’m running down-carbs or sleep which is it going to be?

Signature 

CrossFit start date September 2007, joined the these boards December 2007

“Real strength never impairs beauty or harmony, but it often bestows it; and in everything imposingly beautiful, strength has much to do with the magic.”
- Hermin Melville

F/52yrs

Posted: 09 October 2008 08:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  5197
Joined  2004-06-22

Shark like you and your wife,
For Jeff and I late night is our time together so we can’t really skip it
often on the computer til 930 or 10..then need some down time- it is a solid 6 for us and only bout 1 sunday a month do we get 8
sometimes.. ( no early soccer games, certs or wrestling matches)

I know how much better I feel if I get 8 even once a week- it is an amazing difference in mood.

So we have handled this inability to get enough sleep at night by trying to sneak in a few naps during the week.
It helps but is not a complete remedy.

Signature 

“No man who refuses to bear arms in defense of his nation can give a sound reason why he should be allowed to live in a free country”  T. Roosevelt

“The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who are not.”  Thomas Jefferson”

“History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid” - Gen Eisenhower.

Posted: 09 October 2008 08:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Top Dawg
Total Posts:  2765
Joined  2007-12-19

I’m trying to get a full 8 hours lately and feel great when I do.  But it’s the exception rather than the rule.  The nights I get 6-well, I rely on lot’s of Peet’s coffee the next day, which sets me up for a horrible night’s sleep.  And so the cycle goes.

But at least I get to see my wife for a few minutes without the distractions of the day.  That makes it worth it.

Signature 

M 44yrs 6’2/218

Posted: 10 October 2008 02:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Joined  2007-01-30
radiosound - 09 October 2008 08:16 PM

The nights I get 6-well, I rely on lot’s of Peet’s coffee the next day

Mmm. Peet’s . . . . Major Dickason’s blend . . . mmmmm.

Signature 

M-47/5’11”/180lbs

Posted: 10 October 2008 07:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Top Dawg
Joined  2008-04-08

Who’s Peet?
I’m guessing someone somehow related to Tim up here in the North?

Signature 

28/m/6’2”/215/BF8.9%

-||||———||||-

Posted: 10 October 2008 07:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Top Dawg
Total Posts:  2765
Joined  2007-12-19

Peet’s is coffee so strong it gives many people a stomach ache.  If I’m in the right mode, and they’ve brewed it correctly, it makes my teeth vibrate.

Signature 

M 44yrs 6’2/218

Posted: 10 October 2008 07:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Top Dawg
Total Posts:  1683
Joined  2008-02-14
BathMatt - 10 October 2008 07:05 AM

Who’s Peet?
I’m guessing someone somehow related to Tim up here in the North?

Legendary coffee and 35 varieties of mini donut-holes (Timbits).  Wow.  Now I have a reason to take a jaunt up to Fernie.

1 of 5